The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-27-2021, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

My grandfather always carried a knife. When I was nine years old, we went into town to "run an errand". We walked into the Coast-to-Coast hardware store and straight up to the knife case. He told the clerk which knife he wanted and we left. When we got back to the truck he handed me the small box and said, "Never trust a man who doesn't carry a pocket knife."

I have always had a pocket knife on me since that day. For the last 20 or so years it's usually been the same Case XX 3-bladed Sowbelly.

My grandpa was born, raised, and died on our family dairy farm in southern Wisconsin. He was the oldest of five kids. He only left the farm to fight in Great War and to make many trips to Chicago and Milwaukee. He and his brothers were moonshiners during Prohibition. (That's how all the boys made enough money to buy their own farms.) My Grandmother used to joke that if Prohibition had ended earlier she wouldn't have had honeymoon at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 02-27-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:56 AM

Default Pocket knife

I carry 2 Kershaw Black Blur Tanto Speedsafe knives in my opposing knive pockets on my tactical pants and a CRKT Minimalist Bowie on my vest while I’m on-duty. I carry an Esee Izula II as my EDC knife, when I’m off-duty. One of the best fixed blade knives ever created, in my opinion.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 02-27-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
I carry a 50+ years old Schrade Old Timer knife that was left to me.
I forgot this one as I keep it in my desk as a letter opener! Good choice.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I have three black Kershaw Blurs and usually carry the non-serrated S30V, keeping the partially serrated Blurs in the truck and in my backpack. Both my sons carry Blurs as well. Great knife for not a lot of money.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I’m a fan of the Leatherman Micra. It’s a very functional piece in a tidy package.

On the other hand, I’m sad to say, I’m unfamiliar with Adnams stout. I looked it up and it’s apparently made in Britain. I’d enjoy trying it. I’m sure I can find some somewhere in the US. I wonder how well it travels. My experience with a particular Irish stout is that the canned variety is nothing like( not nearly as enjoyable) as the product flowing from a tap just down the street from the brewery.
Maybe that’s a topic for a different thread. [emoji846]
Bottles ales travel very well indeed. I've tried a good few during the covid lockdown here in the UK. However ale is best quaffed in company whilst having a good bit craic. Not long until we are allowed out again, can't wait to meet up with my mates in the Victoria, no bottle opener required . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic