The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2022, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Default McPherson Sable strings...

What strings do you all like to use on your Sable? I still have the original strings on and am thinking of switching to Martin Retro or Martin Lifespan.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 05-03-2022, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

For my Sable, I am using Elixir HD Lights. They sound OK and they last a long time. I am reasonably sure others have other recommendations.

I am not one who is fanatical about strings. I just use what is most convenient. Since I already had these laying around for my Taylors, I figured it was easier to just grab these than to have to shop around for strings.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-03-2022, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Hello Debbie, I have tried a lot of different strings on my Sable, but keep coming back to the Elixir nano HD lights also. The D'Addario NB's weren't too bad, so maybe the Retro's would work, I am not a fan of the Retros on most guitars. I know I had Lifespans on it at one time, but don't remember how they were. Please let us know how it goes !
Old 05-03-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I may just put the Elixir phosphor bronze lights on my Sable. The store that sold me the guitar actually sent me a 3 pack of those strings with the guitar when I got it a year ago. I think the Sable actually comes with mediums' on it? I am going to switch the saddle to the lower one they give you and try the lights. I'll see how I like the sound/tone.

thanks,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 05-03-2022, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
I may just put the Elixir phosphor bronze lights on my Sable. The store that sold me the guitar actually sent me a 3 pack of those strings with the guitar when I got it a year ago. I think the Sable actually comes with mediums' on it? I am going to switch the saddle to the lower one they give you and try the lights. I'll see how I like the sound/tone.

thanks,

Debbie
For me, playability is more important than tone unless the guitar really sounds awful (in which case I probably would not have bought it). My Sable had the lower saddle already on it and the HD Lights have lights for the bottom 3 strings (E, A, D) and medium for the top 3 (G B E).

Other than the Elixirs, I use D'Addario EJ-16 on my guitars too. I think those are like the 3 sets you got with your guitar. They will probably be a bit louder than coated strings, I would think.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-03-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

When I put the low saddle in, I also removed the rubber pad under the saddle. Since I don't plug in, it didn't matter to me, it's there to balance out the pu. I took the saddle down even lower, the guitar has very low action with no buzzing. A real joy for me to play.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:22 PM

I find my ears prefer on my Sable strings that are a little brighter. Have made various treated 80/20's work (Ernie Ball, Martin, others). Also the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze seemed to do OK. All in medium gage.

Have also tried P/B's and monels and didn't favor those as much on that guitar.

Raising the action slightly with a shim also helped in terms of volume. The guitar shipped with a fairly low action and I prefer my guitars to have action on the medium-high side to get a little more volume before buzzing.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
When I put the low saddle in, I also removed the rubber pad under the saddle. Since I don't plug in, it didn't matter to me, it's there to balance out the pu. I took the saddle down even lower, the guitar has very low action with no buzzing. A real joy for me to play.
That is an interesting thought since I don't really need to plug in. However, I already have my action as low as I can go without buzzing. One thing I did was deepen the nut slots just a bit, and that really helped fretting at the first fret. I posted on that in this sub-forum a while back.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-04-2022, 09:54 PM

DR Sunbeams

I've tried a dozen or more brands and models. To me, the DRs bring out the least "CF hyper-jangle".
Old 05-05-2022, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
DR Sunbeams

I've tried a dozen or more brands and models. To me, the DRs bring out the least "CF hyper-jangle".
What is “CF hyper-jangle”?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-05-2022, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
That would be a Rainsong with 80/20 strings....
Old 05-05-2022, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
With wood guitars, it is called "jibber jabber", a jangly sound that fits in well with country enthusiasts.

This moment of nonsense was made possible by the good folks at AGF.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-08-2022, 06:43 AM

Default Sable Strings

I've been looking for the right gauge for my Sable. I tried light strings with the high starting at 0.10, 0.11 and 0.12. Right now, I have an Elixr Nanoweb set with the high E of 0.13. I think that is a medium set but I have it tuned down a whole step.

I like the sound and the decreased tension. I capo up two frets if I want to be in standard tuning but I can go down a half or whole step to suit my voice on certain songs.

I really like how the carbon fiber guitars accomodate alternate tunings without as much fuss as wooden ones.

I have an Emerald Virtuo on order right now.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydasilva View Post
I've been looking for the right gauge for my Sable. I tried light strings with the high starting at 0.10, 0.11 and 0.12. Right now, I have an Elixr Nanoweb set with the high E of 0.13. I think that is a medium set but I have it tuned down a whole step.

I like the sound and the decreased tension. I capo up two frets if I want to be in standard tuning but I can go down a half or whole step to suit my voice on certain songs.

I really like how the carbon fiber guitars accomodate alternate tunings without as much fuss as wooden ones.

I have an Emerald Virtuo on order right now.
Welcome to the forum Ray !
Old 06-08-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydasilva View Post
I've been looking for the right gauge for my Sable. I tried light strings with the high starting at 0.10, 0.11 and 0.12. Right now, I have an Elixr Nanoweb set with the high E of 0.13. I think that is a medium set but I have it tuned down a whole step…

I really like how the carbon fiber guitars accomodate alternate tunings without as much fuss as wooden.

Seems like a great solution! While I don’t own a Sable I’ve played one. It does have a dark tone for CF (which I like) but also has some natural compression. Seems that since McPherson ships with mediums they would also be recommended.

I agree with that last statement too- no fuss!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber