The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 PM

Default Second guessing a new X7

Look folks, I know that there is massive love for Emerald on the AGF. Having never played one I also realize that I can't give a fully knowledgeable review.

However, if I bought an X7 my Martin would probably have to go in order to fund it. Fact is I like my Shorty more than the Martin for it's versatility and how comfortable of a guitar it is, so the Martin would have to go. That would not make me happy because the Martin has far superior tone.

I was waiting for Emerald to release a quality video of the X7 and finally they posted one today. I have to say that, while the guitar is very nice aesthetically, I don't think it sounds as good as the Shorty. I played videos side by side of both only to be reminded of everything I love about the Shorty (and used high quality, sound-canceling heaphones). Please also note that I've had the Shorty for almost 4 years now....far past the honeymoon phase. I think the X7 sounds more "carbony" and too compressed for my taste- and the new version has very comparable specs to the Shorty.

I will say this though, the Emeralds in the classifieds not only seem to sell faster than the RainSongs but at a higher resale value? Am I crazy? Maybe they are better in every way? I'm sure I just started yet another Emerald vs. RainSong thread- because we really need one. (no smiley faces here either because I'm completely serious) .....

[emoji4]

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-09-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 PM

While I cannot specifically comment regarding the current X7 model, my ancient X7 (old model with the soundhole in the center) doesn’t hold a candle to my Shorty SG in terms of tone. However, it’s also much smaller and more travel-friendly, so they don’t really serve the same purpose for me. The Shorty is the ‘always on the stand in the living room” guitar and the X7 is the “accompanies me to the office” guitar.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Both nice guitars. (Shorty and X7) Is one better than the other? Everybody's opinions will likely vary. For the record, I had the Shorty about 4 years, sold it earlier this year. There was nothing wrong with the Shorty, I just preferred the sound, feel, playability, and looks of the X7 more. Notice I said "preferred"... as in: personal opinion.

I am doing some "space rearranging" with guitars, and the Shorty wasn't getting the playing time of the X7 or X20. For my ears, the X7 has a more balanced sound than the Shorty. The Shorty may be a bit louder acoustically, as it should, since it is a bigger guitar.

I was completely happy with the Shorty before getting the X7.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:38 PM

I have had the old X7, a Shorty and a P12 parlor.

Both the Rainsongs were bigger guitars and sounded that way. They also had a different vibe. I think I agree with the Capn about balance. That said, they were also both less comfortable by far. Not just for size... for some reason the edges on the Rainsongs always felt sharper than on my wood guitars, and the finish was slippery on the full gloss.

Perhaps it's blasphemy on this section of the forum, but I don't think any carbon fiber beats a good Martin for tone. They're different animals; they have their own thing going.

The new x7 seems like probably the perfect ergonomics solution for me, with durability and low maintenance to match. It's hard to judge any guitar based on video clips, but I am looking forward to trying one in person.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
I have had the old X7, a Shorty and a P12 parlor.
Apparently Jason must be my evil twin. (maybe I'm his?). I also have an old model X7, Shorty, and P12.

If I'm playing out, I pretty much use the Shorty. The Martin stays home, especially in Summer.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-09-2018, 10:36 PM

Is there a link to the 'quality video' Emerald released of the new x7?
Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Is there a link to the 'quality video' Emerald released of the new x7?

I'm also curious. Could it be this one? - https://youtu.be/QTLLnhnpGKE
Old 08-10-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
I'm also curious. Could it be this one? - https://youtu.be/QTLLnhnpGKE
Yes, that is the video I watched- along side the top 3 videos of the Shorty in youtube search, and used good headphones. I said quality because Emerald is using a quiet room and a decent looking condenser mic. Could any of these videos be of best "quality"? of course not, especially after youtube compression- but that is my opinion and short of having an X7 in my hands....

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-11-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

You have a lot of good comments on the Shorty and X7, so I'll comment on the Martin Jr. I would have a REAL hard time letting Jr. go, I preferred it to my last generation X7 for the warm balanced tone. And for the record, I preferred the X7 over the Shorty I owned about a year ago. I do understand the love for the shorty though.... good luck with your conundrum. We all be different.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 AM
Guest 928

I think the X10 would be a better model to compare with the Shorty. I also find it hard to compare wooden with CF instruments--they are just different.

Projection is an easy enough comparison. But tonal qualities are so subjective and so varied that it comes down to personal taste.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
... for some reason the edges on the Rainsongs always felt sharper than on my wood guitars
The edges of Rainsong fretboards are indeed uncomfortably sharp. And their standard 20" radius does not help in making them feel any more comfortable.

I wonder why Rainsong never bothered to soften those fretboard edges just a little and change their standard radius to a more common 16".
These are only small changes but they can make the difference between a comfortable go-to guitar and one that always comes second (and is eventually sold).
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Second guessing a new X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Yes, that is the video I watched- along side the top 3 videos of the Shorty in youtube search, and used good headphones. I said quality because Emerald is using a quiet room and a decent looking condenser mic. Could any of these videos be of best "quality"? of course not, especially after youtube compression- but that it my opinion and short of having an X7 in my hands....
Well, I sympathize with having to rely on videos to get a sense of the new X7, and wrestling with ordering one. I also sympathise with having to part with a Martin to justify the new purchase. I sold my GPC-15ME to pave the way for my first acoustic CF purchase.

That's because I was recently on the verge of ordering an X7. I was also playing every interesting wood acoustic flat-top and archtop I could find in my local shops. Those wood excursions were quite sobering, because even though we can make many educated guesses about a guitar's sound and playability based on specs, we can still be surprised. And I found enough surprises as I wandered shops - archtops that sounded far more muffled than I expected, and flat-tops that had less projection and tonal consistency than their wood and price tags suggested - that I freaked out at the prospect of gambling a significant (to me) amount of coin on an Emerald I've never tried. It doesn't help that new official X7 videos make the guitar sound brighter than I'd like, at a time of life when I find myself gravitating to warmth and roundness (I used to love the Taylor shimmer).

So, I ended up buying a McPherson Sable that I could actually play at my local dealer before purchasing. I love it and will get around to a NGD-type post one of these days. But part of me still wants an X7 even though my wallet's drained for now.

I think maybe we just need to wait for folks to actually receive their new X7 orders and share their reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
The edges of Rainsong fretboards are indeed uncomfortably sharp. And their standard 20" radius does not help in making them feel any more comfortable.

I wonder why Rainsong never bothered to soften those fretboard edges just a little and change their standard radius to a more common 16".
Well, some folks love flat fretboards, but the 20" Rainsong radius was a dealbreaker for me. Flat fretboards cause my arthritis to act up when I mess around with barre chords, or anything other than single note lines. My Sable has a 14" fretboard radius with nicely bevelled edges; even more curved than an Emerald.

Last edited by muser; 08-10-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post

These are only small changes but they can make the difference between a comfortable go-to guitar and one that always comes second (and is eventually sold).
I love the NS neck, my favorite profile ever and was my sixth purchase. The edges just don't bother me, but I don't do the thumb over thing to catch root notes. I play with a more classical form- might be why it works for me.

Thanks for the comments folks!
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

My Emeralds have always been a heavier guitar than the Rainsongs I've owned and played. As such the Rainsongs have certainly been louder instruments. What I love about the Emeralds is the look (especially the custom woody's), the tone, the ergonomics (can you say playing COMFORT), the bullet-proof ruggedness for gigging, the stability regardless of environment and last but certainly not least the ability to have one built EXACTLY to your needs and desires.

For unplugged playing in the house, I'll almost always grab my Martin 000-18GE custom. It's lighter, louder and the tone is just that awesome Martin warm woody wonder. But if I'm plugging in or practicing for a gig (or playing a gig) the Emerald gets the call 99% of the time. Though both guitars have the same K&K system installed, the Emerald is much hotter. So much so that I require a preamp system with notch to dial out some of the A string which is always ringing out even hotter than the others.

If I had to choose between the two, well, I don't think I could. I guess it would depend on where I was in my life. If I was no longer playing out at all, just playing in my living room then I'd lean towards the Martin. If I was playing out still then I'd have to go with the Emerald.

I've got an Emerald Custom X7 woody on order that is going to be extremely similar to the X20. I cannot keep all three guitars. Either the Martin or the X20 will have to go. I'm assuming that despite the minor differences in body size, the X7 and X20 will sound very similar amplified and as such they will be redundant. If this is the case then the X20 will go on the block. But if they sound different then the Martin just might have cause to worry. One thing is for sure - it's going to be a VERY tough call!!
Old 08-11-2018, 06:12 PM

I guess I would be considered a pretty big Emerald fan, but I think every carbon guitar owner should have at least one good wooden guitar. So I would recommend that you put off the choice until you could add another guitar without selling your Martin… since you asked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber