The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Default What to expect on your first guitar lesson

I had my first guitar lesson and I feel like I walked away learning nothing. He seemed awkward and acted as if it was his first day on the job. He came highly recommended by two guys who can play the guitar fairly well. During my lesson he showed off his guitar skills for 10+ minutes, asked what songs I wanted to learn, handed me a printed form of chords and wrote out a few strumming patterns.

After about 25 minutes he asked if I had any questions. Mind you, when I booked the lesson I told him I know absolutely nothing about guitars but I always wanted to learn. So I said, ‘Since I don’t even know guitars I don’t even know how to strum or if I’m even holding the pick correctly.’ He was embarrassed and said, ‘Oh yeah, let’s see.’ A few minutes later my lesson was up.

My gut tells me he teaches students who have some background in guitars and not newbies like myself. Thoughts?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spkey View Post
I had my first guitar lesson and I feel like I walked away learning nothing. He seemed awkward and acted as if it was his first day on the job. He came highly recommended by two guys who can play the guitar fairly well. During my lesson he showed off his guitar skills for 10+ minutes, asked what songs I wanted to learn, handed me a printed form of chords and wrote out a few strumming patterns.

After about 25 minutes he asked if I had any questions. Mind you, when I booked the lesson I told him I know absolutely nothing about guitars but I always wanted to learn. So I said, ‘Since I don’t even know guitars I don’t even know how to strum or if I’m even holding the pick correctly.’ He was embarrassed and said, ‘Oh yeah, let’s see.’ A few minutes later my lesson was up.

My gut tells me he teaches students who have some background in guitars and not newbies like myself. Thoughts?
It was his first day on the job... with you. He may have misunderstood just how much of a new thing that this actually was to you. First days are usually as much about finding your footing for both the teacher and the student as anything else. If your friends did not steer you wrong, I'd bet the next one will be better.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I would simply recommend taking an introductory lesson with 2-3 local teachers if you can and see which feels right. This instructor might be an excellent player and technical teacher, however listening well, being perceptive to your needs, giving good feedback and having "chemistry" is also important.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:11 PM

You are logged into an internet forum.
You know how to use a computer and the internet.
Find out what you want to learn so he can know what to teach.
Youtube.
Justinguitar.
(1000 thousand more at least.)

Oh, yeah.
Welcome.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Do another lesson with him. I'm sure this time he will go over more of the basics.

Just keep in mind that he can't play the guitar for you. You have to be relentless in your practicing. The instructor will just more or less guide you and help you when you have difficulty interpreting music.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Do another lesson with him. I'm sure this time he will go over more of the basics..
I strongly disagree. The guy may be a reasonable guitar player. A teacher he is not. Take your hard earned money somewhere else. Anywhere else.

His behaviour, playing for 10 minutes, that sort of thing, reminds me of a favourite quote: You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Many good online resources as previous posts mentioned.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Do another lesson with him. I'm sure this time he will go over more of the basics.

Just keep in mind that he can't play the guitar for you. You have to be relentless in your practicing. The instructor will just more or less guide you and help you when you have difficulty interpreting music.
Barry is exactly right about this. You can't expect too much out of the first lesson, if anything at all. Learning guitar is challenging and a very different experience. You begin to ask yourself questions like "Will I ever be able to make a D chord without buzzing? That's the first thing I asked myself back in 1986. My point is, you're only ready for so much in the first lesson. Some people take to it quickly, some slower. I think I had to spend four lessons on the D chord alone, or at least talked about it in each of those early lessons I took.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:41 PM

Sounds like my guitar teacher in the 70s. Great guy, still a friend, and a talented musician, which is why he was sought out. But as a teacher...mostly wasted time.
The advice to try other teachers is spot on. And lessons online via skype can put you in touch with some truly great teachers with tremendous experience getting beginners up and running and having fun.
The availability of high quality guitar teachers today is incredible.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 PM

Wow strum patterns on the first lesson? If you have zero guitar experience, then he should’ve started with the very basics. How to hold the pick is quite important. I recommend you look online for some basics and start practicing. Build some calluses and finger flexibility. That’s the hardest part when you first start learning guitar.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:23 AM

1958, it was twinkle, twinkle little star.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:57 AM

I'm with those who feel this guy is NOT a good teacher.

Instead of spending the first 10 minutes wasting your time he should have been talking with you to learn about your interest in guitar, what you do and don't know, can and can't do and then come up with a teaching plan to help you work toward your goals. I would guess the guys who recommended him may be good players but maybe not savvy guitar students and most likely not this teachers students.

The idea of auditioning a few teachers (even if you have to pay for 1 lesson each), is a pretty good idea. You seem to be pretty observant, I think you'll know when you're working with someone who can teach in a way you'll appreciate and enjoy. I'd put this guy on hold for now....
Old 04-13-2018, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'd probably give hime another chance and be clear about your level and goals. If you can get a lesson with another person to compare, that would be good.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:00 AM

Find another teacher.

A real teacher doesn't teach a real teacher helps you learn.

Showing off skills is not helping you learn.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
1958, it was twinkle, twinkle little star.
Still the same in 1980
Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post

Showing off skills is not helping you learn.
This is why I told my wife to find someone other than me to teach her to play the bass. And she did, and life is good again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write