The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-01-2021, 04:25 PM

Default Member Locations

Is there a way to sort AGF members by location? It might be a way to try and connect with people who share the same passion and perhaps some day soon get together and play.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:42 PM

I'm not sure, but I'd like to know this too... Good idea.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
Is there a way to sort AGF members by location?
Not to my knowledge.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

That kind of function could get into some very real privacy concerns.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
That kind of function could get into some very real privacy concerns.
Some people list their locations in their signatures...
Old 03-01-2021, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
Some people list their locations in their signatures...
Yes, and in other places as well. Totally opt-in and non searchable. Very different than a sort or filter function at the forum level. Note I said "could" depending on the implementation. But I think that's ground the forum would want to steer well clear of.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Yes, and in other places as well. Totally opt-in and non searchable. Very different than a sort or filter function at the forum level. Note I said "could" depending on the implementation. But I think that's ground the forum would want to steer well clear of.
If someone tried to contact me through my published contact info I wouldn't be put off and could simply not respond if I had no interest or was concerned. The information is there if one member wants to email another. It's just not currently sortable apparently. Not sure how I see any risk to the forum.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If someone tried to contact me through my published contact info I wouldn't be put off and could simply not respond if I had no interest or was concerned. The information is there if one member wants to email another.
I believe your email information is not "published" here unless you choose to share it with others in your posts.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:30 PM

Some folks put their location in their header for a post. Send them a PM.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 03-01-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I believe your email information is not "published" here unless you choose to share it with others in your posts.
It not published but there is a "contact member" function available for each member.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If someone tried to contact me through my published contact info I wouldn't be put off and could simply not respond if I had no interest or was concerned. The information is there if one member wants to email another. It's just not currently sortable apparently. Not sure how I see any risk to the forum.
The issue isn't people who actually contact you, it's the people and more importantly the bots who don't. Just know that forums like these are being crawled all the time by bots both useful and nefarious.

Anyway, it's a complex topic and I have zero to do with the forum. I'm just saying as a software designer, I would be VERY careful about implementing any feature which made it easier to find people by location. My concerns are both legal and ethical.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
True. I'd much rather be contacted by email than PM's, but there is no way to display email addresses as part of your profile for logged-in members to see (I have looked repeatedly). You are left with putting your email into your public signature - for every spam-bot in the world to find. I have occasionally put my email in a specific post, but quickly had to go back and edit it out again. The uptick in spam was nearly instantaneous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
Some folks put their location in their header for a post. Send them a PM.
This is how I handle it too. I pay attention to stated location and reach out via PM when noticing someone local. It is up to them to respond, or not.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It not published but there is a "contact member" function available for each member.
If you're referring to the "Contact Info" section of each person's profile, it does not include email addresses. They were removed a few years ago.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

I also play ukulele. There are always ukulele festivals with workshops, vendors, and open mics. They usually have a headliner and a concert. I regularly attend one called GMUG in Minneapolis that is in conjunction with a Bluegrass Festival. The Ukulele World Congress in Indiana is a huge outdoor gathering. There used to be one in Missouri called the Mighty Mo. Lots of spontaneous jamming.

There are a couple of forums just like this one for ukulele players and we run into each other at these festivals all of the time. I've driven six hundred miles to attend them, made friends from all over the US. We plan for months to camp together or get a block of rooms in the hotel together. I haven't seen anything like that with guitars, except the Bluegrass Festival held at the same time and the same place as the GMUG. If there were any I would sure attend them.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic