The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2022, 07:55 PM

Default Why Not Have Backplate Access Panels On All Emeralds?

I was recently looking at the body design of the Virtuo, specifically looking at the backplate, when I got to wondering whether putting a similar "back door" parallel to the bridge in acoustic CF guitars might make it easier to swap pickup systems in and out. Well, of course, it would but could it be done without adversely affecting the tone of a carbon fiber acoustic guitar? The Virtuo, being essentially a variation on the theme of hollowbody electric guitars, is not built to showcase its unplugged acoustic tone, so it would not make for a good test of concept. I'm not a luthier or a guitar tech so this may all be just idle speculation on a question that has already addressed and proved to be sonically ill advised. At the same time, how cool would it be to be able to swap out, say, an Anthem pickup for a K&K (or choose or own other pickup preference). Anyway, I'm certain that there are people on the forum who can offer expertise and/or educated opinions on this topic.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:30 AM

My Emerald Solace lap guitar has a back plate access panel. Mine is without electronics but would be easy to install such if needed. The Solace top facing sound holes are too small to provide access for my hand. I have not noticed any problem concerning sound because of the back plate access panel.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:44 AM

There have been a number of times an access panel would have been great on my RainSong and X30. I moved the output jack and installed a strap button on my RainSong, and I want to do the same to the X30.
Fortunately, I have a little minion I can conscript into service and have him put his little arm down the sound hole!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber