The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-04-2021, 12:57 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JqA...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V7l...ew?usp=sharing

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:58 PM

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

I would recommend that anyone who can, go to a shop that has either Northfield or Collings. Most also have Eastman. I started on an Eastman MD 505, a very worthy instrument I'd have been really happy with had I not been able to play Collings MTs. Once I did, the difference haunted me. The G thing is a lack of richness. Age might very well temper this. I've never gotten to play a well broken in Eastman.

I happened to be visiting Phoenix when the Mandolin Store was there and stopped in one afternoon. I played my way up the Kentucky and Eastman lines and heard very little difference as I played up the line. Sure they were fancier to the eye.

Then I got to the 900 series Kentuckys. The 900 to 1500 master series are worth taking a look at. Noticeable tonal improvement. Then they put a Northfield F5 S in my hands. It was another $1K more than the Kentucky master series I'd just played. Not nearly the jump, but I came away thinking I'd pay the grand.

Then they put a Gibson F 9 in my hands and I cried. At the time the Northfield was $3K and the F9 $4500. No contest, but dang, $1500! Ad we were just getting to the good stuff. I cried uncle and quit right there. Thing is, the F9 is a plain mandolin.

So here is my advise: unless you have money to spend, or don't know how serious you will get, buy an Eastman, and the 300 is pretty darned good. Then, try not to get hooked on the F style. I'm hopeless. A very high end A style Collings is around $3800. A mid level F is $7500.

A Northfield Big Mon is a fine, nicely appointed mandolin at $4700. But that won't get you the flame you might crave. The Collings MF at $5200 will give you the flame but and otherwise plain mandolin. You can have it all for $8K.

Such is the reality of the mandolin. Such is why I built one. It came out great, but I still want a big boy luthier built or Gibson Goldrush for a mere $8000+. Weather I allow myself or not remains to be seen. Still, a used one could be had for $6500, still double what I paid for any guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments