The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-25-2021, 06:34 PM

Default Plugging an electric direct in

Are there any players that plug their electric guitars direct in for playing? I actually like the sound of it for cleans - wondering if there are references in terms of players for this ?
Are there any particular types of electric guitars more suited for direct in?
Old 12-25-2021, 07:27 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppier View Post
Are there any players that plug their electric guitars direct in for playing? I actually like the sound of it for cleans - wondering if there are references in terms of players for this ?
Are there any particular types of electric guitars more suited for direct in?
Direct in to what ???

Are you asking about recording? Playing live? Or just practicing at home?
Old 12-25-2021, 08:09 PM

I meant direct in to my audio interface, but generally also direct in without a traditional guitar amp into something like a pa, or maybe an acoustic amp?
Old 12-25-2021, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

It won’t hurt anything. If you’re happy with the sound, you’re good to go.

There are those who like what’s called a “silent stage” in which no amps are used. But the guitar signals go through the players’ effects racks before being routed to the mixer. The players hear it either through stage monitors or their IEMs. Not everyone likes this, but I did it once and thought it was great.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've done it when playing recording sessions. The guitars have a really unique, clean sound when run that way. I've done it with a Les Paul and a Carvin Tele. Both worked really well. As you would expect, the Les Paul had a rounder, fuller, jazzier tone and the Tele was brighter. You typically run the guitar though a direct box, an active one, and then into the console or interface. For years we used the Countryman Type 85 box, which is still excellent, but of late we've been using the more modern Radial active boxes instead. Of course, many of the current interfaces can accept instrument signals but you may find them a little weak.

There are many examples of pros doing it through the years. The solo from "Another Brick in the Wall Pt.2" was originally played that way, a '54 Les Paul with P-90 pickups plugged directly with a compressor. David Gilmour decided it was too clean so he re-amped it and mixed the clean with a slightly dirtied-up version.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-26-2021, 01:38 AM

I've seen this a lot at open mics, but I typically don't like the sound. If you don't want to go through a guitar amp you might consider this for $25:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-modeler-pedal

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-26-2021, 03:10 AM

Oh I actually like the sound, I’m running it through a uad 610a plugin and it sounds really nice to me. It actually sounds a tad better to me than running through the tweed 55 plug-in .

Last edited by lppier; 12-26-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

…I’ve gone direct through a Milkman The Amp….it’s a very cool hybrid unit that can power a speaker or go direct to board for live performance or recording…it excels at all three and is a great headphone amp too….i wouldn’t want to go direct without a preamp of some sort….
Old 12-26-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I've seen this a lot at open mics, but I typically don't like the sound. If you don't want to go through a guitar amp you might consider this for $25:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-modeler-pedal
I'd agree with this, I've heard it done through a PA with both guitars and bass, IMO it just sounds flat and lifeles. Using even a very basic pre-amp or EQ pedal can improve things quite a bit.

If the OP likes the sound then he's good to go, I personally cant stand it.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

I really haven't tried plugging directly into my interface (for recording )

But I should give it try I suppose

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-26-2021, 09:21 AM

Never tried this, but after watching an "Ask Zac" video on this topic, I have been doing some reading. It seems most people that go direct have an amp pedal in the chain?
Old 12-26-2021, 09:59 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It all depends. Most of my work in the studio is now on a modeler, Line 6 Helix. As I said, I've plugged directly using a direct box. I always use EQ and compression when I do that. An electric guitar amp is a sound CREATOR, not a reproducer. They started out trying to reproduce but failed miserably and people began to like the failure and then players pushed them into distortion and various effects. When you push a tube amp the power section begins to distort and to compress. If it has a tube rectifier it can also limit the initial transients of the electric guitar. We are so used to that from amplifiers that a 100% clean direct guitar signal sounds alien to us.

Do you want to hear a direct guitar with a Big Muff fuzz box? Try this ES-335 solo:

I actually met and played with the guitarist who played that solo back, Tony Peluso, in 1972. He used a razor blade to serrate his pick to get the overtones. He and Richard Carpenter created a new genre with the song: the "power ballad." More about my encounter, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-26-2021, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I often plug right into my interface and record that way. No direct box and I get a very good signal right off my guitar and from the interface. I use Guitar Rig as a plug-in to my DAW. I routinely get electric guitar sounds that sound just like my amp. I like this approach because I can change the amp EQ or drive or any number of things after the recording to make adjustments later.

- Glenn
Old 12-26-2021, 11:36 AM

About 30 years ago I made a demo tap plugging my Guild X170 direct into a tape deck. The recorded sound was very clean, with a sound very much like an acoustic guitar. I guess a lot depends on what sound you're looking for.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:41 PM

I believe Tuck Andress plugs his Gibson L5 with an active Bartolini humbucker direct in without an amp (though I think he does use some effects).

Check out his solo work, as well as his duo work with his wife.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars