The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2021, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Rainsong APSE (and impressions versus Emerald X-20)

I purchased a new Rainsong Al Pettaway APSE a couple of weeks ago. The carbon fiber guitars I have owned are primarily used as my travel guitar as I have some pretty nice wooden guitars in my collection. This will be my third Rainsong. I started with a P-12 6 years ago and loved it but eventually wanted something with a bigger body and tone so I sold it and bought a CO-WS1005NST. I really liked the tone of this guitar, reminded me of a really nice spruce/EIR GA sized guitar but over time I wanted something size wise similar to an OM/000 sized body. This led to selling the RS and getting an Emerald X-20 with a Cocobolo veneer top and short scale early last summer.

I’m a fingerstyle player and at this point playing the APSE against the X-20, I’m pretty sure I’ll be selling the X-20. The X-20 is one of the prettiest guitars anyone can own. The looks are stunning and the ergonomics are wonderful. It’s probably the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. Tonally, it has a very sweet and balanced tone (balance = sweet tone to my ear) but compared to my Doerr, Froggy Bottom, and Edwinson wood guitars, it lacks some meat in the trebles and the low end seems to have a bit of (for lack of a better term) “twang”. If I was a strummer or flatpicker, I don’t think I would notice this and this leads me to the conclusion that the X-20 is a great design that is meant to do everything well.

I was attracted to the APSE because it was a collaboration between Al Pettaway (a stellar fingerstyle artist if you are not familiar with his playing) and RS. Aesthetically it looks very plain compared to the X-20 and ergonomically I’ll miss the X-20’s body bevels but the APSE is still quite comfortable. Al specified a satin finish on the guitar to keep it thin and non-glaring plus he felt it made the guitar look more like a wooden guitar. I believe he also worked with RS on the build spec in terms of the layup to get a very balanced tone to where each string is equal volume wise. This guitar is designed and built specifically for fingerstyle players. Like many other 12 fret designs, the bridge is shifted more to the center of the lower bout so you get a fuller, richer low end than the X-20 (14 fret neck). I put a set of Thomastik Plectrum strings on it and it’s just lovely and rich especially in DADGAD. I hardly ever play plugged in but this guitar is setup with the LR Baggs Anthem Pro pickup so it will be fun to try out.

Here’s a link if interested: https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ne...struction.html

If you are a primarily a fingerstyle player, the APSE is worth a look based on my happy experience as a new owner. I think this is the best carbon fiber guitar I have played for the style I want to play.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 04-21-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Your assessment corresponds with mine. I've gone back and forth with Emeralds and Rainsongs, but overall I prefer the more traditional Rainsong body shape and lighter weight...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-21-2021, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Your assessment corresponds with mine. I've gone back and forth with Emeralds and Rainsongs, but overall I prefer the more traditional Rainsong body shape and lighter weight...
Until your next Emerald, of course
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-21-2021, 07:41 AM

Congrats on your new APSE!

Sometimes too much bass can really work against a fingerstyle player as the guitar can lack definition and sound muddy. Other than comfort, this is the biggest reason why I prefer a smaller bodied guitar. Ever notice how edgy and loud a parlor sounds when playing blues fingerstyle? Give me a parlor or OM any day over a dread or jumbo guitar for this type of playing.

I can't draw first hand experience regarding Emeralds but RainSongs sure do work well for us fingerstylers. The treble response is remarkable for someone like me who can't grow nails very well (and refuses to do acrylic )

Last edited by steelvibe; 04-21-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Great report!

When I first started playing my X30, I noticed that the trebles seemed very slightly more subdued compared to my RainSong. But I made a couple of crude iPhone recordings, and in front of the guitar, if anything, the Emerald was louder.

I've played one of those 12 fret RainSong OMs (not the APSE) and I loved it - I don't typically like my tone on smaller guitars, but these were awesome. In one of the Youtube videos, Al mentioned his Mountain Guitar album contains several tracks recorded with this very guitar - and he claims no one has figured out what those tracks are - considering that he owns some single luthier built BRW instruments, that is truly a credit to these instruments!

Many congrats and enjoy!
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 04-21-2021, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on finding a guitar that works for you ! Sounds awesome.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Until your next Emerald, of course
Darn, you've got my number....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 AM

It's also been my experience that Rainsong OMs and parlors make fantastic fingerstyle guitars. The sound just leaps out of them. I mainly flatpick and love my X20 for that purpose, but it's rather subdued when played with bare fingers. Not so with the Rainsongs that I've tried.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Good to find what works best for your use. Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2021, 02:11 PM

I've also found the OM and Parlor Rainsongs to be ideal for fingerstyle work, the smaller bodies tend to have better focus and clarity in the tone for that sort of play. Both play well with a pick, the OM is incredibly balanced for all kinds of play, and the Parlor excels at Robert Johnson-style blues licks. The APSE definitely has better electronics than my Shorty does, so that should provide you with a strong advantage should you ever need.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Just chiming in with a congratulations on your new APSE.

I have an APLE, and I love it, as does everyone who has ever played it. Very few people ever realize it’s CF including the listeners and casual players as well, and they’re usually interestedly shocked when I show them the weave inside the soundhole and explain what it is.

Mine is great for fingerstyle, as has been mentioned, and also flatpicks just fine for me with a medium or occasionally stronger touch. Extremely comfortable and amplifies well to boot. Mine’s a keeper and I’ll bet yours becomes that as well.

Enjoy it!
Old 04-22-2021, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I purchased a new Rainsong Al Pettaway APSE a couple of weeks ago. The carbon fiber guitars I have owned are primarily used as my travel guitar as I have some pretty nice wooden guitars in my collection. This will be my third Rainsong. I started with a P-12 6 years ago and loved it but eventually wanted something with a bigger body and tone so I sold it and bought a CO-WS1005NST. I really liked the tone of this guitar, reminded me of a really nice spruce/EIR GA sized guitar but over time I wanted something size wise similar to an OM/000 sized body. This led to selling the RS and getting an Emerald X-20 with a Cocobolo veneer top and short scale early last summer.

I’m a fingerstyle player and at this point playing the APSE against the X-20, I’m pretty sure I’ll be selling the X-20. The X-20 is one of the prettiest guitars anyone can own. The looks are stunning and the ergonomics are wonderful. It’s probably the most comfortable guitar I have ever played. Tonally, it has a very sweet and balanced tone (balance = sweet tone to my ear) but compared to my Doerr, Froggy Bottom, and Edwinson wood guitars, it lacks some meat in the trebles and the low end seems to have a bit of (for lack of a better term) “twang”. If I was a strummer or flatpicker, I don’t think I would notice this and this leads me to the conclusion that the X-20 is a great design that is meant to do everything well.

I was attracted to the APSE because it was a collaboration between Al Pettaway (a stellar fingerstyle artist if you are not familiar with his playing) and RS. Aesthetically it looks very plain compared to the X-20 and ergonomically I’ll miss the X-20’s body bevels but the APSE is still quite comfortable. Al specified a satin finish on the guitar to keep it thin and non-glaring plus he felt it made the guitar look more like a wooden guitar. I believe he also worked with RS on the build spec in terms of the layup to get a very balanced tone to where each string is equal volume wise. This guitar is designed and built specifically for fingerstyle players. Like many other 12 fret designs, the bridge is shifted more to the center of the lower bout so you get a fuller, richer low end than the X-20 (14 fret neck). I put a set of Thomastik Plectrum strings on it and it’s just lovely and rich especially in DADGAD. I hardly ever play plugged in but this guitar is setup with the LR Baggs Anthem Pro pickup so it will be fun to try out.

Here’s a link if interested: https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ne...struction.html

If you are a primarily a fingerstyle player, the APSE is worth a look based on my happy experience as a new owner. I think this is the best carbon fiber guitar I have played for the style I want to play.
The APSE has a beautiful burst on it! **** fine sound too. All the best with it! I love my Rainsong CH-OM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber