The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-07-2018, 12:29 PM

Question Buzzing fret on guitar

So, I am currently in the process of trying to sell a guitar and thinking I will probably go the Ebay route since I am not sure of the precise value. Anyway, my question is should I have the frets leveled before I sell it? Its in mint condition except for having a semi-deadened fret on the 14th fret and a buzzing fret on the high E 6th fret. I did the credit test and discovered that the 15th fret is indeed higher than the surrounding frets. So, should i have the frets leveled professional before selling it, or just discount the price (and obviously explain the defect to potential buyers)? Its a Takamine LTD 2004 if that makes any difference.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
So, I am currently in the process of trying to sell a guitar and thinking I will probably go the Ebay route since I am not sure of the precise value. Anyway, my question is should I have the frets leveled before I sell it? Its in mint condition except for having a semi-deadened fret on the 14th fret and a buzzing fret on the high E 6th fret. I did the credit test and discovered that the 15th fret is indeed higher than the surrounding frets. So, should i have the frets leveled professional before selling it, or just discount the price (and obviously explain the defect to potential buyers)? Its a Takamine LTD 2004 if that makes any difference.
I wouldn't consider a fret leveling. Could well be the 15th fret has just popped up a bit and if so a very easy fix.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-09-2018, 12:31 AM

Imo, you should get it fixed, when people test play a guitar, they either love it or they don’t, if it has a high fret which is causing buzzing, I doubt you will get anyone interested in purchasing after it being test played.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
guitar repair, takamine