The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

AGF users lkingston, hotroad and varmonter are (or at least were) a few users of these amps. Here's a couple of direct links to some of their experiences with different models:

Elite Acoustics Engineering D6-8

NAD ..Elite Acoustics D-68 ..wow!!

Elite Acoustics Shout Out

Here's one from prolific AGF review AEROUSA:

Elite Acoustics D6-58 Review
Old 11-18-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have no personal experience with EAE amplifiers other than the mixer part. But there are several regular posters here that have gone the EAE amp route and all reports are that the EAE amps have outstanding vocals. I'm not surprised though for while the Bose S1 does have excellent vocals I'm able to get even better sound out of the S1 by tweaking through the EAE X6 mixer. I'm quite sure that if they see this post they'll chime in with their thoughts.
You really got me thinking, LOL. i'm seriously considering just going your route and getting the bose S1 with the EAE X6 mixer. It has some nice effects! What I am really drawn to with the bose S1 is its small compact size and portability.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
AGF users lkingston, hotroad and varmonter are (or at least were) a few users of these amps. Here's a couple of direct links to some of their experiences with different models:

Elite Acoustics Engineering D6-8

NAD ..Elite Acoustics D-68 ..wow!!

Elite Acoustics Shout Out

Here's one from prolific AGF review AEROUSA:

Elite Acoustics D6-58 Review
Methos, would this work with the Bose S1 Pro? i would assume it would

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...onematch-mixer
Old 11-18-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
An amplifier takes a signal and amplifies it. It can only amplify it so much. But if that signal is amplified before it goes into amplifier (pre-amp) then it is in effect amplifying an already greater signal and therefore it will make it very much louder.

I was initially disappointed with how loud the S1 got with just my passive guitar straight into it. It was useable but only just. Then I pre-amped the signal and was quite literally shocked at just how much louder - and how much clearer - the output became.

When pre-amped I never run the S1 past the 50% detent and then I use the preamp gain to dial in how loud I want the music to play.

I couldn't run the S1 past the 50% detent without it overloading and farting out.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:50 AM

I am using two of the Bose S-1 speakers. I am putting everything through Yamaha MG12xu mixer. In the interest of shrinking the footprint I have been thinking about the EAE x6 mixer. I am looking at using the TC Harmony pedal and the LR Baggs Venue. I think 6 channels are all that I need anyway.
Any thoughts?
Let me add that the Bose speakers are fine for me, are plenty loud, no battery issues and I like the sound.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
You really got me thinking, LOL. i'm seriously considering just going your route and getting the bose S1 with the EAE X6 mixer. It has some nice effects! What I am really drawn to with the bose S1 is its small compact size and portability.
I don't understand:

Bose S1 (with battery) + EAE stompmix 6= 15.5 + 6=21.6 lbs

EAE D6-8 = 18 lbs.

Why one would choose the 1st over the 2nd?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I am using two of the Bose S-1 speakers. I am putting everything through Yamaha MG12xu mixer. In the interest of shrinking the footprint I have been thinking about the EAE x6 mixer. I am looking at using the TC Harmony pedal and the LR Baggs Venue. I think 6 channels are all that I need anyway.
Any thoughts?
Let me add that the Bose speakers are fine for me, are plenty loud, no battery issues and I like the sound.
I think the Baggs Venue is redundant in this setup. All it gives you that the X6 doesn't is a tuner. Also, keep in mind that although the X6 touts 6 channels there's only 4 with XLR and 1/4" and then channel 5/6 is a combo channel with only 1/4" inputs. So if you really need 6 full XLR inputs (which admittedly would be a LOT) then that's a consideration.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I couldn't run the S1 past the 50% detent without it overloading and farting out.
When I run direct into the S1 with a passive guitar and mic I can run it up to about 3/4 before I start to get the 'farting out' which is an apt description. Pre-amped at 1/2 and controlling output volume at the pre-amp/mixer you can get it a lot louder without the farting. But you're only going to get it so loud with a 6" speaker anyway.

Last edited by Methos1979; 11-18-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It really is an excellent setup if you like the modularity. Bose offers an excellent backpack case for the S1 which has a nice big storage area that the X6 will fit into albeit barely. We usually carry it in a little soft-sided cooler so we can fit more cables and mics into the backpack. What I love about the S1/X6 combo is I can just take my guitar, one mic, two cords and the S1 for the ultimate in small needs and play a decent show.

Quote:

I don't think it will only because it requires a special output from the amp which powers and connects it, I believe. The S1 does not have this feature. I don't know if the T1 can be powered from standalone AC.

Last edited by Methos1979; 11-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I don't understand:

Bose S1 (with battery) + EAE stompmix 6= 15.5 + 6=21.6 lbs

EAE D6-8 = 18 lbs.

Why one would choose the 1st over the 2nd?
You're not necessarily wrong. But some do like having a more modular approach with the ability to go super-simple and as small and lightweight as possible. Modularity is also beneficial from a tactical standpoint. What if your mixer breaks and needs repair? You still have the amp. Or vice versa.

This was one reason I went with 2 Bose S1's. I can use them together in any number of setups or have one in the trunk as a backup should there be a catastrophic failure. Just like I always keep a backup guitar in the car.

It comes down to personal preference what works best for you. I will say that if you're looking for a one-and-done, all-in-one system that EAE D6-8 or D6-58 can't be beat.

Last edited by Methos1979; 11-18-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
When I run direction into the S1 with a passive guitar and mic I can run it up to about 3/4 before I start to get the 'farting out' which is an apt description. Pre-amped at 1/2 and controlling output volume at the pre-amp/mixer you can get it a lot louder without the farting. But you're only going to get it so loud with a 6" speaker anyway.
Means your preamp cuts the lows.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-18-2020, 12:28 PM

would 2 of the bose S1 pros and a nice mixer such as the tone match 8 channel from bose be sufficient for a 3 piece blues/rock band with amps? That would be ideal to get a whole system that is that compact and use for acoustic and full band shows both. Any idea if that would hang with a drummer, bassist and guitarist with average to a little above average volume for bar/club shows ?
Old 11-18-2020, 04:21 PM

I have used my Bose S-1 pair for acoustic/electric, and electric guitar, drums and vocals with no issues at all.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
would 2 of the bose S1 pros and a nice mixer such as the tone match 8 channel from bose be sufficient for a 3 piece blues/rock band with amps? That would be ideal to get a whole system that is that compact and use for acoustic and full band shows both. Any idea if that would hang with a drummer, bassist and guitarist with average to a little above average volume for bar/club shows ?
I would say no, that would be beyond the intended scope of what the Bose S1 Pro speakers were designed to be used for. When I hear full rock band with bass and drums I automatically think of something like a pair of QSC speakers and mixer.

That said, I have no direct experience trying to make a dual Bose S1 Pro pair hang with big dogs. JJ below seems to have done just that though, so who knows for sure.

I guess it would depend on the type of music you play and just how loud you need to be. But I would think that at the very least you'd be hitting up against the upper reaches of the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I have used my Bose S-1 pair for acoustic/electric, and electric guitar, drums and vocals with no issues at all.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:46 PM

Default Using S1 Pro with T4S mixer

Quote:

It would work but the S1 Pro won't power it.

Bose makes an AC mains power supply for the T1, T4S & T8S. It's ~$50.
You would need one to run with an S1 Pro, but then you're not all battery
powered.

_Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification