The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-09-2021, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Default Tuner Replacement for Eastman MDO-305

I bought this octave mandolin to learn a second instrument and have enjoyed the challenge. As someone mentioned in my previous thread about this model, the tuners are not great. I am ready to replace them and hope I can source a good drop in replacement. Does anyone know of a brand that drop in w/o needing to drill screw holes or enlarge the post holes? TIA.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
I bought this octave mandolin to learn a second instrument and have enjoyed the challenge. As someone mentioned in my previous thread about this model, the tuners are not great. I am ready to replace them and hope I can source a good drop in replacement. Does anyone know of a brand that drop in w/o needing to drill screw holes or enlarge the post holes? TIA.
The closest you will find will be the Grover 309 tuners. They will require at least one new hole, and because the plates are a different shape, it's possible that some lacquer marks from the original plates may be visible after installation. They are definitely a worthwhile upgrade. You won't need to enlarge the post holes, and you'll be able to use the original bushings.

Last edited by JMFingerstyle; 06-09-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFingerstyle View Post
The closest you will find will be the Grover 309 tuners. They will require at least one new hole, and because the plates are a different shape, it's possible that some lacquer marks from the original plates may be visible after installation. They are definitely a worthwhile upgrade. You won't need to enlarge the post holes, and you'll be able to use the original bushings.

Thanks. Those are not expensive tuners but I assume they must be better that the "Quality Geared Tuners" that Eastman uses on this entry level instrument.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Thanks. Those are not expensive tuners but I assume they must be better that the "Quality Geared Tuners" that Eastman uses on this entry level instrument.
They are. They're an 18:1 ratio rather than the 14:1 that comes stock.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Just ordered these from Stewmac. Thanks for the input!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments