The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-03-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm writing a book on European Royalty, specifically the history or arranged marriages.
That's great! I recall you mentioning that you had a very strong interest in European history. Can't recall if you had a masters or degree in it?
Old 10-03-2021, 02:08 PM

I'm on my second Samsung after hitting the 5 year wall with my first one. No problems with either one.

My wife's first Chromebook was a larger Toshiba and it had problems with the ribbon cable between the main body and the display. I replaced it twice.
She now has the Lenovo that has the fold flat touch screen. It works well and has had no problems in the year since we purchased it.

I love my small Samsung, and find a larger size somewhat unwieldy. Instant boot up and no anti-virus to run makes for a much more enjoyable internet experiance.

How well a Chromebook works for you will depend on a good internet connection. Since almost everything requires cloud use a poor internet connection will seriously degrade a Chromebook's usefulness.

I do have a PC for some serious CAD work and video / audio processing, but it's not connected to the internet. I transfer files from the PC to my Chromebook with a flash drive if I need to upload or download from the internet.

I use Google docs with my Chromebook often and it works well.

You'll find that if you have extensive and large documents to work on that the voice to text option is quite useful. Formulate your thoughts and use the Chromebook built in mic to instantly add your speech to a document.

I also use my Chromebook with a Google Chromecast dongle attached to the TV HDMI input so I can cast Youtube videos, as well as video content from Amazon Prime and other services. (My Android phone also casts effortlessly to the TV.)

I also use my Chromebook to pull up podcasts and then use cheap JBL bluetooth headphones so I can wander all around the house while listening. That also works for Youtube concerts and the like. It's great to listen to an hour live show from James McMurtry, Jorma Kaukonan, John Hiatt, etc. and not be tied down to one spot.

Last edited by Rudy4; 10-03-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Just ordered an HP Chromebook... should be here by Friday, and we'll see what we see.

Personally, I'm looking forward to NOT dealing with Microsoft (bless their hearts!) - I'm not even a big computer guy, but their omnipresence is tiresome, at best...

I'm hoping the Chromebook approach works for me as well as I think it will...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Personally, I'm looking forward to NOT dealing with Microsoft (bless their hearts!)
I do IT and I hate them all... Microsoft, Google, Apple, Adobe... they all suck in their own way. They just have different modes of suckage.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm writing a book on European Royalty, specifically the history or arranged marriages.
Yes, I have a Masters Degree in European History and been doing individual studies since 1977. I'm excited about the book!
Old 10-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I do IT and I hate them all... Microsoft, Google, Apple, Adobe... they all suck in their own way. They just have different modes of suckage.
Amen Brother.

D
Old 10-09-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'm on my second Samsung after hitting the 5 year wall with my first one. No problems with either one.

My wife's first Chromebook was a larger Toshiba and it had problems with the ribbon cable between the main body and the display. I replaced it twice.
She now has the Lenovo that has the fold flat touch screen. It works well and has had no problems in the year since we purchased it.

I love my small Samsung, and find a larger size somewhat unwieldy. Instant boot up and no anti-virus to run makes for a much more enjoyable internet experiance.

How well a Chromebook works for you will depend on a good internet connection. Since almost everything requires cloud use a poor internet connection will seriously degrade a Chromebook's usefulness.

I do have a PC for some serious CAD work and video / audio processing, but it's not connected to the internet. I transfer files from the PC to my Chromebook with a flash drive if I need to upload or download from the internet.

I use Google docs with my Chromebook often and it works well.

You'll find that if you have extensive and large documents to work on that the voice to text option is quite useful. Formulate your thoughts and use the Chromebook built in mic to instantly add your speech to a document.

I also use my Chromebook with a Google Chromecast dongle attached to the TV HDMI input so I can cast Youtube videos, as well as video content from Amazon Prime and other services. (My Android phone also casts effortlessly to the TV.)

I also use my Chromebook to pull up podcasts and then use cheap JBL bluetooth headphones so I can wander all around the house while listening. That also works for Youtube concerts and the like. It's great to listen to an hour live show from James McMurtry, Jorma Kaukonan, John Hiatt, etc. and not be tied down to one spot.
I'm so glad that it will have the ability to voice text. I rely on that quite frequently!
Old 10-09-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Well, I did it... got an HP chromebook w/ a 14" screen. So far, a lot of good things to say about it.

I especially love how fully it integrates with my Android phone, how it remembered (via Chrome) all my tabs and settings, even most PW's!

Only thing taking some getting used to is how small the screen is - my last laptop had a 17" screen, then I got a desk top unit with a 24" screen... so, going to the smaller screen is... interesting, to say the least!

For the minimal amount I use a computer (although I use it a lot), I think the Chromebook is gonna be perfect for me.. and it's quite a bit less expensive than what I've had. This one was ~$200 and will continue getting updates for the next 6 years or so...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Interesting discussion. Excuse my ignorance, but other than price what are the basic differences between a Chromebook and a cheap laptop with a 14" screen. This looks like a device that would fill several needs for me.

Thanks in Advance,
Scott
Old 10-16-2021, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

A Chromebook has very limited onboard memory while the normal computer has more onboard memory that is expanded with SD cards. With the Chromebook you must save your files elsewhere (I use Google Drive, a paid subscription service that is very inexpensive). I like Google Drive because I can access my files from my Chromebook and also from my phone.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Interesting discussion. Excuse my ignorance, but other than price what are the basic differences between a Chromebook and a cheap laptop with a 14" screen.
The difference is ease of use vs. ability to run non-cloud software.

ChromeOS takes very little setup, boots up almost immediately, updates are simple when they happen. On the flip side, you are limited to web-based stuff and Chrome apps, and as noted not a lot of local storage. If you do most of your stuff online (email, browsing, web apps), and particularly if you are already in the Google ecosystem with Docs, Drive etc., a Chromebook may suit you well.

If you need other sorts of apps, e.g a DAW or scoring software, utilize the Microsoft Office, Apple or Adobe ecosystems, or create large files you want to store locally, a Chromebook won't work as well. You can access web-based versions of, say, Microsoft Word or Adobe Photoshop, but they won't be as full-featured as the installed versions. If that describes your usage, a small Windows laptop might be a better choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic