The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2021, 02:56 AM

Default Any good hand cream, wear gloves when getting hands wet, file and buff regualrly…

Keeping you nails moisturised is key, but you don’t need to use olive oil. Any moisturising cream works every bit as well, is easier to apply regularly and you can leave it on. If you do this last thing at night the cream has plenty of time to do its job.

Wearing gloves when doing washing up, or any other task that involves immersing your hands in water (and detergent) for an extended period, will help protect your nails.

Filing regularly to remove any nicks or roughness will help to prevent the nails catching and tearing, breaking. I used Wolfram glass files for a few years; they’re great but expensive. After breaking 3 in a couple of months I looked for a less expensive alternative. There are a number of glass files made in the Czech Republic which I’ve found to be just as good for a fraction of the price. After filing a quick buff with 3-way block will give a glass like finish on the ends and underside of the nail. This all sounds very time consuming but it takes me 2-3 minutes prior to playing, or at a quiet time of the day.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Biotin has helped keep my nails on my fretting hand from splitting and cracking.
Nails breaking on your fretting hand? That has never happened to me in 50 years. How long do you keep the nails on your right hand?
Old 06-28-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplains_d View Post
Nails breaking on your fretting hand? That has never happened to me in 50 years. How long do you keep the nails on your right hand?
My nails used to split, not break. Also, I use flat picks and finger picks, so my right hand nail length isn't an issue.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-29-2021, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Great thread !

I've been using a tiny bit of castor oil on my toenails and fingernails every morning after my shower. Castor oil is much more viscous than olive oil, so a little goes a long way. It has a sterilizing effect; nails and cuticles stay clean and healthy.

My nails are plenty strong, just like the OP's. The castor oil makes them even tougher.

EZYPIKINS described my right-hand technique to a T.

My nails are also easier to file smoothly since I started the castor oil treatment. I've been using a Wolfram Slides glass file for several years now. Expensive but worth it. Mine broke early on, but I've kept the 2/3 length stub intact ever since.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 06-29-2021, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

Funny, as I've grown older, m,y nails have thickened.

I file them, briefly about every two days, and keep them as short as possible but enough to pluck the strings.

Ensure there is plenty of protein and calcium in your diet - fresh fish - fresh green veg and carrots, unprocessed LOW FAT dairy.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 06-29-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:19 AM

Acrylic! Or should I say "gel".
Been using this for 7 years.
My nails have always been weak and acrylic (first 3 years) and gel (last 4 years) saved my musical journey.
Always applied by a professional.
My nails never suffered any side effects nor I ever needed to stay off the stuff to make the nails "breath", which I think is a false myth.
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 06-29-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Moose View Post
Acrylic! Or should I say "gel".
Been using this for 7 years.
My nails have always been weak and acrylic (first 3 years) and gel (last 4 years) saved my musical journey.
Always applied by a professional.
My nails never suffered any side effects nor I ever needed to stay off the stuff to make the nails "breath", which I think is a false myth.
It wasn't a false myth for me I can assure you, but I suppose we are all different. The problem I found was that over time the sanding of my real nails by the professional weakened them considerably, so that when the acrylics eventually came off, my real nails were much weaker than they had been when I started out.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
It wasn't a false myth for me I can assure you, but I suppose we are all different. The problem I found was that over time the sanding of my real nails by the professional weakened them considerably, so that when the acrylics eventually came off, my real nails were much weaker than they had been when I started out.
Of course, if nails are sanded down too much, when the gel comes off you'll end up with a nail as thin as paper. That is why you should never take acrylic or gel off but, rather, let the nail grow out of it naturally.
Letting the nail "breath" is another thing and, in my opinion, pretty pointless since the outer part of the nail is dead... it doesn't breath at all.
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 06-29-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
My experience as well which is why I stoppfed using acrylics as applied at a manicure place. Now I eat healthy, take biotin, and put some Sally Hansen strengthening gel on. I'm able to play 12-string without my nails wearing down or breaking.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:21 PM

I've been playing with nails only for over fifty years. The only thing that I've ever found that works long-term for me is to eat some yogurt every day that has gelatin in it. Everyone is different, but since I started eating gelatin every day I don't think I've broken a nail even once. I don't keep the three picking fingers super-long and try to keep them smoothly filed and rounded.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:51 PM

mind are brittle and crack so I started doing biotin drops and this brand seems to make them stronger and hair grow fast IMHO. But gonna try olive or maybe some jojoba oil I have for skin care. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-29-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmars View Post
mind are brittle and crack so I started doing biotin drops and this brand seems to make them stronger and hair grow fast IMHO. But gonna try olive or maybe some jojoba oil I have for skin care. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the link, I'll give this a try
Old 06-30-2021, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

I think the softness of my nails is due to the meds I've been taking since my heart attack.

Used to have nails so strong I could use them as tools.

A knife for cutting paper and tape. Turning small straight slot screws. Also wire strippers.

Today they are just a useless. So soft they bend like a paper business card.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:02 AM

My nails are very tough but I use this just on the protruding overhang part of the nail. I give a triple coat once a week. Air dry between coats.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:07 PM

Default James Taylor Nails

One of the greatest - and he shares his secrets. What a generous guy.

https://youtu.be/6xY8Bcq3hh4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion