The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-23-2021, 09:24 PM

Default Any of you go see “In The Heights” yet?

This movie came out a couple of weeks ago and got excellent reviews (96% positive on Rotten Tomatoes.) Have any of you seen it?

I have, but want to hear from some of you before sharing my own opinion and thoughts.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-23-2021, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

I saw it last week with my girlfriend and one of my sons. His mom went the night before, and loved it. She said it didn’t seem like a musical, so even though my son and girlfriend don’t like musicals, we went anyway.

Well it is a full blown musical. They didn’t like it so much, but I thought the acting and singing were excellent, and it moves right along. At times it’s like a Bollywood movie, with large groups of dancers filling the streets, all done Latino style with lots of passion and creativity.

There are some subtitles, but lots of Spanish words and phrases get mixed with the primarily English dialogue without them. I’m pretty fluent in Spanish and really enjoyed that aspect, and the meaning of most of what’s said in Spanish is obvious from the context. The movie has been criticized for some reasons I won’t get into, but has lots of spirit and a very positive message.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-24-2021, 04:32 AM

My wife saw it with a girlfriend (I had an appointment that conflicted with the show time). She really enjoyed it, but thought it was unlikely I would like it (because many musicals don’t appeal to me….though one exception was “Hamilton”, which we first saw on Broadway, and we also watched the version that was broadcast on Disney+: it was recorded within a few months of when we saw it on Broadway, and most of the cast members were the same).

She also said that it was clear that this was written prior to “Hamilton”, and that “Hamilton” showed greater assurance and a more complete fruition of Lin Manuel Miranda’s skills and artistic vision. But given the beauty and power and momentum of “Hamilton”, it isn’t at all surprising that “Heights” doesn’t quite reach the same heights. “Hamilton might well be a once in a generation experience.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:40 AM

Lin Manuel wrote much of the show while he was a student at Wesleyan University in Middletown CT. The high school there put on a production of ‘In the Heights’ about five years ago and Lin Manuel kindly sent a note in advance telling the kids ‘to break a leg’ and that ‘he wrote much of the show in the ‘Athenian Diner’ on Washington Street. Interestingly, Middletown High School has a very diverse student body and was possibly the perfect group to portray the residents of Washington Heights, NYC.

Rick
Old 06-24-2021, 10:15 AM

I saw In The Heights the day it came out and really liked it. It had a lot of energy, and really magnetic lead in Anthony Ramos, and a good bunch of supporting actors, especially Corey Hawkins of whom there just wasn't enough. Maybe my expectations were on the low side since I didn't really love, or maybe even like, Crazy Rich Asians (which I as an Asian America supported in spirit nevertheless).

The music was great, and a couple of the numbers were really quite magical. I think this kind of movie was in Jon M. Chu's wheelhouse, so it really played to his strengths with pretty good results.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:12 PM

I went and saw it, and enjoyed it, especially the musical numbers. Without those there’d be no point in watching the movie at all, in my opinion. They’re dazzling.

The scenes between the songs didn’t flow nearly so well, I thought. Overall it was good, but if I’d been one of the reviewers publishing reviews, mine would have been tempered by acknowledging the slow spots. I didn’t find the movie to be endless bliss.

That’s just my perspective, of course. I’m glad you guys liked it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-25-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I went and saw it, and enjoyed it, especially the musical numbers. Without those there’d be no point in watching the movie at all, in my opinion. They’re dazzling.

The scenes between the songs didn’t flow nearly so well, I thought. Overall it was good, but if I’d been one of the reviewers publishing reviews, mine would have been tempered by acknowledging the slow spots. I didn’t find the movie to be endless bliss.

That’s just my perspective, of course. I’m glad you guys liked it.

Wade Hampton Miller
I'd agree with most of this: some of the song settings are amazing- especially the outdoor pool - the cast are excellent too, but it could have been edited down by about fifteen minutes. I should say that I basically hate (silent c) rap, other than Michael Franti and Dub War/Skindred. As a result, I dismissed Hamilton when it came out, though took boombox junior to see it in London under duress. However, I loved it and will happily have the soundtrack on in the car over pretty much anything contemporary I am forced to endure as the father of a teenager. I'd say the music in ITH is probably better too and if it does now get a revival, I will go to see it on stage. It will be interesting to see how well it does outside America: there is no real Latin/Hispanic community here in the UK who might identify with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic