The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-02-2012, 07:10 AM

Default Dixie Chicken

I had posted some Little Feat songs and had a request to do Dixie Chicken. This song is rather difficult to do as a solo on acoustic guitar but I gave it my best.

Willie

http://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr/dixie-chicken
Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 AM

Man that is GREAT!
I'm a big Feats fan and the late Lowell would have to give it a smile.
Really very nicely done!

Russ
Old 03-02-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZeus View Post
Man that is GREAT!
I'm a big Feats fan and the late Lowell would have to give it a smile.
Really very nicely done!

Russ
Russ,
Thanks so much

Willie
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Great. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Hi Willie,

Nice Job - nice guitar and nice vocals. New song/ group to me but I like. Nice pickin' interludes

Steve
Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Hi Willie,

Nice Job - nice guitar and nice vocals. New song/ group to me but I like. Nice pickin' interludes

Steve
Steve,
Thank you. If you are not familiar with Little Feat I highly recommend that you start checking them out. They have been a favorite of mine for more than forty years.

I would guess that almost every audience member, in any bar in America would know most of the lyrics to this song and it's not possible to keep them from singing along.

Last edited by williejohnson; 03-03-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Willie-I love your take on this tune. Your voice and phrasing is so cool. And your guitar playing? Dude! The whole thing sounds spectacular!

'78 Guild D-50
Martin D-18V
Martin HD-28V
http://www.reverbnation.com/edgoulart
Old 03-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Great job. Thanks for all your recordings. Become something I look forward to seeing here. Play out? Opportunities to see you play and sing?

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz'n Eddie View Post
Willie-I love your take on this tune. Your voice and phrasing is so cool. And your guitar playing? Dude! The whole thing sounds spectacular!
Thanks Ed, I really appreciate it.

Willie
Old 03-04-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
Great job. Thanks for all your recordings. Become something I look forward to seeing here. Play out? Opportunities to see you play and sing?

jeff
Jeff,
That's great. I've had to temporarily stop playing out due to damage to both of my hands. I'm waiting on a custom order for a very special guitar that I hope will allow me to get back out there again. I'll have to keep you posted.

Willie
Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm an old Feat fan also, but more to the point is your recording was amazing. That was so even and it sounded effortless. Good luck on your new guitar. Can you tell us more about it?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klef View Post
I'm an old Feat fan also, but more to the point is your recording was amazing. That was so even and it sounded effortless. Good luck on your new guitar. Can you tell us more about it?
Klef,
I'm glad you enjoyed the Feat stuff! There are a couple of older threads about the guitar but I'd be glad to tell you about it. Due to the damage to my hands, I can no longer play full scale guitars and I searched, in vain, for a guitar of a specific size and nut width for a very long time. Finally, I ended up ordering a Martin Custom Shop version of a guitar that they made a few of back in 1980-1981 called a 7-28. The one I have ordered is really kind of a cross between a D-28 and an HD28 but is ony 7/8ths the size. It is a 23" scale and 1 5/8 nut, which should allow me to continue to play and perform. I've spoken to a few people who either have or have played the original 7-28 and because it is really a Dred, even though it's small, it is still about as loud as a 000. I'm 3 1/2 months into a 6 month or so wait and I am really looking forward to getting it.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Mr. Johnson,
I just wanted to let some time go by and then give the 'chicken' another listen and I gotta tell you that while a record exec might be put off by the tempo (length) I just think it's the best art I've heard in a long time. This is an arduous piece (five minutes!) and you don't miss a beat. I don't listen like a record exec. I get comfortable and figure I'm in a nightclub so five minute songs work just fine. I like your recording maybe better than the original. Less produced and more accessible. Is your recording set-up elaborate with class A pre-amps and compressors or is it more pedestrian like a Apogee Duet into Garageband kind of thing?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM

So fine, playing and singing!!

Big Feat fan here, we used to cover a few way back when.

The guitar phrasing is very similar to another song "Chuck E's in Love" by Rickie Lee Jones, we used to perform both and I would screw up/mix the riffs.......

My friend you are a very fine player and singer, I'm a fan!!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klef View Post
Mr. Johnson,
I just wanted to let some time go by and then give the 'chicken' another listen and I gotta tell you that while a record exec might be put off by the tempo (length) I just think it's the best art I've heard in a long time. This is an arduous piece (five minutes!) and you don't miss a beat. I don't listen like a record exec. I get comfortable and figure I'm in a nightclub so five minute songs work just fine. I like your recording maybe better than the original. Less produced and more accessible. Is your recording set-up elaborate with class A pre-amps and compressors or is it more pedestrian like a Apogee Duet into Garageband kind of thing?
Klef,
Those are kind words brother, I appreciate it. I used to do this song both with the band and as a solo, so this arrangement is more along the lines of the solo performance. Any time you try to cover a Little Feat song as just a solo acoustic piece, you have to try to cover as many parts as possible and let the rest be "understood" by those who are familiar with the song. My recording set up is not elaborate at all, I'm playing through a Fishman SA220 (wonderful BTW) for both vocal and guitar and into a Tascam DP-02. The only effects are reverb and a little delay.

Willie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell