The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 08:08 PM

Default less expensive Irish made

I really like the Irish sound but the ones Im aware are too expensive. Is there an Irish builder that doesnt want me to sell my car?
Old 06-24-2021, 08:27 PM

You can pick up a used Irish-made Avalon Gold Series from the early-2K's for around $1200 - the 16" mini-jumbo A-bodies (A-200/201) in particular punch way above their weight...
Old 06-25-2021, 02:46 AM

Default Used Lowden?

Depending on your budget you should be able to pick up a used Lowden for under £2000. The Japanese built instruments are usually less expensive, the more recent Downpatrick ones attract the highest prices, with the mid-period Newtownards models somewhere in between. Having played many Lowden instruments from all these period my preference is for Downpatrick models built from 2004 - rectangular label - top notch build quality and in nearly every example very responsive and overtone-laden.

For me the ultimate Lowden instruments are the largest O models. Not as comfortable to play, especially if you’re of a smaller build, as the F or S models but they epitomise the expansive signature Lowden sound.

The Avalon suggestion is a good one. They have a similar sound at significantly lower prices c. £1500.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:13 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I really like the Irish sound but the ones Im aware are too expensive. Is there an Irish builder that doesnt want me to sell my car?
Take a look at Furch also. Similar modern tone. The price ranges of the Furch are more affordable.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

McIlroy's are typically about $1,000 less than Lowdens with the same or better features.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

There is a Japanese made Flambeau LFW3 designed by George Lowden right now on Reverb for $750. These were made in the 1980s by Yairi when George was doing his Lowden models there. And although it may not be exactly what you want it might be a good one to have for not much money.

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 06-25-2021, 08:16 AM

This is what Bill at Fretted Buffalo had to say about a Furch made Avalon D200 Gold series.

"The Avalon guitar company experimented with "offshore" building of a few lines of their outstanding guitars, including a short lived arrangement with the Furch shop. Just 150 of these dreads were built by Furch for Avalon (I believe it was 150 of the cedar top dreads as well), the only exception to the Avalon Gold Series guitars which were built by the craftsmen at Avalons' Newtownards Northern Ireland shop. These guitars were nicely done with a unique tone - not a lot in common with the Irish built Golds. The tongue and groove necks came from Furch, exclusively. See that, and know it was Czech Republic built @Furch. Avalon ended it's short experiment in offshoring well over 10 years ago, and has since been hand building all of its guitars at the Newtownards shop."
Old 06-25-2021, 08:33 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Here's a couple of sloppy sound clips by me played on my 2016 Avalon Ard Ri (spruce over rosewood) and Furch. The Furch is a 2020 Yellow Gc-CR (cedar over rosewood). Really not that much of a difference to my ears. It's not a Martin vs Taylor kind of tonal difference in my opinion. Over time I'm sure the cedar Furch will have a much more mellow tone, but right now it is only slightly so.

Avalon:

Furch:

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 06-25-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Hi mercy

What makes a guitar/instrument sound Irish?

Some of the best 'Irish' guitar I heard was played on an Olson. Of course you'd still need the budget in the 'car' range.

Irish to me is a style, not a builder from a certain region.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-25-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Looks to me that right now, there are 6 Avalons on reverb for less than $3000. This one looks like a particularly good deal to me at about $2500 US: https://reverb.com/ca/item/41394956-...8L74gZXuucr_w4
Old 06-25-2021, 08:58 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi mercy

What makes a guitar/instrument sound Irish?

Some of the best 'Irish' guitar I heard was played on an Olson. Of course you'd still need the budget in the 'car' range.

Irish to me is a style, not a builder from a certain region.

Good question, LJ. Maybe some cross association of Celtic->DADGAD->Irish->Avalon?

I love the tone of Olson guitars, but my wallet doesn't

I bought my Furch from Brickhouse Guitars in Canada. All the prices here are in CA$ so you have to convert. Unfortunately they don't sell Avalon. Both are fine guitars, but if the OP can't find an Avalon in budget, Furch is a good substitute, IMO.

https://brickhouseguitars.com/?s=fur...t_type=product

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Good question, LJ. Maybe some cross association of Celtic->DADGAD->Irish->Avalon?

I love the tone of Olson guitars, but my wallet doesn't
Hi Barry
I'm just saying, Irish fiddle players don't necessarily buy/play fiddles built in Ireland. Some do, and in interviews reveal they want to support local industry.

And Avalon is a late comer to the game, since they were modeled after Lowden, and even associated with them for a season. But Fylde is not Irish and lots of Irish players use them. They are English.

And I've seen my share of Irish bands with acoustic players using Martins too.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-25-2021, 09:33 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Barry
I'm just saying, Irish fiddle players don't necessarily buy/play fiddles built in Ireland. Some do, and in interviews reveal they want to support local industry.

And Avalon is a late comer to the game, since they were modeled after Lowden, and even associated with them for a season. But Fylde is not Irish and lots of Irish players use them. They are English.

And I've seen my share of Irish bands with acoustic players using Martins too.

Exactly LJ, I understood. I was just taking a stab at the "Irish" association.

My wife is an Irish lass and when I forget to do something on her honey-do list I can tell you something about Irish tone,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Exactly LJ, I understood. I was just taking a stab at the "Irish" association.

My wife is an Irish lass and when I forget to do something on her honey-do list I can tell you something about Irish tone,
That's hilarious! But, I can guarantee you that the honey-do tone is in no way just Irish.

I like playing Irish music and honestly, I have found that many makers and types of guitars can fill that role just fine. Just as a Martin D18 or D28 variant is considered the "go to" bluegrass tone, there are many guitars that can and have been used to play bluegrass.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…when I forget to do something on her honey-do list I can tell you something about Irish tone,
Hi Barry
Swedish/Welsh tone can be pretty edgy too!!! (Ask me after having the same 'girl friend' for 54 years).

It's like Irish minus the red hair…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion