The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Question Best way to teach a complete beginner?

Yeah, a stupid question, I know. I assume there are as many ways to teach as there are guitar teachers? But when you're first starting to play guitar, what should you look for in a teacher, and what should they be trying to teach you? In my 2nd lesson the teacher is telling me to play the scales in 16 different keys, and talking about arpeggio something, and pentatonic something, and my eyes just glazed over! Since I don't know much of anything yet about guitar, and don't really know where I'm going or what the goal is, maybe this is the right course, maybe not............any thoughts?

2toss
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toss View Post
Yeah, a stupid question, I know. I assume there are as many ways to teach as there are guitar teachers? But when you're first starting to play guitar, what should you look for in a teacher, and what should they be trying to teach you? In my 2nd lesson the teacher is telling me to play the scales in 16 different keys, and talking about arpeggio something, and pentatonic something, and my eyes just glazed over! Since I don't know much of anything yet about guitar, and don't really know where I'm going or what the goal is, maybe this is the right course, maybe not............any thoughts?

2toss
Hi 2toss...

Hello and Welcome to the forum! Glad you jumped in and started a thread.

Thoughts? Sounds like you are already questioning your teacher. If that's so, whether it's the teacher's fault or not, it seems you have different ideas about what you want to learn.

Is that so?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Larry:

Yes, I guess I am questioning the teacher's plan, and I guess I should ask him what the plan is for the first month (4 lessons), since he hasn't volunteered what we're going to try to accomplish. But being so new, maybe he's doing exactly the right thing. The reason I asked here is that a lot of people seem to start in different ways, with different types of programs and goals, and I'm basically clueless as to the right approach to take.

2toss
Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toss View Post
Larry:

Yes, I guess I am questioning the teacher's plan, and I guess I should ask him what the plan is for the first month (4 lessons), since he hasn't volunteered what we're going to try to accomplish. But being so new, maybe he's doing exactly the right thing. The reason I asked here is that a lot of people seem to start in different ways, with different types of programs and goals, and I'm basically clueless as to the right approach to take.

2toss
Hi 2toss...

I teach guitar, and I think you should ask. If you want to learn chords to play songs, then you need to speak up and tell him/her now, not after you've spent a month learning scales (which are a long way from playing songs).

Do you want to learn to play and sing at the same time? If so, tell them.

Is the teacher new at teaching?

Things you won't ever go wrong learning…
  • String names and order…
  • Names of the notes on the strings (1st 5 frets to start)
  • Learning to play common chords in the first 4-5 frets...
  • Learning to tune the guitar (a clip on electronic tuner is fine)

Hope you get it sorted out with your teacher.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM

IMO I would not start a beginner on any of that, yet. But what do I know? I am a big believer in learning your chord shapes and playing around with basic progressions. Don't get me wrong it's great to practice finger strength with scales but IMO if you don't have any music theory under your belt learning a ton of scales are useless, like owning a Bugatti Veyron but not the keys. Not to say you need theory to make scales work but it helps.

Last edited by Asharpisaflat; 02-05-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljguitar View Post
Things you won't ever go wrong learning…

Hope you get it sorted out with your teacher.

I 100% agree with this, you won't go wrong with any of that.
Good luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 AM

Mainly re-summarising previous posts.

--YOU must be clear where you want to go; electric/acoustic/classical???exam grades?? solo/classical playing?? song accompaniment and chords ??? Riock Band??

--YOU must tell your teacher where you want to go

--HE/She must then tell you how the lesson plan will go and develop over first few months.

--And if he/she id not gearing the lessons to YOUR goals, ditch the teacher.

Whilst the absolute basics may be similar, to me it is pointless teaching great slabs of theory if what you want is to do sing-along stuff to start with; yes, do a little bit of theory (10%) but get straight into teaching a few basic chord shapes, one or two strum patterns and possibly one fingertstyle. You can slowly introduce some theory if you're interested later.

If there's no fun you won't learn.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 AM

The best way to teach a beginner is to keep them interested until they grasp the basics.
Boring the pants off them with theory and scales is the wrong way to do this.
Songs/Riffs/Licks/ are a better bet. Doesn't mean you can't add some scales and theory, but those are secondary.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

I agree - this is first lesson stuff for me (as a teacher of beginners), although I usually save chords for the second lesson.
(I assume we can take for granted how to hold and fret the guitar properly...)
As well as the above, I'll hand out a couple of simple melodies to make scale practice more fun. (Ie, the 2nd point above means - for me - the natural notes, aka "C major scale", and there are a huge number of well-known pieces a beginner can play recognisably within a day or two, to feel a sense of early achievement. It doesn't have to be tedious and meaningless "scale practice".)

To the OP:
Your teacher doesn't sound very experienced to me. He may have taught intermediate players before, but should know you're a total beginner, and should be adjusting his lessons to suit. He should be asking you what kind of music you like, and what your goals are (short term and long term); he shouldn't be waiting for you to tell him.
Of course, you may not be ready to tackle the music you like, but he should be showing you the path to that, explaining why what he's giving you is essential or useful.
I never teach techniques or theory without some kind of real music context to demonstrate its application. You have to know why you're doing this or that exercise.

You should certainly never leave a lesson with any lingering confusion. You should have a clear idea of what you're going to work on before the next lesson and why, and be looking forward to it (both the private practice and the next lesson).
IOW, a lesson is where you are taught stuff. Your own practice time is where you actually learn it.
Anything you don't get, you ask your teacher. They're not there to tell you which way to go; they're there to help you get to where you want to go. They may be a very intelligent and knowledgeable guide, but they are only the satnav; you are the driver .

Last edited by JonPR; 02-06-2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 AM

I found that the best way to tech a complete beginner is to start with the basic chords G, C and D. Get them interested in a simple 3 chord song and then when they start to sound somewhat decent, they are more enthusiastic.

You should be informing your teacher exactly what YOU want. You're the one paying, make sure you get some playtime for your money.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavimac View Post
I found that the best way to tech a complete beginner is to start with the basic chords G, C and D. Get them interested in a simple 3 chord song and then when they start to sound somewhat decent, they are more enthusiastic.
I agree, although in my experience beginners find G and C hard.
A, D and E would make a better trio, for any song in the key of A.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Swap D with D7 and I agree.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I agree, usually when I get someone started with chords, A, D and E make a better combo.
As Larry mentioned, string names is definitely on top of the list. Also, a continuing emphasis should be put into tuning the guitar with a tuning fork. It's the first step in ear training and it's fairly easy after the first couple of bumps.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM

When I was first starting out, I thought I would see if I really wanted to play the Guitar. I started out with with Hal Leonard basic Guitar Book One that came with a CD. I read and played and completed the first book full of instruction. I truly enjoyed the lessons and the play along CD. It was that point and time that I decided I was now ready for lessons and that I would not be wasting my money because I truly wanted to play and learn more. I am blessed with my mentor and I have learned theory, scales, chords, songs, Bar Chords, Playing in position and ear training, arpeggio's and it goes on and on. Now my mentor/instructor needed to see where I was at in guitar when I first met him and he was impressed that I could read music and understand a lot of basic beginner instruction. I then told him I want to play Bluegrass and at times songs like wish you were here by Plink Floyd. I also told him I wanted to really understand this instrumnet and to also understand music theory. I have set a high bar for myself, but with a lot of practice and self desire, I am getting there. I can see the improvement (My wife is really impressed how much I have improved) and can see lights go on and pick things up that I couldn't figure out before. I am starting to put breaks together and most of all, learning the neck of my guitar and remembering where all the notes are. I am so happy to see where all this is going. The last part of this is that I decided to go back to college at night this coming spring for music theory in depth. This is just something I want to do. Sort of like some people wanting to learn a second language or a skill for a hobby, mine is that I want to learn music in depth.
Taylor 214e SB DLX

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write