The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin 000 15S or Sm

I have played a few 000 15SM and always liked them but once played a 000 15S and liked it better. I understand the specs are nearly identical and realize my experience might just be a fluke. But I wonder does anyone have experience with both enough to comment on the two 000 Martins?
Old 06-24-2021, 08:42 PM

I always found the 12-fret 000-15SM "bigger" sounding, in terms of both frequency response and volume potential - not surprising, given the larger soundplate surface area and greater air-chamber volume - and unless you like to do a lot of soloing above the 9th fret IMO the -SM is the better all-around choice, especially when fitted with a set of Martin Retro Monel strings. The only caveat, as with any hardwood-top guitar (mahogany family, koa, walnut), is that you have to pound the snot out of it (think Pete Townshend here) an hour or so a day for the first 4-6 months to break it in properly - there's a reason those Depression-era Style 17 barndance/juke-joint veterans are such little tone monsters, and it's not just the century-old wood - but when you do, you'll put the lie to the "conventional wisdom" that all-mahogany guitars lack character/volume/dynamic range...
Old 06-25-2021, 03:07 AM

The S will inevitably be older, and is more likely to be constructed from "genuine" mahogany. I owned an SM and liked it a lot, but given the choice I'd probably choose the S if I could find one.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:37 AM

Some years ago I bought a 000-15 s ,it was excellent.A few days later I found a very good deal on the newer sm.Thinking that it was going to be even better I returned the s to the shop and bought the sm.That was the biggest mistake I ever did,guitar wise.The old s was definetely much better sounding.I still regret it.
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 06-25-2021, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoli View Post
Some years ago I bought a 000-15 s ,it was excellent.A few days later I found a very good deal on the newer sm.Thinking that it was going to be even better I returned the s to the shop and bought the sm.That was the biggest mistake I ever did,guitar wise.The old s was definetely much better sounding.I still regret it.
By looking at the specs you would think this should not be the case. And perhaps isn't most of the time. But it was exactly the same for me. Thanks for the comments folks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion