The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2017, 04:49 PM

Ok... So I took it to the tech today (Third Coast Guitar Repair- in Chicago if you want to know). We plugged it into two amps, an Acoustasonic and a Deluxe Reverb... and no hum except for some extra gain when the volume was cranked.

It's funny because I plugged it in to my system again this morning and the hum had greatly abated. You heard the recording, so I'm not making this all up. I wonder what could have caused the noise? Loose ground wire somewhere?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 AM

My vote would be a minor plating imperfection on the guitar's output jack. The next time it hums try pulling the cable out and reinserting it a few times.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Ok... So I took it to the tech today (Third Coast Guitar Repair- in Chicago if you want to know). We plugged it into two amps, an Acoustasonic and a Deluxe Reverb... and no hum except for some extra gain when the volume was cranked.

It's funny because I plugged it in to my system again this morning and the hum had greatly abated. You heard the recording, so I'm not making this all up. I wonder what could have caused the noise? Loose ground wire somewhere?
The solution could be as simple as: Return the guitar and get a replacement!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I had two 914s from March this year (latest version of ES2) and they both had ground loop hum. This issue combined with the fact the newest ES2 is SO sensitive made me return them.

It's a shame because if it wasn't for this I'd say the ES2 is one of the best systems on the market.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I had two 914s from March this year (latest version of ES2) and they both had ground loop hum. This issue combined with the fact the newest ES2 is SO sensitive made me return them.

It's a shame because if it wasn't for this I'd say the ES2 is one of the best systems on the market.
When you refer to the "newest" ES2 is so sensitive, do you mean to imply that the previous version of the ES2 was less sensitive?

On a side note, I totally agree with my experience of the latest ES2, it picks up EVERY noise on the guitar. I don't have experience with the pre September 2016 version.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM

Default Update- Check this out- I used a DURACELL battery!

I'm not sure how I stumbled on this YouTube link, but perhaps this solves the mystery of hum/no-hum. If you watch the video it explains how this guy was experiencing hum that was caused by battery misalignment. It could very well be that the Duracell I had in the holder misaligned for the recording, then after removing and replacing to see if it had a full charge, it realigned itself and made most of the hum go away. The only thing that kept me from feeling like an idiot before was that I got a recording of the hum which is undeniable.

Check this out....
Link in case you can't watch the vid through the forum app
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40j3OpS76nM

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 AM

There are numerous reasons for hum with any electronic system. You should always try the instrument with a different cable, through a different amp or mixer etc. or different location. New battery as well. My band played a couple of weeks ago and my tube amp had a big hum. I unplugged my guitar and the amp was humming on its own. I was about to swap out the tubes and noticed I had my iPhone charging and I had placed it under the amp head on top of my speaker cab. I moved the phone and the hum was gone. Stuff happens. You should trouble shoot yourself before going through the bother of trying to return/fix.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure how I stumbled on this YouTube link, but perhaps this solves the mystery of hum/no-hum. If you watch the video it explains how this guy was experiencing hum that was caused by battery misalignment. It could very well be that the Duracell I had in the holder misaligned for the recording, then after removing and replacing to see if it had a full charge, it realigned itself and made most of the hum go away. The only thing that kept me from feeling like an idiot before was that I got a recording of the hum which is undeniable.

Check this out....
Link in case you can't watch the vid through the forum app
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40j3OpS76nM

Interesting vid. Were you using a Duracell battery, or was it just a case of a compatibly sized battery being misaligned somehow?

BTW, thanks for following up. Some folks don't bother once the problem is solved.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Any update on this thread from OP?

Also it could be a blown fuse. There is an easily replaceable fuse in the battery compartment and you can buy them through the Taylor website.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:38 PM

The hum going away after reseating the battery may just have been a coincidence. I have an Epiphone Masterbilt DR500 and like the original ES system, it has both magnetic and bridge sensing components to the sound. I was getting occasional hum. When it would come, I couldn't get rid of it. When it was gone it was solidly gone. I eventually traced it down to the fact that the Nanomag pickup on the Epiphone was really sensitive to humming from any nearby transformers. What it was was my cell phone charger. When I (or anyone else) was plugging in a cell phone charger into the same AC breakout box, or even one nearby, I would get hum. Otherwise I was ok. Boss effects chargers also seem to do it. I had any number of theories before I figured it out. Now, I know what to do. Your situation might be different. I am suspicious though because batteries are DC. They shouldn't hum no matter what you do, good connection or not.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 PM

One scenario I can think of with the cell phone is that you had it plugged in nearby and it was charging, and giving you hum over the magnetic component of your ES system. Then when your cell phone was fully charged, it stopped drawing AC current and the hum stopped. Maybe it just dropped down to a trickle and the hum just mostly went away. I don't know, maybe I am off base, but I am skeptical about battery seating causing hum.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:13 PM

I just watched the video instead of just reading the text. Yes, bad battery contact would make it sound distorted like a bad battery. My mistake.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Any update on this thread from OP?

Also it could be a blown fuse. There is an easily replaceable fuse in the battery compartment and you can buy them through the Taylor website.
This just in: I spoke with Taylor, there are no fuses in ES2 pickups. Any hum would most likely be coming from bad shielding on the pickup itself.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
This just in: I spoke with Taylor, there are no fuses in ES2 pickups. Any hum would most likely be coming from bad shielding on the pickup itself.
The Taylor guy said there was one in the battery box on the board. !?!?

Be that as it may... You heard the hum in the recording. I didn't make it up. But like magic, it went away. Did my gig on Friday and no hum. Ok. I'll take no hum. So perplexing. Maybe it was the Duracell battery that came installed with the guitar that I popped out and popped back in?

BTW... Another oddity is that Taylor's battey cartridge (holder) size. I'm going to have to post that one separately.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
The Taylor guy said there was one in the battery box on the board. !?!?

Be that as it may... You heard the hum in the recording. I didn't make it up. But like magic, it went away. Did my gig on Friday and no hum. Ok. I'll take no hum. So perplexing. Maybe it was the Duracell battery that came installed with the guitar that I popped out and popped back in?

BTW... Another oddity is that Taylor's battey cartridge (holder) size. I'm going to have to post that one separately.
He said there is not a fuse on the ES2 but there is one on the ES1. You can buy them from the Taylor website.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification