The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-26-2022, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So I called OWC and got answers to most my questions
And did order the 4 slot PCIe NVMe SSD enclosure with the Thunderbolt 3 connection and two OWC 2TB blades and I will use my two Samsung EVO 970 1TB blades in the other two slots

According to OWC I will only be able to RAID two of the same sizes blades (i.e. say the two 2TB blades) because you can't RAID drives of different sizes But I can still also use the other two but not in the RAID configuration ?? Does this jive with you peoples experiences ???
I'm used to being able to raid disks of differing sizes together
resulting in an array that corresponds to the smallest disk. I
guess some individual vendor's hardware might have different
limitations.

I've read a bunch of posts to this thread, probably not all of them. Are
y'all wanting raid for redundancy or performance? If it is for performance,
what causes that requirement? Are your tools blowing out data so fast
that you're ending up with corrupted files or ?

-Mike
Old 01-26-2022, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to OWC I will only be able to RAID two of the same sizes blades (i.e. say the two 2TB blades) because you can't RAID drives of different sizes But I can still also use the other two but not in the RAID configuration ?? Does this jive with you peoples experiences ???
I've never tried to array different sized drives (nor have I heard of anyone doing that) but it makes sense to me that they'd have to be the same size.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-26-2022, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I've never tried to array different sized drives (nor have I heard of anyone doing that) but it makes sense to me that they'd have to be the same size.
Yes it did not sound off to me I was just checking and it is really not a big deal. I told I would end up with 4 GB in Raid and 2 GB in a different config, which will work fine . As I noted I am brand new to RAID

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-26-2022, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I'm used to being able to raid disks of differing sizes together
resulting in an array that corresponds to the smallest disk. I
guess some individual vendor's hardware might have different
limitations.

I've read a bunch of posts to this thread, probably not all of them. Are
y'all wanting raid for redundancy or performance? If it is for performance,
what causes that requirement? Are your tools blowing out data so fast
that you're ending up with corrupted files or ?

-Mike
Mike being new to RAID I'm not quite understanding when you say "corresponds to the smallest disk " do you is limited to the smallest disk size ?

I thought the reason for RAID was to have Aggregate of all the drives ?

And no, not performance and not data corruption, the reason is for file storage , specifically Final Cut Pro X video files. My iMac works fine performance wise for my audio recording mixing and video recording and editing ...
But even though it is 2 TB iMac it was close to running out of storage, before I purged the FCPX folder. And most of my recordings are now for music audio/video productions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-26-2022, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mike being new to RAID I'm not quite understanding when you say "corresponds to the smallest disk " do you is limited to the smallest disk size ?

And no, not performance and not data corruption, the reason is for file storage , specifically Final Cut Pro X video files. My iMac works fine performance wise for my audio recording mixing and video recording and editing ...
But even though it is 2 TB iMac it was close to running out of storage, before I purged the FCPX folder. And most of my recordings are now for music audio/video productions
Some controllers might allow you to mix disk sizes, but for RAID configurations, you're going to "throw away" anything over the smallest disk capacity. The main options are mirroring (2 disks), so everything on the first disk is exactly copied to the 2nd, so what would you do with the extra storage? And the other options are "striping" where you divide the bytes of data evenly across the array. When the smallest disk is full, you can't "stripe" anything else.

Combining disks of different sizes is not RAID, but often called JBOD (just a bunch of disks) or some other name. Your controller may support that, but you won't get the option of redundancy or speed with that choice.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

^^ what keith.rogers said ^^

Generally you can raid different sized disks together, but you
end up not using the space on the bigger disks that exceeds
the size of the smallest one...

-Mike
Old 01-26-2022, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

If you just want more disk space, I'd skip RAID. Just add more disks. What raid gives you is the ability to either write different data in parallel to multiple disks (for speed), or to write the same data multiple times (for automatic backup). Or if you have enough disks you can get both.

With RAID 0, where you're splitting the data across disks, you do get the benefit of treating multiple drives as a single larger drive, but that comes with a cost - if any single drive fails, all your data will be lost. If you skipped RAID and just had two 1TB drives, for example, and one failed, you'd still have the projects stored on the other disk. With RAID, if one fails, you have lost everything.

If you're not using RAID for performance or redundancy (basically an automatic backup), there's little reason to use it.

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-26-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Hey thanks a bunch great info ..
Yes probably not for redundancy or performance (yet any way) But I am still just learning

My plan was simply use the extra drives as storage and then load the FCPX folder for a particular project ( I make a folder for each project with all the raw footage, photo's if any, audio and the library ) on to my iMac from the external drives and work on it there

But Doug as per the other thread about Streaming I am liking the idea of doing the video in FCPX but then go back to PT with the finished video and master the audio and export that to Youtube

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-26-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Just a quick update
I did get the OWC 4 slot PCIe SSD enclosure and did skip putting them in RAID

Mostly because the are for storage for finished video projects . Any current one I am working is on the Computer SSD Also notice a very faint fan noise that for example I do not want when recording mic'ed audio

So here is a screen shot the new SSD's show up in Yellow

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-05-2022, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I've been using RAID for well over twenty years. I use RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 5 depending on the use. I use RAID 0 ONLY for things like Photoshop scratch disc - because it's the fastest and, more importantly, there's never going to be anything stored permanently on a RAID 0 pair (and yeah, you can have more than two but most are just doing two). If one drive fails in a RAID 0 array you lose everything on both drives and that's not an acceptable risk for me. For all my working files and projects, I use a two drive RAID 1 - both for Photoshop and for Logic, well I did for Logic until the new M1 Max with its super fast internal drives arrived. That is backed up daily to a separate 5TB external Time Machine drive.

And finally for long term storage and archive I have something like 40 TB of RAID 5 storage, with each array being duplicated so there are two arrays, each with the same data and each of which that can lose a single drive and still have the array rebuilt.

No drives last forever but some configurations are more prone to risk so you need a thought out strategy to guide you to making the best choices.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 02-06-2022, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
I've been using RAID for well over twenty years. I use RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 5 depending on the use. I use RAID 0 ONLY for things like Photoshop scratch disc - because it's the fastest and, more importantly, there's never going to be anything stored permanently on a RAID 0 pair (and yeah, you can have more than two but most are just doing two). If one drive fails in a RAID 0 array you lose everything on both drives and that's not an acceptable risk for me. For all my working files and projects, I use a two drive RAID 1 - both for Photoshop and for Logic, well I did for Logic until the new M1 Max with its super fast internal drives arrived. That is backed up daily to a separate 5TB external Time Machine drive.

And finally for long term storage and archive I have something like 40 TB of RAID 5 storage, with each array being duplicated so there are two arrays, each with the same data and each of which that can lose a single drive and still have the array rebuilt.

No drives last forever but some configurations are more prone to risk so you need a thought out strategy to guide you to making the best choices.
My long term storage backup plan is see about an enclosure for the two 2 TB HDD's that are still left in my old Mac Pro Tower

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 02-06-2022, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My long term storage backup plan is see about an enclosure for the two 2 TB HDD's that are still left in my old Mac Pro Tower
What I use is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-PD-25.../dp/B01LZUM60A

So I can just hot plugin internal drives for backup and archiving. Hard drives are so cheap these days, even an 8TB drive can be had for a little over $100. And I have lots of smaller drives from old computers still lying around

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD