The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-29-2021, 03:55 PM

Default Will I regret a 1 3/4 nut with nylon strings

I am getting more serious about actually pulling the trigger on a crossover guitar. I’m looking a price point of around $2000. A Goodall would be my choice but that ain’t happening. For my purposes I’ve narrowed it down to a Kenny Hill New World Player Fingerstyle and a Furch Crossover.. I don’t have the option of playing either before I buy one.

I am probably leaning towards the Furch but I have concerns about the 1 3/4 inch nut. As background I had an Applegate crossover for several years. It had a 2 in nut and I never got to the point where I could easily transition back and forth between that and the 1 3/4 inch on my steel strings. I always had an issue accurately hitting the B and E strings with my little finger. I don’t have the longest of fingers.

My concern is that with 1 3/4 inch with nylon strings I will have problems cleanly fingering the treble strings. I ‘think’ the 1 7/8 inch nut on the Hill would not offer the same potential problem.

Any thoughts?

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-29-2021, 05:19 PM
Guest 928

Jay;

I've always preferred the 1 7/8" nut width. I purchased a Rainsong parlor nylon strung guitar with the 1 3/4" nut width and found that I adapted and became a bit more precise in my play. But I still prefer the 1 7/8".
Old 05-29-2021, 08:24 PM

My Cordoba Orchestra Fusion is 1-7/8" and I wouldn't want to go any narrower on nylon strings.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
My Cordoba Orchestra Fusion is 1-7/8" and I wouldn't want to go any narrower on nylon strings.
I sold my Fusion because the string spacing was too narrow.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 05-30-2021, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
I am getting more serious about actually pulling the trigger on a crossover guitar. I’m looking a price point of around $2000. A Goodall would be my choice but that ain’t happening. For my purposes I’ve narrowed it down to a Kenny Hill New World Player Fingerstyle and a Furch Crossover.. I don’t have the option of playing either before I buy one.

I am probably leaning towards the Furch but I have concerns about the 1 3/4 inch nut. As background I had an Applegate crossover for several years. It had a 2 in nut and I never got to the point where I could easily transition back and forth between that and the 1 3/4 inch on my steel strings. I always had an issue accurately hitting the B and E strings with my little finger. I don’t have the longest of fingers.

My concern is that with 1 3/4 inch with nylon strings I will have problems cleanly fingering the treble strings. I ‘think’ the 1 7/8 inch nut on the Hill would not offer the same potential problem.

Any thoughts?

Jack

Jack,

Have you thought about going through a local Furch dealer to inquire about a 48 mm nut instead of their standard 45mm?

Old 05-30-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Jack,

Have you thought about going through a local Furch dealer to inquire about a 48 mm nut instead of their standard 45mm?
I’ve thought about it but there are no Furch dealers in Oregon or Washington.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-30-2021, 06:50 AM

Well, shoot.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I have a Cordoba fusion (1 7/8), if it was any narrower I would be concerned about pushing one or other of the E strings off the fretboard at times. In fairness my left index finger is 1/4” shorter than nature intended, so that may not be a universal problem.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:57 PM
Guest 928

I purchased a Kremona Sophia crossover with the 1 7/8" nut width and it is on the money as far as ease of play as well as sound and constriction quality.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:08 PM

My subconscious has learned over time to switch effortlessly all the way from 1&11/16 to 2 inch, rarely with bobble for a minute or two. Probably yours can to.

Thinner treble strings may help also. I have discovered two kinds recently: Thomastik-Infeld offers flat wound treble sets that are very narrow and very bright, almost as much so as steel trebles but with very low tension (distributed by (John Pearse) - and D'Addario 'carbon' treble sets that sound more like nylon ones but less plasticky, also bright and low tension. Both are easy to depress with the pinky and have improved my technique. I'm not going back.

I bet you will have no trouble with the Furch but if you do there are three remedies. - Stevo
Old 06-03-2021, 10:55 AM
Musical minimalist

I'm kind of shocked that any quality builder would produce a nylon string instrument with a 1 3/4 nut width.

I can't play a 1 7/8 crossover cleanly - there would just be NO room for my short stubby fingers!

Several times when I've received a standard 52mm nut classical I've had a new nut cut with wider spacing as the original felt too cramped.

But, that's just me

Old 06-05-2021, 08:33 PM

I would also avoid the 1 3/4" nut. That's fine for steel strings, but I would find that too tight for nylon. My fingers aren't too fat either.

I wish I had something to say about the Player series guitar, but I've never played one. Bought both of my Hill's off reverb, and I'm happy with them.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 06-06-2021, 07:43 PM

Well, I’ve ordered what is a custom built Furch GNC-4DR. It will have a redwood top rather than Cedar or Spruce. I’m pretty excited. Will see if the nut size is a problem for me. I’ll post my experience.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical