The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Police siren sound on acoustic guitar?

Since the death of the Ole Commander, I've been working on ''Hot Rod Lincoln'' for the second time. The first time, I just wasn't ready for it yet.

Right now I have the main lick going steadily at about 75% speed, but I don't have the song all together smoothly yet. The song is in E and the chords are just E, A, E, B7 all the way through. I want to get a police siren sound when the cops pull him over.

I'm trying to get that sound as best as I can. Right now I'm sliding back on the G string with my finger, from the 4th to 2nd fret. It's as close as I can get it, but I think it could be better. It doesn't sound like a siren, but it sounds like I'm trying to sound like one

Does anyone have a better idea how to get a police siren sound in the key of E?

Last edited by lowrider; 10-06-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Since the death of the Ole Commander, I've been working on ''Hot Rod Lincoln'' for the second time. The first time, I just wasn't ready for it yet.

Right now I have the main lick going steadily at about 75% speed, but I don't have the song all together smoothly yet. The song is in E and the chords are just E, A, E, B7 all the way through. I want to get a police siren sound when the cops pull him over.

I'm trying to get that sound as best as I can. Right now I'm sliding back on the D string with my finger, from the 5th to 2nd fret. It's as close as I can get it, but I think it could be better.

For the slow up-down swoop, a bottleneck on the 1st string (covering at least 7 frets up and down, as high as 12 or higher) gets close. The more rapid burbling type noise would be a lot tougher.

Of course if a bottleneck gets in the way of everything else you're playing, that's a problem! Maybe a ring on your finger would do? (It does need to be high on 1st string to be realistic).
Old 10-07-2021, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Using a slide isn't going to work. I worked on the song again yesterday. The main lick is coming along and my ''siren lick; pluck the G on the 4th, slide down to the 2 and back, pluck again, is sounding better as it smooths out.

If anyone else can help with this, I'll give it a try.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:01 PM

I've waited a couple days to see if anyone had anything useful to say before I add my snarky and useless comment. 😉

But I've only heard it played (by the great Bill Kirchen) on electric. Can't imagine that effect working on acoustic. Am I missing something?
Old 10-15-2021, 04:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I'm trying to get that sound as best as I can. Right now I'm sliding back on the G string with my finger, from the 4th to 2nd fret. It's as close as I can get it, but I think it could be better. It doesn't sound like a siren, but it sounds like I'm trying to sound like one

If you get yourself an eBow you'll be able to do it quite easily. You'll also need a slide, of course.

Here's a demo on an acoustic guitar using an eBow:

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 10-15-2021, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Tommy Emmanuel did a Ted Talk. So, he's not just playing songs, but
rather doing a bunch of talking and story telling, and he makes a whole
bunch of different kinds of sounds and noises come out of his guitar
along the way... it might give you some ideas...

-Mike
Old 10-15-2021, 03:31 PM

I asked Bill Kirchen how he did that about 15 or so years ago. This is what he told me...

He flipped the volume/tone control 180 degrees on his telecaster. Then he can work the volume control while picking.

Good luck with that on your acoustic!
Old 10-16-2021, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone. I'm still working on it. I think the most important thing is the lick and nothing else matters much, even the verses. I've dropped two verses out, so I have 4 groups of 3 verses and I do the lick 5 times including twice at the end. For the ''police siren'' I'm just sliding back on the G string from 3 to 2. I doesn't sound like a siren but it will remind the listeners that the original sounded like a siren.

It's all for fun anyway, and as long as I can get in and out of The Lick, it will sound good to me.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Well, as things sometimes go, by the time I got the song going smoothly I was tired of it. I'll put it back on the shelf and try it again sometime in the future.

For now, I'm still doing the lick as part of my warm-up. It's good to get my fingers moving, but it's funny how this happens.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write