The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
couple nights ago and we both looked at each other and she said "I know they're speaking English, but I can't understand a single word".
I was born and raised in England and I have a hard time understanding him sometimes
Old 06-24-2021, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Seriously, though, my wife and I watched the Netflix episode a couple nights ago and we both looked at each other and she said "I know they're speaking English, but I can't understand a single word".
Yeah, and we English say exactly the same thing about quite a few Americans, including some noteworthy celebrities and public figures!

What’s it they say about “Two nations divided by a common language”!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-24-2021, 03:42 PM

Apparently if anyone other than you opens the hard case the guitar punches you in the face.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-24-2021, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
They definitely had a solid 5 hits that I'm aware of. I was shocked to learn recently (today, actually) they sold 75 million records. That's 15 million more than Pearl Jam and some other serious bands. Who'd a thought?! Still, they have another 100+ million to go before they catch the Beatles. (Better start writing on that shiny new Gibson, Noel!)
Fixed it for you. Serious bands? Sometimes I forget how US-centric this place is. Oasis were every bit as serious a band as Pearl Jam. The first two albums were probably just as popular around the world as Pearl Jam's first two (though, even as a PJ fan, Oasis' sophomore album was waaaaay more consistent!). As a songwriter, Noel Gallagher too was perhaps at that time, getting up there with the Beatles. Granted his brother was/is a bit of an a***, but outside America, Oasis were probably one of the most influential in getting people to play the acoustic guitar: love it or loathe it, "Wonderwall" remains one of the most busked or jammed songs at parties etc in history.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Fixed it for you. Serious bands? Sometimes I forget how US-centric this place is. Oasis were every bit as serious a band as Pearl Jam. The first two albums were probably just as popular around the world as Pearl Jam's first two (though, even as a PJ fan, Oasis' sophomore album was waaaaay more consistent!). As a songwriter, Noel Gallagher too was perhaps at that time, getting up there with the Beatles. Granted his brother was/is a bit of an a***, but outside America, Oasis were probably one of the most influential in getting people to play the acoustic guitar: love it or loathe it, "Wonderwall" remains one of the most busked or jammed songs at parties etc in history.
The difference is, Pearl Jam can still sell out an arena tour in a blink. They’re ballpark with oasis in album sales, oasis on top, you’re right. But I wouldn’t put oasis on the same level with Pearl Jam, just for the staying power alone. Maybe that’s not fair and if Liam would get his act together, we’d really see what demand for oasis tickets is like. But there really isn’t a touring act of that time period with the sustained demand and longevity of Pearl Jam. I’m sure if you look up a net worth of Noel G vs Eddie Vedder you’d see a different story there. Another example, maybe better as a UK band rising at the same time, is Radiohead. Not near the album sales (according to google) but their talent, innovation, longevity, and influence is vastly beyond what I think of with oasis. Yet oasis sold 75 million records! Maybe I’m crazy, but how did Radiohead not smash that?

Last edited by zoopeda; 06-24-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I'd highly recommend the documentary "Supersonic" about Oasis even if you're not a fan. It's a really cool look at their history, formation, epic rise to global domination and the hilarious and ridiculous relationship between Liam and Noel. It's a really good watch, even if you've never heard of them.

I realize that not everyone was paying attention, but if you were a Gen Xer or thereabouts, they were so gigantically popular for several years and they were just unavoidable. I think they were worthy of the praise and the ego they got from it all.

I'd also recommend the "BritPop" episode of the new netflix series "This is Pop". It focuses on them pretty largely and is a fun watch...that whole series has been entertaining.
Thanks, I’ll check it out! I was in middle school when super sonic, around when I started on acoustic guitar (although not because of oasis). I was going to concerts and playing guitar through high school and college when oasis got “bigger than the Beatles.” Actually, when Noel said that I though, “no way, but I outta give another listen just in case.” Then they kinda fell off the map without hearing much else outta them. I even lived in the UK for the summer of 2001. We were all playing guitar and trading records, just wasn’t hearing much else from them after that initial big explosion. His voice does seem to have aged well in the above clips though. I’ll check out the supersonic documentary. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:12 PM

I did really enjoy their live cover of “I am the Walrus.”
As much as I liked them as a band, their is not a single song of theirs that I’d call brilliant or revolutionary. Certainly the Beatles had quite a few songs that would qualify.

Scott
Old 06-24-2021, 05:08 PM

Bozeman reissuing a Bozeman designed guitar.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
I was lucky enough to order one on Monday. I hope to get it in my hands next week. They sold out out very quickly.
Congrats! So I’m not a Gibson expert. What’s special about this guitar vs other gibsons? What’s to really like about it, Oasis aside?
Old 06-24-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
The difference is, Pearl Jam can still sell out an arena tour in a blink. They’re ballpark with oasis in album sales, oasis on top, you’re right. But I wouldn’t put oasis on the same level with Pearl Jam, just for the staying power alone. Maybe that’s not fair and if Liam would get his act together, we’d really see what demand for oasis tickets is like. But there really isn’t a touring act of that time period with the sustained demand and longevity of Pearl Jam. I’m sure if you look up a net worth of Noel G vs Eddie Vedder you’d see a different story there. Another example, maybe better as a UK band rising at the same time, is Radiohead. Not near the album sales (according to google) but their talent, innovation, longevity, and influence is vastly beyond what I think of with oasis. Yet oasis sold 75 million records! Maybe I’m crazy, but how did Radiohead not smash that?
Totally agree with you on longevity - Pearl Jam certainly win that battle, but in the beginning, Oasis held their own. When all the tensions started bubbling up, I hoped the sibling rivalry would die down and they'd match those first two albums - and check out some of their B sides and single bonus tracks from that period too. However, it wasn't to be. (And we'll also agree to differ on Radiohead, who after one fine debut album in 'Pablo Honey' and a handful of singles, then went on to become, in many people's eyes, the most overrated band of all time!)

To return to the guitar, I would be interested to hear from dodge when he gets it to see exactly what differences there are between the Noel and standard models - main differences look like a skinnier nut width and a slim taper profile.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
And we'll also agree to differ on Radiohead, who after one fine debut album in 'Pablo Honey' and a handful of singles, then went on to become, in many people's eyes, the most overrated band of all time!
Sigh. No idea how old you are or where you were in the mid 90s, but it’s not hyperbole to say OK Computer (the one after Pablo Honey) was the single most groundbreaking album of its genre of the entire decade. Prescient, innovative. Just about every track on that album could be its own single. Purely original. Nothing remotely formulaic about it. Another band that seems to be standing the test of time, for those who have the ears to hear it...
Old 06-24-2021, 07:51 PM

I would have to agree that Radiohead was years beyond Oasis as far as how influential they were and ground-breaking in many ways. I really always thought of Oasis as a really good pop band that could snarl better than most.

scott
Old 06-24-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Just my personal opinion, but comparing Oasis to Pearl Jam is a losing battle to me as they are completely different bands but Oasis wins in every meaningful category other than longevity….which actually is another win cuz they’ve been way more successful with way less time and with way less product to offer.

Pearl Jam is a great band, but they are way closer to the Grateful Dead or phish than anyrhjng else. They had commercial success for about 4 years total and built a huge audience in America that still follows them around. Grab anyone on the street and ask them if they know Pearl Jam…maybe, even probably, but have them name you a song or two…they probably can’t. Pearl Jam has had no staying power or cultural relevance for 25 years. They have a serious dedicated fan base and that is undeniable, but it’s in its own bubble.

Oasis was way bigger globally, sold more, and if they could get along, they would have easily sold another 50+ million albums, maybe more. Beyond that, though, their music was everywhere for a decade, but has staying power, especially outside of America. Full soccer stadiums break into songs al over the world to this day…it’s the biggest sport on earth and their songs are part of that landscape inextricably. Stop those same people from earlier on the street, I bet you way more an Oasis song and could probably even sing one.

It’s a fun conversation and discussion for sure, but Oasis is now, always has been and forever will be the bigger band.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Number of great songs and how long they stand the test of time are a big deal. Pearl Jam was raised only as a band of similar stature at around the same time, not at all an intentional comparison of the one band against the other. (Although if you think Pearl Jam was only big for four years, you weren’t paying attention to them in the 2000s...) Oasis had a few catchy songs, and I’m glad they’re coming back in fashion with this latest renewed interest in 90s music we’ve seen lately. They’re different bands for sure.

Last edited by zoopeda; 06-24-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

This must be my US-Centric viewpoint, but I had no idea Oasis was that popular. I remember them being all over the Radio and MTV with songs like Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova, but I never would have guessed 75 Million records sold. Particularly since they broke up relatively soon after breaking out.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion