The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 07:09 PM

Red face Fun with short scale lengths

I'm a newbie player, and I recently took the plunge and bought a Martin DJr-10 because I had a sneaking suspicion that the shorter scale would be easier for me to play. Previously I'd played on my hubby's Alvarez with a 25.5" scale (WAY TOO LONG) and my other guitar, which is a Seagull S6 with a 24.8" scale (almost...).

Just got the Martin today and I AM IN LOVE. But...

Although I'm a small person with small hands, I have relatively long arms for my body. (In rock climbing they'd say I have a really high "ape index"--I'm a pint sized gorilla, y'all.)

Which means that the Martin DJr body--even though it's only 7/8 size, so not *that* small--feels tiny to me. Like toy sized.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I'm not gonna be buying another guitar anytime soon, but... I also think that in an ideal world, I would be playing a full sized dreadnought with a 24" (or possibly even smaller) scale. I tend to like wider necks, too, despite my small hands.

Does such a thing exist? I'm asking the hive mind now so that I can keep my eye out for this unicorn guitar and be able to recognize it if it ever crosses my path.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2021, 07:55 PM

Welcome Corona!

There are some dreads out there with short scale. That might be what you are looking for. If not, you can never go wrong with a 000-18. Short scale, easy to play, fabulous tone, etc.

Lots of knowledgeable folks around here that will certainly chime in with suggestions.

Best, scott
Old 06-24-2021, 08:15 PM

Forget Dreds (Duds). 000 is the ideal size. There is a 0000, sometimes called other names but the Jr was a mistake which are easy for newbies. That is what this forum is for. We have the experience to guide you. Sell it, start again.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:23 PM

You could be right, but give your ears some time to adapt. I quite short and stocky. I started w/dreads. Went to GA's and L's, then 000 and OM's. My most recent acquisition? A Martin 000-Jr.

When I first went to smaller guitars, they always sounded small and boxy. Once I got used to smaller guitars, I now prefer small. I suspect you'll end up happy with the Martin.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-24-2021, 08:24 PM

Take a full size dread and tune down a step. Capo two frets down and you basically have a very short scale guitar.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

On the body size, give it some time and see how you feel about it after a few weeks vs hours/days.

To me, you are describing a 000-28 or 000-18 subject to preferece, and you may find a 000 is the sweet spot for you but you may also just fall (more) in love with what you have, which sounds like a great guitar. And yes there are other larger body options too. Just, definitely don't get it into your head now that you need to change guitars right now - give yourself time to enjoy this one and learn what it can teach you.

Congrats on your new guitar. Sounds like you picked a good one.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I think a normal sized dread, tuned down a full step and then capo'd on the 2nd fret to bring you to standard pitch would probably be your best bet.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2021, 07:34 AM

I would go to a store if you can and try out a 000 size.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
You could be right, but give your ears some time to adapt. I quite short and stocky. I started w/dreads. Went to GA's and L's, then 000 and OM's. My most recent acquisition? A Martin 000-Jr.

When I first went to smaller guitars, they always sounded small and boxy. Once I got used to smaller guitars, I now prefer small. I suspect you'll end up happy with the Martin.

I got one of the OOO Jrs. about five months ago or so. Most comfortable to play guitar I own. I am a small guy (5’6”) and had always played larger sized acoustics and longer scale since I began playing in 1957 but since I got the OOO Jr. it has been my most played guitar. Certainly doesn’t feel or sound like a toy.

I think you will get used to it and other guitars will begin to feel too large. The Jrs. have a fairly wide nut and string spacing and certainly don’t feel cramped at all to me. Work really wel with finger picking, which I quite a bit of.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Like others have said, keep the Dread Jr and get used to playing it. I don't think you'll have any problem at all once you get used to the size. If you still feel the need for a dread when it comes time to buy look at a 12 fret dread. moving the body up to the 12th fret moves the bridge deeper into body of the guitar which gives a great sound and also makes the guitar feel much smaller.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-25-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Welcome Corona!

There are some dreads out there with short scale. That might be what you are looking for. If not, you can never go wrong with a 000-18. Short scale, easy to play, fabulous tone, etc.

Lots of knowledgeable folks around here that will certainly chime in with suggestions.

Best, scott
Welcome CORONA? lmao

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-15-2021 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 06-25-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Forget Dreds (Duds). 000 is the ideal size. There is a 0000, sometimes called other names but the Jr was a mistake which are easy for newbies. That is what this forum is for. We have the experience to guide you. Sell it, start again.
I have a D-18 short scale and a custom D-28 short scale. They are two of the best sounding guitars that I own.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearis View Post
WTF, welcome CORONA? lmao
Her name is in her signature.

I could never get signatures to show up using the AGF mobile app, is that how you are reading this thread?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-25-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Her name is in her signature.

I could never get signatures to show up using the AGF mobile app, is that how you are reading this thread?
I'm using my PC. Well, I don't think its her name, I guess its a sarcastic "thanks" to covid, since now people are trapped inside their houses with nothing to do, so they can learn something new LOL
Old 06-25-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearis View Post
I'm using my PC. Well, I don't think its her name, I guess its a sarcastic "thanks" to covid, since now people are trapped inside their houses with nothing to do, so they can learn something new LOL
Oh, yeah I see what you mean.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion