The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-13-2021, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Default How Amazon does it.

I've been reading all the threads on FedEx fails and people's nightmares getting their money back. I was supposed to get a package from Amazon on Saturday but it got delayed. It was supposed to come on Monday, got delayed. It was supposed to get here yesterday, got delayed. Now today I got an email that my package is possibly lost and I'm just one click away from a total refund, two clicks away from a re-order. I mean, admit your mistakes and make it right? That's refreshing.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-13-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I've been reading all the threads on FedEx fails and people's nightmares getting their money back. I was supposed to get a package from Amazon on Saturday but it got delayed. It was supposed to come on Monday, got delayed. It was supposed to get here yesterday, got delayed. Now today I got an email that my package is possibly lost and I'm just one click away from a total refund, two clicks away from a re-order. I mean, admit your mistakes and make it right? That's refreshing.
Amazon can do that because they function as both the seller and the shipper. Shippers can't refund a purchase on their own.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:50 AM

And that’s why, at the end of the day, Amazon and Walmart.com will rule the roost of on line. You’ll be able to shop elsewhere but these guys will continue to be the dominant force in on line retail….
Old 10-13-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Amazon can do that because they function as both the seller and the shipper. Shippers can't refund a purchase on their own.
You are right from that angle. But I'm looking at it from the customer service angle. Wouldn't it be better customer service if the shippers said, "your package is likely lost, what do you want to do," instead of waiting for the customer to get frustrated and then fighting them tooth and nail?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-13-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
You are right from that angle. But I'm looking at it from the customer service angle. Wouldn't it be better customer service if the shippers said, "your package is likely lost, what do you want to do," instead of waiting for the customer to get frustrated and then fighting them tooth and nail?
Better? Perhaps. That's unrealistic though as if the item never appears the shipper would have to eat all the costs unless the seller agreed to those terms (nothing returned yet item gets full refund due to no fault of the vendor). Very unlikely and a really bad business model for sellers (who can simply choose another shipper next time if they lose a shipment).
Old 10-13-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Amazon can do that because they are so big that the cost of a refund/reship doesn't matter to them. In fact, Amazon often sends returns to the landfill because they don't want to pay the cost for actually taking the return and trying to resell it. It's cheaper for them just to trash the return and send you a new one.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Amazon can do that because they are so big that the cost of a refund/reship doesn't matter to them. In fact, Amazon often sends returns to the landfill because they don't want to pay the cost for actually taking the return and trying to resell it. It's cheaper for them just to trash the return and send you a new one.
I understand that is basically the same that Home Depot does with many/most returns.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
...Amazon and Walmart.com will rule the roost of on line. You’ll be able to shop elsewhere but these guys will continue to be the dominant force in on line retail….
Ugh! Banish the thought.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I've heard that too, that it's cheaper in some instances to just destroy the return rather than have to pay for someone to accept the return, restock it, etc.

Amazon's return policy is amazing and I've used it a few times. As long as it's sold or fulfilled by Amazon.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
OK, a slashdot.com (??) article about a Canadian "investigative TV show" isn't likely the best source for news info. Even if it were this is probably about Amazon Canada. Here in the USA they sell used product from returns right on the site. Additionally, people can buy a pallet of returns for super cheap. They don't know what they're getting but it's cheap. All this to say why would Amazon throw away perfectly good merchandise when they have the platform to simply resell it (with the possible exception of 3rd party returns)? I'm doubting most goods are disposed of that way (especially in the USA) and would welcome a reliable source that shows otherwise.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Deleted post.

Last edited by offkey; 10-13-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I know Amazon gets a lot of criticism, but they serve me very well. Last week I took delivery of a $200 Japanese-made micrometer. (I don’t even know where I could buy this unit locally.)The shipping case was empty! With one e-chat they ordered a replacement, shipped it and it arrived the next day. No questions asked, no challenges. I routinely get the best service from Amazon. And BTW, I do support “buy local.”
Old 10-13-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
OK, a slashdot.com (??) article about a Canadian "investigative TV show" isn't likely the best source for news info. Even if it were this is probably about Amazon Canada. Here in the USA they sell used product from returns right on the site. Additionally, people can buy a pallet of returns for super cheap. They don't know what they're getting but it's cheap. All this to say why would Amazon throw away perfectly good merchandise when they have the platform to simply resell it (with the possible exception of 3rd party returns)? I'm doubting most goods are disposed of that way (especially in the USA) and would welcome a reliable source that shows otherwise.
Well, that was just one link. Here are more:
Business Insider
CSB News
CNBC

As usual, the story is more nuanced than the clickbait headline would have you believe. No, not all returns end up in the landfill. But enough does to be an issue--and, to the original point, a company like Amazon can afford to offer no-questions-asked returns in part because they cut the cost of those returns, even to the point of putting stuff in the trash if it's not cost effective to return and resell. Very few smaller vendors have that sort of choice.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Well, that was just one link. Here are more:
Business Insider
CSB News
CNBC

As usual, the story is more nuanced than the clickbait headline would have you believe. No, not all returns end up in the landfill. But enough does to be an issue--and, to the original point, a company like Amazon can afford to offer no-questions-asked returns in part because they cut the cost of those returns, even to the point of putting stuff in the trash if it's not cost effective to return and resell. Very few smaller vendors have that sort of choice.
Actually it's interesting you take that position when, according to at least one of your sources, it's not Amazon doing this directly but rather the sales from (smaller) third party vendors who then tell Amazon to destroy the items rather than having to take them back. So yes, nuanced indeed.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
And with any luck your "lost" item will show up the day after you get your refund! It happened to me. Too bad it wasn't anything exciting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic