The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2023, 12:12 PM

Default Anyone (with nylon-string experience) in/near Madrid?

Do we have any members in or near (the northern part of) Madrid, Spain?

I've been talking with someone there who's selling his (late) father's custom-built acoustic-electric nylon-string guitar there. The instrument of a rather unique design isn't listed on any of the usual marketplace sites, which is fine with me in itself (less competition and the seller agreed to use PayPal with buyer protection), but evidently I'd feel more reassured if I had independent feedback about the instrument from someone who plays nylon strings (and is a regular member here).

My main questions beyond whether this is all legit would be
- how do the unplugged tonal and dynamic range compare to that of an average classical/flamenco/crossover (aka nylon-string) guitar
- how is the playability - the original RMC Gold pickup system with indifidual micro-saddles thas been replaced at least partly with a single, micro-compensated and rather non-standard black saddle. Seems to have been done a bit klumsily, with not exactly constant spacing between the strings. The outer strings also seem to be very close to the edge.

I'm keeping this a bit vague intentionally so as not to break any rules here but also not to attract more attention to this sale (the model enjoys a certain popularity).

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2023, 05:01 PM

I'd say go ahead and buy it. I've heard great things about them.
Old 02-19-2023, 05:43 PM

Oh yeah, I know and the few acoustic recordings I've heard of them also sound close enough to what I'm looking for. It also has that look.
(You don't happen to know the actual guitar btw?!)

But what I don't know is if I'll be getting enough of that nice sound or if that really means you need to plug it in. The only quantitative measure I have is "about 65dB for this, and about 70dB for a steel-string". Even if that same steel-string would give the 89'ish dB I usually get from one, the nylon-stringer would still be almost half as loud, while the ones I have easily go over 92dB.

I just can't justify gambling a few k€ on a guitar even if I know I *should* be able to ... you know (don't want to attract moderation again).

On top of that there's the fact that the seller doesn't play and thus probably has little idea about how to package it for shipping.
Old 02-19-2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
the nylon-stringer would still be almost half as loud,
You gave us no information on even the type of acoustic/electric guitar it is so let me just say if say it is a Godin style guitar....a thin hollow body, you will not get half as loud on it's own without amplification.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:55 AM

Are you thinking Multiac or 5th Avenue? It's a Dome, so it does look like the latter (in natural) but it's a true acoustic, full solid-woods guitar with very thin plates. It's thin but there is no clear relationship between a guitar's depth and its sound volume nor even that much with it's deepness of tone. Or so I've been told by a number of luthiers and experienced players.

What I'm really hoping for is to find someone who could go have a look and try the instrument.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:14 PM

deleted comment

Last edited by hifivic; 02-20-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
but there is no clear relationship between a guitar's depth and its sound volume nor even that much with it's deepness of tone.

Of course body depth affects both tone and volume!!! Does a dreadnaught not have more volume, bass and in general sound much fuller than a parlor guitar? If "several luthiers" have told you that they need a new career path!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion