The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-10-2021, 01:31 AM

Default HX STOMP as Dual Source Preamp for EQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Anyone use a helix for acoustic? I've been thinking of ditching my electric guitar pedalboard for one and wondered how it would do for acoustic?

Also, I have a Felix I use for dual source. It's interesting, the LT version only has 1 input, but the Floor version has 2.
I just had a K&K pure mini and LR Baggs Lyric installed in my Martin and have been using my HX Stomp as a dual source acoustic preamp. But there are issues I am still trying to hammer out. Does anyone understand what the issue is with the A and B path panning. There is something wacky going on I can't quite figure out

Last edited by gerryc123; 06-10-2021 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryc123 View Post
I just had a K&K pure mini and LR Baggs Lyric installed in my Martin and have been using my HX Stomp as a dual source acoustic preamp. But there are issues I am still trying to hammer out. Does anyone understand what the issue is with the A and B path panning. There is something wacky going on I can't quite figure out
I wonder if this is a gain or volume issue. Maybe a mono EQ block isn’t unity gain? Maybe you have to raise the volume or gain to make it equal to when it’s bypassed.

I’d try a simple test: 2 presets, one straight, other with mono EQ like you did. This time Adjust the gain or volume until they sound the same. Remember gain and volume are not the same.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 06-10-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
@gerryc123

You should hop over to TheGearPage.net and get in the modeling section and ask this question. A TON of Stomp users over there... someone may know more than we do.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 06-10-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I wonder if this is a gain or volume issue. Maybe a mono EQ block isn’t unity gain? Maybe you have to raise the volume or gain to make it equal to when it’s bypassed.

I’d try a simple test: 2 presets, one straight, other with mono EQ like you did. This time Adjust the gain or volume until they sound the same. Remember gain and volume are not the same.
Thanks, that's exactly what I did. I had two blank presets, each with just a stereo looper to start, so I can A/B back and forth. I then added a split Y to 1 of the presets, panned hard left and right and put a mono EQ (untouched) on each.

The gain did not have to be touched, so I'm good there. Still identical. So I am very pleased about that.

The problem I keep encountering happens to the mix when you put an IR on either path. You can really hear it if you plug your headphones into the Stomp. It's as if the guitar got sucked out of the room, and it's not just the one path that was affected, it's horrible. Someone said I need to put a mono volume block on each path first if I intend on using an IR on either or bath paths, that's when the mix craps out so that, as soon as I put mono volume block on either path. If I put a stereo volume, sonically there is no change but then my panning in the mixer at the end of the chain is all screwed up. If I pan Path A, it doesn't pan, and if I pan all the way to the right. The Pure Mini pickup (Path A) DISAPPEARS. There is no LOGICAL explanation for this, only a Line 6 explanation and I've gone back and forth with them, and believe they are aware of it, they just hope not too many people will notice. I was hoping the new update would fix this but it didn't. But it is BAD. So for Dual source acoustics, you have to make a huge compromise and it's too big of a difference for me.
It's Huge.

Quote:
@gerryc123

You should hop over to TheGearPage.net and get in the modeling section and ask this question. A TON of Stomp users over there... someone may know more than we do.

I will do that for sure Thank you !!!!

Last edited by gerryc123; 06-10-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Yes sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant the panning when an IR is involved. Once you just slap an IR on either path the entire mix sonically changes no question about it even with the IR bypassed. Your whole mix has just gone out the window as if your guitar was sucked off your lap.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Yes sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant the panning when an IR is involved. Once you just slap an IR on either path the entire mix sonically changes no question about it even with the IR bypassed. Your whole mix has just gone out the window as if your guitar was sucked off your lap.
Weird. On mine it keeps the panning. I wonder if there are both stereo and mono IRs?
Old 06-10-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Could it be inverting the phase of one side? Forgive me if this was already considered. I didn't read every reply in the thread
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 06-11-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Weird. On mine it keeps the panning. I wonder if there are both stereo and mono IRs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
Could it be inverting the phase of one side? Forgive me if this was already considered. I didn't read every reply in the thread
UGGH! Turns out I needed to backup everything and totally uninstall both HX EDIT and HX NATIVE and perform a global reset on my STOMP since we couldn't locate the exact root of the problems I was having.

I had noticed about a month ago that no matter what I tried, I could no longer drag a preset from either my desktop or from HX EDIT into NATIVE. Unfortunately a lot of time was wasted but I hope this fixed it all for good.
Thank you
G

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification