The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 PM

Good job Shawlie, reducing my blah, blah, blah into a succinct, understandable example.

Now if someone can explain to Hank the difference between a straight 4x4 beat and a shuffle (I can feel it, but describing it is beyond me -Come on. Drummers?) I think that would also help him get the "feel."

Frank
Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 AM

I started by learning to play Jimmy Reed style. Playing 12 bar blues patterns with two strings 2-0 2-0 4-0 2-0, etc.

Then, I learned the lyrics to a couple of his songs and listened to how other artists played these songs. I eventually settled on "Baby What You Want Me To Do/Bright Lights Big City" by Jimmie Vaughan which is two Jimmy Reed songs combined into one.

Hankak, I also found that a lot of blues songs would start before or after the first beat. In the case of Baby What You Want Me To Do, the first beat starts on the word "Runnin'" as in - "You Got Me Running, You Got Me Hidin' and so on.

HTH

PS I've been a regular visitor here for the past year. I tried responding to a couple of messages in the past, but didn't have the required priviledges. I really wanted to respond to this article and so I contacted the Administrator yesterday and got priviledges set up today.
_
D
Old 09-16-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawsie View Post

PS I've been a regular visitor here for the past year. I tried responding to a couple of messages in the past, but didn't have the required priviledges. I really wanted to respond to this article and so I contacted the Administrator yesterday and got priviledges set up today.
_
D
Welcome Dawsie.

This is a very fine and VERY well-run forum.

I'll look forward to your posts as I've come back to this guitar mainly for those blues tunes and playing/learning. I'm basically a beginner...

Jeremy.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 AM

Anyone have this intro tabbed in the key of E?
I really like it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJtkev3weag
Thanks
Hank
Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankak View Post
Anyone have this intro tabbed in the key of E?
I really like it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJtkev3weag
Thanks
Hank
Me too Hank...along with this one that I'd just love to see the TAB too..

"Blues Stay away From Me"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIaNLBJ49dk

Rats! A wonderful blues piece.

Jeremy.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:01 AM

A few years ago I made some notes to myself as pointers from stuff that I had read as I was interested in the blues back then but didn't know schidt, but wrote it down because I think it was well said and I knew it would be a good reminder when the time came. I think it has come.
"I don't think the average person can come along and play (blues) because they don't understand the breaks in it...a guy that make'em hisself, he knows where the breaks is." Son House 1902 1988
From Frets Magazine Jan 1989, I can barely read my scribble.
Anyway, I think Son knew blues and what to say about em and hit the nail on the head.
You gots to know where the breaks is!!!
I'm also struggling with the starts!!
Hank

Last edited by Hankak; 09-17-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 09-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Sorry, Hank, didn't see your question in the one post. I tried to put the words you posted along with the strumming. I don't know the song (but enjoyed the YouTube link!), so I really have no idea if it's going to be helpful.

And like Frank rightly points out - this is not going to sound too much like music the way I've written it, without a little swing or syncopation. But it may help you find how to phrase things while playing if you keep the rhythm very basic like this in the beginning. Then it'll become second nature, and you can try all sorts of things maybe.

It's slightly based on the YouTube link (the phrasing that is), but again, I don't know the song too well, so I tried to fit it together how I might play/phrase it (with a strum on every beat, in this case).

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 09-19-2009, 01:28 PM

shawlie
Thanks..
That's about what I ended up doing after several days of trying..
Now you've confirmed it and I think I can move ahead...
Next I have to figure out how to count 48 strums.
Hank
ps did you see my Son House quote?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write