The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-27-2021, 04:58 PM

Default Bowie - Life on Mars (my take)

Sorry to add to the pile of Life on Mars arrangements but here's my take!

I've played around with the second verse to make it a bit different - some feedback would be great!

Old 02-28-2021, 10:37 AM

Very well done! How long have you been playing? Have you had much formal training? It looks (and sounds) to me like your hands are well suited for guitar. Nice arrangement and solid execution!
Old 03-01-2021, 12:13 AM

Love the unexpected classical covers of rock tunes. Well done and such an original arrangement!

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

Dave
Old 03-01-2021, 04:08 AM

As someone who has also recorded this I was happily intrigued. I did mine a long time ago and would probably record it again, with better audio.

Yours was very good. The parts in between lyrics are implied by the chord voicing and not explicitly stated. Was this deliberate? Interesting.
I really like the ideas you've introduced in the second verse. You've actually introduced variations, which is excellent. You've made it your own in this respect. But the second part doesn't flow as well as the first. Have you scored it, or tabbed it out to make sure that everything fits properly?

5/5 stars my friend to a work in progress.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:28 PM

Yep ..... fantastic!
Old 03-05-2021, 05:20 AM

Hi Norman - thanks a lot. I've been playing on and off since I was 5 (I'm now 36 - eek!). I did my grade 8 classical guitar exam when I was 18 but much of the theory went in one ear and out the other. But I recently had a 6 months worth of lessons with a jazz guitarist who was amazing at explaining jazz chords and basic theory - really engaging and accessible. I sadly moved away so don't have the lessons any more but he had such a big impact on my playing and arrangements. Cheers!
Old 03-05-2021, 05:21 AM

Cheers Dave!
Old 03-05-2021, 05:29 AM

Hi Gtrfinger, thanks! Your message is helping me think through my style! It wasn't deliberate implying the chords (or introducing variations) but thinking about it, perhaps this helps with bringing in rhythm to underpin the melody. Glad you like the second verse as I tried to really play around with that. I agree, though, that it doesn't flow as much as the first. I haven't scored it - I think I'm being just a bit too ambitious and overcomplicating it (I always do that). But cheers - good feedback. Do you have link to your own version?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell