The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-11-2006, 07:05 AM

Default < $100 vocal mic

Any recommendations or advice on vocal microphones in this price range? I've been considering the Shure 58A and Sennheiser E835. I'm not sure which others I should consider, or which would suit my all-purpose (live, recording, durable, etc.) needs.

610e, 914CE-L1, 354-CE LTD (Maple!), baby, Taylor Classic Electric Guitar, Vox AC30CC2, Fender J-Bass, Carvin AD100D, Takamine Classical, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX F tuba, Conn 2J CC tuba
Gone but not forgotten: 810e, AB-1, 414-CE, Epi Les Paul Custom Flametop, Miraphone 188
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 AM

there really isn't an all purpose microphone. The SM58 will fit your bill. They are perhaps the best microphone under 100 dollars. They will do magic live but their recording capabilities are not that great.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:28 AM

Thanks, Camelback. Okay, so maybe I should rephrase my question. I'm looking for a general purpose microphone. I don't think I'll be cutting any CDs any time soon (ha, ha), and will use the mic mostly for live performances and personal recording.
Is durability the reason why some people prefer the Shure 58A? Is the Sennheiser less durable? What about sound reproduction? Is one "better" than the other? I know they must be different, but how?

610e, 914CE-L1, 354-CE LTD (Maple!), baby, Taylor Classic Electric Guitar, Vox AC30CC2, Fender J-Bass, Carvin AD100D, Takamine Classical, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX F tuba, Conn 2J CC tuba
Gone but not forgotten: 810e, AB-1, 414-CE, Epi Les Paul Custom Flametop, Miraphone 188
Old 05-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Default It's hard to go wrong for $20 and shipping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesbrass
Any recommendations or advice on vocal microphones in this price range? I've been considering the Shure 58A and Sennheiser E835. I'm not sure which others I should consider, or which would suit my all-purpose (live, recording, durable, etc.) needs.
Hi JB...
If live work and light recording is your aim let me suggest a mic that will save you some bucks. The Behringer XM 8500 is a $20 knockoff of the SM-58, and they work great. I know what some will say - ''Can a $20 be any good?'' because that's what I said when someone showed them to me.

We originally bought three for our live headphone monitor system (for musicians to communicate back to the soundboard & each other during live shows) and they surprised us. Now we use them and SM-58s interchangeably. My gigging partner and I carry them in our coffeehouse bag and with our light PA rigs.

They have been durable enough to withstand the rigors of weekly outings and the general abuse mics take in public places for a couple years. We have not ''dunk'' tested them, or driven nails with them and don't plan to. They have been dropped and continue to work fine.

The sound is not identical to an SM-58, though it is very close. The cosmetics are close enough that other musicians use them and think they were using 58s. The sound is pleasant through PAs, easy to adjust for tone, and not harsh or dull in a live mix.

XM8500 link - click

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-11-2006, 11:43 AM

Larry, thanks for the tip. For $20, I don't think I can go wrong. I'll give the Behringer a try.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:57 AM

For me, 'all purpose' would mean recording / amping vocals, instruments and/or amps. I'd recommend the Shure Beta 57. It's a little bit over a hundred beans, but has the crispest, most 'true' sound I've ever heard in a 'drag around to the bars' mic. Strong, clean, sturdy.

Good luck!
-Tim from Jersey
Old 05-11-2006, 05:35 PM

Depends on what your looking for. I like the E835 because of it's lack of proximity effect. It doesn't get all boomy when you get real close to it and makes it easier to work the mic. If you like the proximity effect than I'd look at the AKG emotion D880. I, personally think the SM58 sounds a bit more nasally than the otheres I mentioned. The E835 seems to have more intelligibility with the EQ set flat and more accurate, but less bassy than the AKG. My singing partner likes the AKG but to me it's not as clear. To each his own I guess.
You won't go wrong with any of the 3. The Sennheiser looks cooler IMHO.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemtone
For me, 'all purpose' would mean recording / amping vocals, instruments and/or amps. I'd recommend the Shure Beta 57. It's a little bit over a hundred beans, but has the crispest, most 'true' sound I've ever heard in a 'drag around to the bars' mic. Strong, clean, sturdy.

Good luck!
-Tim from Jersey
Try these folks:
http://www.ggvideo.com/
they'll meet that price.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:23 PM

58 a classical for voice
57 its a fireman, even in the great studios have one
it was 3 oclock in the morning, i was producing an earlymusic record, we are in a old church, and we have all kinds of fancy ones(neumann, shuepps, senhaiser, akg
etc) in one song the soprano voice, did not works with the natural reverb of the place. yes we use a 57!!!
58 and 57 are high recomendable please get a set
kabalan
Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 PM

I've heard some not so pleasant opinions about Senheiser's E-series microphones...
On the other hand, a friend and I were really surprised at how well Samson's R-11 mics sounded...3 mics for way less than a "C note".
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
[FONT=Lucida Console][size=2][color=darkslategray]Hi JB...
If live work and light recording is your aim let me suggest a mic that will save you some bucks. The Behringer XM 8500 is a $20 knockoff of the SM-58, and they work great.
Does this hold for recording the acoustic guitar, or is this mic primarily for vocal? If not, what would be a low cost equivalent for recording the acoustic guitar?
Formerly ITArchitect

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification