The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-29-2021, 10:45 AM

Default Finger picking question

Most of the finger picking videos I watch show people with long fingernails. Is this a requirement to fingerpicking? I really like the sound and it’s quieter and more conducive to living in a condo. Having long fingernails is out of the question so I would rather know this isn’t going to work before I put a ton of time into this style. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Pipe View Post
Most of the finger picking videos I watch show people with long fingernails. Is this a requirement to fingerpicking? I really like the sound and it’s quieter and more conducive to living in a condo. Having long fingernails is out of the question so I would rather know this isn’t going to work before I put a ton of time into this style. Thanks!
Playing on nails is a preference not a requirement. John Miller for one, doesn't use thumb or fingerpicks and uses no nail when he plays.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:52 AM

Long nails are not necessary. I finger pick and do not have long nails or use any finger picks.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:18 AM

Two different sounds to my ears. I think there's almost as much difference between picking with fingers vs. fingernails as between fingers vs a pick. They all sound different (and fat picks versus thin picks differ a lot, as well).

If you want to play what's nowadays often called "fingerstyle" music with tons of long, ringing, chiming overtones flowing together that is much easier to do with either your own nails or acrylic nails.

If you want a more driving, rhythmic (possibly bluesy) style it seems to me most of the best practitioners of that use either no nails or very short nails with a lot of fingertip on the string.

But there are always exceptions, naturally!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 09-29-2021, 11:54 AM

As you've already been informed, nails are not required for fingerstyle. They just add some punch and volume. Many around the AGF use poisonous fake fingernails to get that sound but I found Alaska Piks to be the closest things to nails without growing the nails out or putting on fakes. https://alaskapik.com/
Old 09-29-2021, 12:02 PM

I use no finger nails. I keep a nail clipper close by for whenever I hear a hint of nail.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-29-2021, 12:18 PM

same here
Old 09-29-2021, 12:21 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Nope, no nails here. Never did learn to use those fingerpicks.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:27 PM

Some past threads which one might find helpful.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=429161

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=558244

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=317317
Old 09-29-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I finger pick 95% of my playing time, maybe more. I do not have long fingernails. That would never work for me, as I would just break them with the physical work I do.

I use mostly a thumb pick (Fred Kelly Slick Pick, Xtra Heavy) and short fingernails on three fingers, with about 1/16" (1.5mm) of white showing on my picking nails. I have very hard, durable nails. I no longer use finger picks because my fingers are too arthritic. It hurts too much to wear them.

I also sometimes play with a bare thumb and my short fingernails, especially when playing on an electric guitar or a my archtop jazz guitar.

I can tell when my fingernails are too long because the sound becomes overly bright. Short nails, at least for me, produce a more solid sound with less irritating trebles. If you are curious, please consider checking out my YouTube channel linked below to hear what my playing sounds like.

Tommy Emmanuel has soft nails and so plays with his bare fingers, no nails. After a while he says he builds up calluses on his fingertips. He sometimes uses a thumb pick, sometimes not. I think he gets a good sound from his guitars. So nails are not required.

Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Old 09-29-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

John Hurt, Woody Mann, Stephan Grossman, J-Doug (AGF), Tommy Emmanuel--all are/were bare flesh players.

I've been using a little nail, similar to what Glenn describes above, since my teacher encouraged it a couple of years ago. Just this morning I decided to go back to bare flesh, I wasn't liking the sound I was getting on the treble strings.

If it sounds good it is good
Old 09-29-2021, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

A long time finger picker exclusively, I discovered early on after a painful incident while working on my car that I definitely did not want to live my life with long finger nails.

Consequently I’ve used brass finger picks ever since.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I'm a predominately fingerstyle player.

I keep nails trimmed. Otherwise they can hook a string.

Mainly it will screw with my timing.

In a strum I'll use the back of my nails.

Fingers on the down, and thumb on the up.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:44 PM

You do not absolutely need long nails : Mines are just a bit longer than the finger tip so that the string slip on the tip and snap on the nail end. My nails are not symetrically filed : The thumb side is shorter.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:50 PM

Finger picking question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Pipe View Post
Finger picking question

Lead Pipe,

No picks, all fingerpicking. Nails at minimal length, just to lightly strike a string and move on.

About 1/16" nail on index, middle, and ring, and slightly more on thumb, say 3/32". All are shaped and cut closer near contact points so no nails catch on strings, but slide over them. Right-handed, so RH pinkie is cut to quick, as are all fingernails on left hand.

When/if I do any strumming, it is often three fingers together (no thumb) up or down in close enough sequence to sound almost simultaneously, but not quite.

And when I was learning fingerpicking, I just used my fingers, no nails. That came a short while later.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 09-29-2021 at 05:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write