The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-31-2021, 04:35 PM

Default La Mancha Concierto early 1970s

I'd appreciate any information regarding my ~1972 La Mancha Concierto classical guitar such as approximate value and identification of the tonewoods used - top, back & sides.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Guest 928

I can't help you out other than to comment on the beauty of the instrument and its apparent woods. It looks to me like the face is cedar, the back and sides look like mahogany, and the fret board may be rosewood or maybe ebony.

Those are all guesses. It would be nice if others would make their guesses and maybe we could come to some truth through consensus.

Given the number of instruments made, someone out there must know something about the make and maker.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:36 PM
Guest 928

Jimbo;

I can hardly believe that no one has weighed in on this instrument. Maybe you need to try a different thread (build and repair) or different forum??
Old 06-04-2021, 02:16 PM

A Google search for the maker and model only returned one other example listed for sale on Reverb for around $1000. It didn't sell, from what I could determine.

The top looks to be cedar, the back/sides and bridge appear to be rosewood (though quite light in color). The fingerboard, to my eyes appears to be ebony. I can see how the color of the back and sides could be seen as mahogany, but I don't think a Spanish builder of classical guitars, especially from that era would use mahogany for the back, sides and bridge.

The rest of the listings for LA Mancha instruments leads me to believe that they primarily make student level guitars. This may be an example of their higher end student offerings from that era.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:27 PM

A quick search returns to this ad from reverb. Asking $299.

https://reverb.com/item/40467591-vin...aced-top-spain
Old 06-05-2021, 03:04 PM
Guest 928

Tom B; Good find. It looks like this instrument needs a bit of work, but the return could be very satisfying. And the ad does address the question that begins this thread.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:19 PM

The guitar linked above is an Estudio model. I'd guess a cheaper model than the Concierto that the original post was inquiring about. This is the ad I was referring to in my previous post - La Mancha Concerito 60;s Made in Spain https://reverb.com/item/4894256-la-m...-made-in-spain
Old 06-05-2021, 04:23 PM

Thanks to all for your input! Assuming it is a cedar top classical with Rosewood back and sides - I should have taken better care of it as a young man!

My parents who are no longer with us bought this for me circa Christmas 1972 - I wanted a steel string but I've come to appreciate this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical