The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-30-2021, 11:56 AM

Default Real flamenco: Agustín Carbonell, “el Bola” plays bulería in rondeña tuning

I’ve been listening to this in recent days and thought I’d post it here to see what you all think of it.

The style is called bulería, which has a 12-beat rhythm arranged 3+3+2+2+2 (accents on beats 3, 6, 8, 10 and 12). He plays it in rondeña tuning, which is D-A-D-F#-B-E basses to trebles and is flamenco’s only non-standard tuning (for now, ha-ha). Although the tuning comes from a rhythmless style called rondeña, guitarists have been working it into other styles for decades.

The recording is dedicated to Manuel Moreno Junquera “Moraíto,” an excellent guitarist and all-around nice guy who died about 10 years ago.

Agustín has played professionally for a long time. I used to hear people talk about him but never had the chance to meet him because he was always touring. We met about three years ago and I finally got some exposure to his playing. I’m not here to promote him or anything like that. The story here is that, as I got to know him, it got to a point where I felt it would be okay to send him a short video of an idea I’d come up with in another style. He liked it and was supportive, and after we’d exchanged a few messages, he sent me this video. My playing isn’t anything like this, technically speaking, and I don’t even usually like most modern playing, but this is just so unbelievably good! There’s a chord at 0:47 that grabbed my attention from the first listen, and I worked it out this morning. A purist (like me) might sniff and say that the chord is influenced by jazz, but he came up with it on his own, without thinking about fusion or spelling out harmonies or anything like that. I’m going to have to spend some more time thinking about that chord, but it looks to me like a very rare case of a flamenco artist pushing harmonies in a new (and fruitful) direction.

Well, that’s enough of a build-up. Please have a listen and post your opinions.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:00 AM

So, it's been a week and no one has anything to say about this video?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN