The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
How do you do that? Do you keep the volume really low and only use cardioid or tighter mics?
I pan everything to one speaker and put the mic in front of it, maybe three feet away. I set the volume at a comfortable level for singing with. And -- this matters a lot -- I have a very dead surface behind me. Some mics pick up more bleed than others, but it's never unworkable. I think the bleed helps, actually. Makes it all a bit less sterile.

Couch Standards
Old 08-14-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
Let's say that the general goal of recording is to reproduce a listening experience...
That's it, right there.
Some perfect recordings were done live with no overdubs, but not many.

When I play live, the mistakes are actually a part of people getting to see me place myself on the line so to speak, and see how well I do at moving them musically.

Studio is another thing altogether and what matters most is that the listener gets to enjoy the final product regardless of how it was arrived at.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I pan everything to one speaker and put the mic in front of it, maybe three feet away. I set the volume at a comfortable level for singing with. And -- this matters a lot -- I have a very dead surface behind me. Some mics pick up more bleed than others, but it's never unworkable. I think the bleed helps, actually. Makes it all a bit less sterile.
Does the bleed act as a sort of very slight delay? I'd guess it must but I've never done what you're doing.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-14-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Does the bleed act as a sort of very slight delay? I'd guess it must but I've never done what you're doing.
I guess in the physics sense it's delayed; it arrives back in the DAW later than it left. But I don't perceive it as a slap or flam, it just sounds to me like a slightly untidy addition to what was already there. You just need to try it for yourself to see what it sounds like.

FWIW, I've never had anyone notice it or point it out. And maybe since I used to mix records for a Caribbean producer who had birds nesting in his studio's rafters, I've developed a higher than usual tolerance for audio debris.

Couch Standards
Old 08-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And maybe since I used to mix records for a Caribbean producer who had birds nesting in his studio's rafters, I've developed a higher than usual tolerance for audio debris.
Now that's just ambience.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD