The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-04-2016, 05:30 AM

Default Mono Vertigo for PRS Hollowbdy II

Hi, this is bit of a long shot to say the least. But nothing ventured so here goes...
I live where it is nigh on impossible to "try before I buy" and therefore have to get everything mail-order making recommendations essential.
I have a PRS Hollowbody that came with a hard case, which to be frank, is poor quality and soooo heavy. I have decided it's time to invest in a quality gig bag and the Mono Vertigo seems to tick all the boxes for me.
The problem is my guitar is 3.8inchs at its deepest and the inside dimensions on the Vertigo is just 3inches.
I have contacted Mono who emailed back very promptly to say that the Hollowbody version of the Vertigo would, as I suspected, swamp my guitar. But the standard electric one, "should" fit. Note "should" not "will".
I then tried asking some larger guitar shops who stock both PRS and Mono to ask, hoping they would just pop one in and tell me for certain. Some said yes others no, but none actually tried.
I then asked on the PRS forum and most replies just said that I was mad to consider using a gig bag.
So there it is, anyone here know for certain if it will fit?
Cheers Steve
Old 09-04-2016, 06:06 AM

I own a Mono Vertigo which I use for my T5z and used to own a PRS Hollowbody I. I think the critical dimensions are body width at the lower bout and height/thickness at the body edge, and there will be no problem there. The padding is thick and relatively stiff, but it will accommodate the extra thickness at the center, IMHO.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-04-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I own a Mono Vertigo which I use for my T5z and used to own a PRS Hollowbody I. I think the critical dimensions are body width at the lower bout and height/thickness at the body edge, and there will be no problem there. The padding is thick and relatively stiff, but it will accommodate the extra thickness at the center, IMHO.
Thanks Jon, if you are putting a T5z in it then hopefully it will be fine.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:17 PM

I put my Gibson Johnny A in my Mono Vertigo bag with no problem and I think it's dimensions are slightly wider in the lower bout. Super bag, no issues and lot's of confidence in it. Actually more confidence in mono bag than the hard shell case that came with my Johnny. If it was ever dropped in the hard case there is just no give whatsoever...
Helix
Old 10-09-2016, 05:19 PM

PRS makes gig bags, which are quite well made. At least they used to, they are very responsive if you contact them. Good luck, I have a HBII, since 1998, and love it.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:56 PM

Can' you return the gig bag if it doesn't fit properly, or even if you just don't like it ?

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 10-10-2016, 04:54 AM

BTW, I like the Mono Vertigo better than any other case or gig bag I've ever owned. In tight quarters (restaurant gig where a 4 top is removed for my duo) you can get the guitar in and out easily. The shock protection is better than a hard case and the crushing protection of a hard case is often overestimated unless you're lugging around something very heavy or bulky or both.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-10-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrobie View Post
I put my Gibson Johnny A in my Mono Vertigo bag with no problem and I think it's dimensions are slightly wider in the lower bout. Super bag, no issues and lot's of confidence in it. Actually more confidence in mono bag than the hard shell case that came with my Johnny. If it was ever dropped in the hard case there is just no give whatsoever...
Good to know thanks for posting
Old 10-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
PRS makes gig bags, which are quite well made. At least they used to, they are very responsive if you contact them. Good luck, I have a HBII, since 1998, and love it.
Thanks but the PRS hard case it came in was frankly poor quality so although I love the guitar , I will not be revisiting them for any type of case, but thanks for the thought.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme789 View Post
Can' you return the gig bag if it doesn't fit properly, or even if you just don't like it ?
I will have to order one to be delivered to a shop a day's drive away and take my guitar to try but it would be a pain to say the least. So that's why I am trying to make sure it will fit. Cheers Steve
Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
BTW, I like the Mono Vertigo better than any other case or gig bag I've ever owned. In tight quarters (restaurant gig where a 4 top is removed for my duo) you can get the guitar in and out easily. The shock protection is better than a hard case and the crushing protection of a hard case is often overestimated unless you're lugging around something very heavy or bulky or both.
Totally agree
Old 10-12-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_mac View Post
Totally agree
I love the Mono Vertigo bags. I use one for a Historic custom shop SG , and another, the bass guitar sized version, for a Gibson Firebird, which are notorious for head-stock breaks! I feel that these cases keep my guitars protected! Another thing, the case doesn't tear up the interior of your car like a hard-shell does!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:32 AM

I cannot speak to the vertigo but my McCarty Hollowbody fits nicely in my M80. I own a few nice electrics (PRS, Larrivée, Gretsch Proline, etc.). Ive carried them all to gigs in my Mono bags. Never had a problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
hollowbody, mono, prs, vertigo