The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-20-2021, 01:46 AM

Default Sad news from HK HQ about my Era 2

My H&K Era 2 developed a fault recently, where some kind of overload would make the tweeter/HP amp circuit cut out mid gig, leaving me with just the driver working. This is with no clip light illuminated or anything else obvious.

I sent it back to the dealer who returned it to H&K for repair, but it was unrepairable. The dealer is now unable to import equipment from the EU with an RRP of over £1000, so gave me a refund rather than replacing it.

I’m now faced with the decision about what to replace it with. If this is a recurring issue with the Era models I don’t want to go down the same path, as much as I love the amp, as I did this with the Fishman Loudbox Performer and spent months sending them back and forth for repair due to an op amp design fault, eventually getting through three of them before giving up.

I love my Compact 60/4, it’s a superb amp. However I would like a second amp that is bigger and a little more powerful for outdoor shows etc. I have a PA system but lugging big, heavy speakers about is an issue for me as I have a heart condition and have to take things relatively easy. The convenience of an amp is perfect for me, hence my persistence with the format.

I’m wondering where to go next...sticking with AER, perhaps a Domino would be ideal, or the MM200 amp, although I’m told the latter is now discontinued. Perhaps there are other options out there I’m missing. I’ve tried a lot of stuff.

What would you do?
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Have you seen Udo Amps?
Its essentially a 60-4 with a ported cab and boost to 75 watts.
Same designer as the AER (Udo Roesner) who was described to me as “half engineer, and half human”...

Apparently, AER would not re-tool for his proposed upgrades to the 60-4, so he served out his non-compete period, and now launched Udo Amps.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-21-2021, 11:58 AM

You can also try Acus, Schetler amps or EAE
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-23-2021, 10:15 AM

I have a couple Mesa Rosette 2x8 amps, and I think they're amazing. Might be something for you to look at.

I'm considering selling one to a friend that's had it for a while and loves it, and then I might get a 10" version, mostly because I don't use them that often so I don't really need 2 of the same model.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
I have a couple Mesa Rosette 2x8 amps, and I think they're amazing. Might be something for you to look at.

I'm considering selling one to a friend that's had it for a while and loves it, and then I might get a 10" version, mostly because I don't use them that often so I don't really need 2 of the same model.
I tried a Rosette 1:10 a few years ago, they’re no longer available in the UK sadly but a beautifully built amp.

I just spotted your location-I’m British but my mother’s side of the family are Blackfoot Sioux a couple of generations back so have family history in the area. I wrote a song just last week called ‘Between Vermillion and Mitchell’ on the topic...small world!

Old 06-23-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I tried a Rosette 1:10 a few years ago, they’re no longer available in the UK sadly but a beautifully built amp.

I just spotted your location-I’m British but my mother’s side of the family are Blackfoot Sioux a couple of generations back so have family history in the area. I wrote a song just last week called ‘Between Vermillion and Mitchell’ on the topic...small world!
Wow, definitely a small world! I've been in Vermillion for a little over 20 years, originally from the other side of the state, but other than a summer in Santa Fe when I was in college I've lived in South Dakota for my whole life. I like it here.

There's not much in between here and Mitchell other than open land, but it's a nice drive. I'd love to hear your song sometime, if you're willing to share.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
Wow, definitely a small world! I've been in Vermillion for a little over 20 years, originally from the other side of the state, but other than a summer in Santa Fe when I was in college I've lived in South Dakota for my whole life. I like it here.

There's not much in between here and Mitchell other than open land, but it's a nice drive. I'd love to hear your song sometime, if you're willing to share.
Thankyou! I’m hoping to put it on my next record, I’ll definitely share once it’s been recorded. I’ve not been to SD for a long time, I was last there as a teenager in ‘93 for the motorcycle rally at Sturgis with my brother-in-law. I certainly plan to come back at some point, I love the Black Hills and really would like to explore the state properly, I remember it as a stunning area.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
My H&K Era 2 developed a fault recently, where some kind of overload would make the tweeter/HP amp circuit cut out mid gig, leaving me with just the driver working. This is with no clip light illuminated or anything else obvious.

I sent it back to the dealer who returned it to H&K for repair, but it was unrepairable. The dealer is now unable to import equipment from the EU with an RRP of over £1000, so gave me a refund rather than replacing it.

I’m now faced with the decision about what to replace it with. If this is a recurring issue with the Era models I don’t want to go down the same path, as much as I love the amp, as I did this with the Fishman Loudbox Performer and spent months sending them back and forth for repair due to an op amp design fault, eventually getting through three of them before giving up.

I love my Compact 60/4, it’s a superb amp. However I would like a second amp that is bigger and a little more powerful for outdoor shows etc. I have a PA system but lugging big, heavy speakers about is an issue for me as I have a heart condition and have to take things relatively easy. The convenience of an amp is perfect for me, hence my persistence with the format.

I’m wondering where to go next...sticking with AER, perhaps a Domino would be ideal, or the MM200 amp, although I’m told the latter is now discontinued. Perhaps there are other options out there I’m missing. I’ve tried a lot of stuff.

What would you do?
Have you test driven a Cube Street EX? Dual 8"s with 2" tweeters, 50 watts, pole mount, battery power if you want, effects, multiple channels, etc. The Cube Street EX simply works, and I have no time for amps that have higher specifications but don't deliver the goods.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification