The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 05:36 AM

BC TAD 40. My second choice would be a Primetone 88.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-24-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I think it does matter because every single pick I play sounds and plays differently. If I pick up my Dunlop Jazztone 207 I have a very different experience while playing than if I use a Fender celluloid 351 in medium gauge. My guitar sounds very different and the physicality of my playing changes.

I accept that you will sound very different to me if you were playing those two picks on the same guitar I was using. However, that doesn't change the fact that different picks sound and play differently in a player's hands.

These pick threads are not about finding the best pick for everyone (or we would all be using the same pick!) but about the choices that work for individuals. And what they do is give some ideas to other players of picks they may try. I come across a new pick to try out pretty much every time we have a pick thread on AGF.
I know what you mean, when you say these threads is about getting an idea about different picks to try, but the details still doesn´t matter IMO, that´s just some nerdy and subjective stuff :-) I know many like that and it´s fine offcourse, that´s also what this forum is about, but the OP asks about what´s your #1 pick for strumming, and i think people in this thread comes with a lot of good answers, that can inspire. Actually i think to much nerdy detailed stuff sometimes confuses more in the hunt for a good pick.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:11 AM

I've tried just about everything short of Blue Chip or Charmed Life.

So far, I only like conventional medium sized teardrops:

Tortex 0.073 (Yellow) is my "Usual," my preference for a bit more cut.
For a darker sound, I used to like the heavier Hercos, but I've pretty much changed over to the celluloid Mediums, any brand is okay for my purposes.
Sometimes I like more compression or pick "noise" to I'll use a thinner pick with more slap.

I like PrimeTones (1.5) for flatpicking, but other than that I find the Ultex/Primetone material a bit dull. Need to get some of the Tortex 1.4s to try I guess, though I might want to put a bit of a taper on them.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:40 AM

Fender Mediums since 1974. Tortoise color. Ever once in a while I get a wild hair and buy them in fake pearl.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:45 AM

I was a long time (well, relatively long time) user of Dunlop Red Polycarbonate but have switched over recently to Ibanez Steve Vai.

They're 1mm, quite warm sounding and need a little bevelling to get going.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_ste...ick_set_gn.htm

If they're good enough for this guy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyJy...H676E&index=19
Old 06-24-2021, 06:58 AM

Jim Dunlop Primetone, 73 or 88 Sculpted
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021
Old 06-24-2021, 07:14 AM

For many years it was Herco Golds. Recently I've been using the Apollo casein larger teardrop ("i" shape) in a thicker 1.4 and am really enjoying the more versatile tonal properties (point vs. shoulder) and feel on the strings.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

I used to use .8-1.0 picks of various materials. Then i bought a Gravity classic 1.5 and love the feel and sound of it. Also it comes in a vibrant green color which makes it hard to lose. Worth every bit of the $5 i paid.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-24-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

If I'm recording, I'll usually pick up a Blue Chip or Charmed Life Vespel large triangle somewhere around 1.0mm. I've also come to really like the Charmed Life blond picks in 1.0mm large triangle. For gigging I always keep a pocket full of Clayton Ultex large triangle .80mm picks. Not really sure why it's always a pocket full as I rarely drop or lose a pick, but it would suck if I did and didn't have a backup (or 12).
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-24-2021, 08:07 AM

Wow, I'm a heavy weight I guess. I'm using a Blue Chip CT-55 (which is also my mandolin pick) for Bluegrass/Americana on an adi topped dread. I prefer a heavier pick with a lighter attack. It's a LOT less effort to get the sound out. Most bluegrassers I know use even heavier picks. BTW, I've been using the same BC pick for 8 years now with no wear.

When I played rhythm in a contradance band (jigs and reels at 100+ BPM) and wanted more pick noise to articulate the rhythm, I went down to a TAD 40
Old 06-24-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
I can’t settle on just one if it kills me.
For both strumming & flatpicking, my favorite of the moment out of the dozen I have on the go depends on whether I'm playing 6- or 12-string. If I had to winnow it down to just one, it would be the Dunlop celluloid extra-heavy, which is subject to change without notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
D’Andrea Classic Celluloid in medium-heavy (.84mm.)

whm
You've piqued my curiosity about D’Andrea picks, so I've put a few on order. They get some glowing reviews at Strings By Mail.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Great video Andy!

I still think that Vespel is too even across the strings when strumming (no scoop) and a bit "plastic" in tone. I like a bit more of a skim rather than a shout off the mids and trebles when strumming. BC picks are darn easy to use though, and great for individual note picking - it's just the strumming that they mess up - way too LOUD compared to the bass strike in boom/chuck. At least they are in my hands!

If that maple Waterloo ever needs a new home, you let me know.
I tend to agree. I wish BC made a thinner pick.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Six View Post
For both strumming & flatpicking, my favorite of the moment out of the dozen I have on the go depends on whether I'm playing 6- or 12-string. If I had to winnow it down to just one, it would be the Dunlop celluloid extra-heavy, which is subject to change without notice.

You've piqued my curiosity about D’Andrea picks, so I've put a few on order. They get some glowing reviews at Strings By Mail.
What is the sell with D’Andrea picks? I glanced at their website due to this thread and at a glance, they look like knock offs of various other companies.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPJ77 View Post
What is the sell with D’Andrea picks? I glanced at their website due to this thread and at a glance, they look like knock offs of various other companies.
This has to be a spoof

PS. In the 1920s they designed the pick shapes we are all familiar with. They were the first to use celluloid back in the 20s. Everyone is coping them, not the other way around.

EDIT: Actually, there are no doubt lots of folks here on AGF who are not a sad pick geek like me and have not been interested in the history of the guitar pick. And so would not know the significance of the D'Andrea company.

There is a nice resume of the history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%27Andrea_Picks

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 06-24-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:24 AM

I have a number or premium picks including blue chip, charmed life, apollo, wegen, primetone, etc. For strumming I have been preferring softer materials, and really like the Dunlop Gator Grips .96 or 1.14, and also really like the Taylor Blue Swirl 1.25mm. I find these picks give a warm tone with very little pick noise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion