The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-26-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
I wanted to like this, but with Boss/Roland being the same company for $100 more you can get a quality acoustic modeled amp from Roland with the AC-33. It weighs ~1 pound more but is 15 x 15 watts on A/C and 10 x 10 watts on batteries. I already wish the Roland had more SPL (I couldn’t even use it as a stage monitor at an indoor gig full of talkers) so I definitely wouldn’t go with the Cube Street 2. I agree with another poster they should redo the Street EX line but not half-*** it like this new Cube Street 2.
Apples to oranges comparison. Both the Cube and Cube EX have acoustic and electric guitar settings. While it doesn't sound like a tube amp, it gets pretty close. Doesn't matter if you only play acoustic, but if you play both acoustic and electric, these Cubes do it all and fairly well. It can also be used for two singers, as channel 2 has a mic setting as well. Incredibly versatile.

As far as it not being capable of being used as a monitor - I think you would have to be at nosebleed level to not hear one of these or just have poor hearing.

It's fine to speculate, but to make absolute judgements on pieces of gear you've never used and based solely on specs isn't helpful to others that want the real scoop on these pieces of gear. They are far more capable than they seem on paper and there's a reason that they are dominant in the busking world.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-26-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
As far as it not being capable of being used as a monitor - I think you would have to be at nosebleed level to not hear one of these or just have poor hearing.
Whatever dude, talk about speculating... your post just lost any credibility when you said I must be deaf of hearing when I provided an actual example where 10-20 watts isn’t enough from a real gig. Clearly you’ve never played a gig in a small distillery with a rowdy & loud packed house. This is why professionals have used actual wedge monitors forever on stage and not Cube Streets
Old 07-26-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Whatever dude, talk about speculating... your post just lost any credibility when you said I must be deaf of hearing when I provided an actual example where 10-20 watts isn’t enough from a real gig. Clearly you’ve never played a gig in a small distillery with a rowdy & loud packed house. This is why professionals have used actual wedge monitors forever on stage and not Cube Streets
I didn't say you were hard of hearing, although your response suggests a degree of illiteracy or a lack of reading comprehension. I know you must know a lot about me from your long presence here and all 50 of your posts. We all are awed by your extensive knowledge base and all those you have helped through the years.

I have played over 200 gigs in retirement homes, breweries, restaurants, parties and festivals. I have used monitors as small as 7-50 watts and it's always been enough. Everything from a pair of JBL 1000 watt speakers to a Roland Street Cube EX. Outdoor festivals are another matter where the venue has multiple wedges on stage.

You are stating facts about gear you have never used, but I have. The speculation is all on your part. You can chose to argue and lash out, or you can learn - that's up to you. Have a good one.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 07-26-2021, 04:01 PM

jpino is definitely right on this. Just listened to roylor's recordings and he's definitely an amateur in music. Don't need to start drama here if your music skills are far from professional.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
jpino is definitely right on this. Just listened to roylor's recordings and he's definitely an amateur in music. Don't need to start drama here if your music skills are far from professional.
Never said I was a pro, now did I? I am a intermediate guitar player with lot's of gigging experience. There are several professional's here and I have chosen to learn from them as well as my own real life experiences. A pro is someone that makes their living doing music full time. Do you have to be a touring professional to state facts gleaned from real life experience?

Used to play Blues harp in a band that played at nosebleed levels. Guitar player w/a 130 watt music ma and a drummer that played like animal from the Muppets. If those are the kind of gigs you play, then yes, you need loud & multiple wedges. This is the Acoustic amplification section isn't it? You need multiple floor wedges for acoustic performing? Pure BS.

Not starting drama either. Jpino chimed in with the adversarial tone, as have you. Those that yell the loudest about being pro's rarely are and most don't even have the balls to play live. You may find my skill amateurish, and perhaps it is - but it was enough to play nearly 100 gigs in 2019 and get paid doing it.

Monitor use is as much about proximity, speaker size and efficiency and dispersion as wattage.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 09-17-2021, 03:28 AM

can anyone know when boss cube street 2 will come out in europe?
Old 09-17-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by identity71 View Post
can anyone know when boss cube street 2 will come out in europe?
Who knows, they got a few in stock in the US but now on pre-order again. Like I speculated these ARE NOT looking good, I’d skip this one:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-black/reviews
Old 09-19-2021, 09:30 AM

I'll chime in here..

Skip the "AA" battery thing.. and it's a known fact that these don't sound the best put up against other Battery amps the cost around the same.
Roland has its own sound..you either love it or hate it...
For battery-powered I would go with EAE, Bose, JBL, Mackie in that order...

Whether someone is a Pro or not...Has nothing to do with how they sound to us...
It's his customers and repeat calls....or how much he is working with word of mouth.
And his/hers Entertaining ability....Keep the customers happy and you keep gigging...
Honestly, this has more to do with it than an unapproachable Pro who can't be bothered.
Have fun and keep the customer's attention and your a hit..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification