The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-21-2021, 11:00 PM

Default Scarlett 2i2 chain

Help a noob out:
Doing on line open mics (zoom) Currently using a Zoom Q2n straight into the 'puter for both guitar and my lame vocals.

The better sounding players are using some kind of gizmo DAT with condensor mics.

So, I'm thinking the following: Guitar via pickup or mic and an SM-58 for vocals into Loudbox artist for a bit of reverb. Then out of the post mix on the back of the Artist to one of the xlr inputs on the Scarlett, then out to the puter. No DAW on the 'puter, just the sound card, so would use the Artist for all tweaking. I understand there the Scarlett comes with some tools for sculpting, so perhaps I can skip the Loudbox and go direct into the Scarlett with either an onboard pickup or hole mounted condensor mic, and a vocal mic.

Am I going down the right path? Trying to use what I've got.
Thanks
Scott
Old 05-22-2021, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Right path? maybe.

Humm I have no idea what a "gizmo DAT" is ??? but I am guessing the better sounding players have more going on, than just a single gizmo . Zoom Meeting usually have a chat feature you might try asking them what gear they are using ?
And make no mistake the room plays a roll as well

That said ::: you said it yourself, they are likely using a condenser mic

As far as the Focusrite. they are pretty decent sound for not a lot of money
But I would wonder if the Shure SM 58 is going to give you any noticeable improvement over the Zoom mics ???

As I understand the AIR feature on the 2i2 is actually just a couple db boost at 12k. so that could possibly give the SM 58 some more top end ????

What is your current mic position with the Zoom ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-22-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

opps double post

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-22-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I've been attending a few opens mics that use Zoom for the audio-video conferencing. A huge part of getting a good sound is configuring the Zoom audio options. Zoom default configuration is for optimizing speech (i.e. meetings), such as automatically controlling volume levels and performing noise and echo suppression. For music, you want to deselect "Automatically adjust microphone volume", deselect or minimize noise suppression features, select option to "Turn On Original Sound" and on main screen have Original Sound selected, "disable echo cancellation".

The idea is to have Zoom do minimal to your sound. However, since you have now disabled auto volume control you will need set your volume carefully; high enough for listeners but not clipping (I use slight compression as well).

You're correct in that you won't use a DAW in the computer for the open mic. Getting an audio interface (i.e. Scarlett 2i2, etc) replaces the functions of the sound card in your computer (and is much better at it). Once you've prevented "Zoom" from messing with your audio then you can start tweeking your sound. I'd suggest not adding reverb until you've first achieved a clear and balanced sound from voice and guitar. So, just plug your vocal mic and your guitar mic/pickup into the 2i2, adjust the gain for each channel for balancing them, and adjust the main volume control for setting mixed output level.

Within the Zoom setup you'll have to select the 2i2 for audio input and output, and for video you could use either your computer's camera (if it has one) or the Zoom Q2N's camera.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 05-22-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
I understand there the Scarlett comes with some tools for sculpting, so perhaps I can skip the Loudbox and go direct into the Scarlett with either an onboard pickup or hole mounted condensor mic, and a vocal mic.
The only thing the Scarlett has built-in is the "air" mode when plugging in a mic; it just provides some subtle EQ to the incoming signal. You won't get reverb or any other processing unless you add other software on the computer before going into Zoom. So unless you want to open up another can of worms, using your Loudbox as you described and going from the Loudbox XLR to the Scarlett is probably easiest.

You may still want to have Zoom use your existing sound card for output, so you can hear everyone with your existing computer speakers. Otherwise, you'd need powered speakers plugged in to the Scarlett. Just make sure you double check which speakers you are using in Zoom if you have issues--Zoom may try to use the Scarlett speaker outputs automatically if you choose it as the mic input.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:44 PM

Yes, I've got the Zoom sound set up as you describe. This open mic has been going on for a year now; I've been out for a while, the "the herd" has migrated from whatever mic was on your ipad/imac/pc/tablet to a wide range of set ups. The general consensus is that some help via a Scarlett like device is a plus at a reasonable money and brain space cost.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:47 PM

I've been turning off my non powered computer speakers, and just using my headphones plugged into the Q2n for sound when performing so as to avoid feedback. Why would I need external powered speakers if I a)use the Scarlett for Zoom and b) plug headsets into the Scarlett?
Old 05-22-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I've been turning off my non powered computer speakers, and just using my headphones plugged into the Q2n for sound when performing so as to avoid feedback. Why would I need external powered speakers if I a)use the Scarlett for Zoom and b) plug headsets into the Scarlett?
No speakers needed if you want to use headphones, then. Zoom and other videoconference apps are pretty good about managing so there's no feedback--I've never had an issue, but I've also not done open-mic type things. Set the output to the Scarlett, plug in your headphones and it should work fine.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
When you are talking/singing/playing Zoom will mute the audio being sent to you from the computer;if you are using headphones while playing you may not hear anything (except what muffled sound makes it through the headphones). I have my interface setup so I can hear both myself (using zero latency monitoring feature in the interface, not using a DAW) as well as what's coming from the rest of Zoom group from my computer. If you think you'd benefit from monitoring yourself while singing/playing you may want to get the Scarlett 2i4 instead of the 2i2.

For open mics using Zoom I have been using IEMs (in ear monitors). I tend to place it in only one ear allowing the other ear to hear myself 'naturally'.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-24-2021, 07:27 AM

I went through many iterations with Zoom open mics.
First - single condensor mic (positioned to pick up both guitar and vocal) into audio interface.
Second - SM58 for vocal, guitar plugged into AI. Sound was way too 'dry' for me, and of course plugging in an acoustic is never as good as a miked one.
Third - SM58 and guitar plugged into TC Helicon Play Acoustic. Used the reverb, the acoustic settings (it did improved the plugged-in sound), occasionally the harmonizer. Too much work for an open mic, and it was too easy to accidentally hit the wrong setting on the PA buttons, while sitting and also manually scrolling lyrics on a tablet with a blue tooth pedal.
Fourth - current version (and with live things happening now around here, doing very few zoom open mics) - 2 condensor mics (to increase the volume) about a foot away form the guitar and my mouth.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD