The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-24-2021, 08:44 AM

Default Buying adivce: fingerstyle pickup system

Hi!

New member with a first post.

I play mostly modern fingerstyle originial pieces and I'm trying to decide on a pickup system which would be suitable.

I need a system with three components:
1) A reliable SBT with good sound through a Tonedexter
2) An internal mic to amplify the percussion
3) A magnetic pickup to use with an EBow

I am planning to use two jack outputs one mono and one stereo.

I've came up with two options:
1) JME Ultratonic+K&K mic(or other) => K&K Trinity Preamp
=> Pickup Channel =>Tonedexter => HX Effects input 1
=> Mic Channel => HX Effects Input 2
+
Magnetic => Hx Effects Input 3
or
2) JME Ultratonic => Tonedexter => HX Effects Input 1
+
Fishman Rare Earth Blend => Y cable => HX Effects Input 2
=> Y cable => HX Effects Input 3

I should also mention that I live in Poland so I won't be able to test it or send it back after purchasing.

I already own a K&K Trinity Preamp but I am not satsfied with the quality and the inability to power it through a regular power supply, so I would also need to buy an originial one.

I have also tested Cole Clark gutars and although the pickup is reaaly decent the acoustic sound and the build quality does not stand up to the price. They are also really expensive and hard to get.

Which of these above mentioned options would be better soundwise in your opinion? Or maybe do you have another idea?

I would like to thank you for all the contribution to this great database of acoustic guitar knowledge.

Best wishes
Michal
Old 01-24-2021, 09:39 AM

The new Source Audio EQ2 has become the center of my recording chain. The 80hz low cut and Full parametric EQ are huge but it also has a sophisticated "look ahead" limiter which brings mastering-grade dynamic control. I work in pro audio and this usually reserved for high end processing, like that of the Fabfilter L2 Limiter (a fine plugin - the two acoustic presets alone are worth the purchase).

My K&K equipped Taylor 320 gets played fingerstyle only into the EQ2 which has an input impedance of 1meg . Just phenomenal by itself although I mostly use it in tandem with a mic (Mini K87 from Roswell Audio). I stopped using the Tonedexter due to the aliasing artifacts and overall size/weight of the unit. The EQ2s gain is about as clean as it gets and having a second channel really adds alot of possibilities

That ultratonic would likely sound like an absolute dream through the EQ2. Their addressing of the 100hz would bring even more dynamic control for myself (a ham-handed fingerstylist that likes to bang a bit)

EDIT: I love Poland Lived in Gdansk for a while. I had my old Harmony Conversion worked on in Warsaw by a really cool shop - I believe it was called Guitar Doctors

Last edited by ACOUSTICDEWD; 01-24-2021 at 09:47 AM. Reason: extra
Old 01-31-2021, 02:54 PM

Thanks for you answer ACOUSTICDEWD!

Would you care to elaborate more on the Tonedexter vs EQ2 topic? What kind of aliasing artifacts have you encountered?

On a side note, I am currently planning to move to Gdansk(I live in Krakow) and a known luthier from Gdansk is building me a guitar at the moment - the pickup system will be installed in that guitar.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:55 AM

I know this is a four month old post, but I believe this relates. I have had a Tonedexter for a couple of years now. I purchased the Source Audio EQ2 and have had it for about 3 days now. I am using the EQ2 in the effects loop of the Tonedexter. One guitar has a Dazzo 60 sbt. Another has the JME Ultratonic pickup. Another nylon string Cordoba has an undersaddle pickup. They all sound fantastic using the combination of Tonedexter together with the EQ2. Both pieces of equipment do something different that the other doesn't do. Used together, the result is a very studio like microphone sound, without feedback. And now I have stored presets for each guitar on tap at the touch of a button. It sounds incredible and it is single source.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:52 AM

Thanks for your reply Ken!

I had ordered both Tonedexter and Source Audio EQ2. Despite using them separtately and combined I couldn't get the sound that I wanted, because of "hollowness" of TD( I was using it with K&K Trinity).

I returned the TD, kept the EQ2 and installed a triple source pickup(JME Ultratonic V3+Silver Bullet mic and magnetic to the second output) that is perfect.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:55 PM

That would be a lethal solution for sure. Good job!
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fingerstyle acoustic, jme ultratonic, k&k trinity, pickup, pickup selection