The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-09-2018, 05:23 AM

Default What's that strumming pattern?

Maybe this has already been asked & answered but I'm finding it difficult to figure out the strumming patterns of song tutorials I watch. The occasional person will say use DDUUDU (or similar) but most don't. Tabs I'm looking for almost never have it. As a result my strumming is a weak part of my practice.

So my question is two-part: 1.) Does a song have to use a very specific strum pattern or can you play any "close enough" pattern for a song? 2.) is there a trick to, or how can I improve the ability to detect the strumming pattern of a song I hear or am watching a tutorial for when none is provided?

I want to be as true to the song as I can but I also want to learn to play it and improve.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:48 AM

My take: don't over think it.

If you have an idea about how you want it to sound, relax and play. Listen. If you are not happy with the result, try something different.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMocha View Post
Maybe this has already been asked & answered but I'm finding it difficult to figure out the strumming patterns of song tutorials I watch. The occasional person will say use DDUUDU (or similar) but most don't. Tabs I'm looking for almost never have it. As a result my strumming is a weak part of my practice.

So my question is two-part: 1.) Does a song have to use a very specific strum pattern or can you play any "close enough" pattern for a song? 2.) is there a trick to, or how can I improve the ability to detect the strumming pattern of a song I hear or am watching a tutorial for when none is provided?

I want to be as true to the song as I can but I also want to learn to play it and improve.
Bobby: I struggled with this for a couple of years. (and still struggle with it a bit) Rhythm is generally overlooked by teachers who typically focus on melody and harmony.

What helped me was studying rhythm as a focus area. I used “Justinguitar’s Strumming Techniques 1 & 2” DVDs, as well as their Rhythm Reading book. These helped me to recognize rhythmic patterns, and showed me how to recreate that rhythmic feel on the guitar.

As to being true to a song, there are often several percussive instruments that contribute to the rhythmic feel of a song. As a solo guitarist, you are trying to get that same feel with just one instrument. That can be a difficult feat.

Enjoy the journey!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

The most important advice I ever got from one of my guitar mentors was a response to me asking that question. His answer was:

"you guys need to stop trying to figure out the strumming pattern and just FEEL the music"

I didn't get it, at first and thought he was just being unhelpful.

After a while this sunk in and it changed my guitar-playing-life.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 04-09-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:25 AM

I think it's important to feel the pulse of the music--what is it? Eighth notes? Sixteenths? Some combination?

I think there's some tunes where the strumming is very specific to the tune sounding "correct." Pinball Wizard, anyone? But that's not all that common...generally, there's a groove to follow, and ad-libbing is cool...

I never understood the DUDUDUDDUD way of denoting a strum pattern, as it leaves out the most important thing about rhythm--TIME!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-09-2018, 08:50 AM

And listen to the drummer for clues as to the right down up pattern. And most importantly understand that you need to stop strumming for a moment to allow the song to breathe and the other guitar to play the riff or fill. Enjoy the rhythm.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I

I never understood the DUDUDUDDUD way of denoting a strum pattern, as it leaves out the most important thing about rhythm--TIME!

Exactly. And that’s what I’m struggling with. Getting the three in sync: rhythm, tempo and melody. Maybe that’s something that will come in time (no pun intended) with practice.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:14 AM

Why don't we pick a real tune and go through it?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
So my question is two-part: 1.) Does a song have to use a very specific strum pattern or can you play any "close enough" pattern for a song?
Depends on the song, but usually the latter. Most songs don't have specific strumming patterns. With those that do, they vary in importance.
Quote:
2.) is there a trick to, or how can I improve the ability to detect the strumming pattern of a song I hear or am watching a tutorial for when none is provided?
If you can't hear a distinctive strumming pattern - or if it seems to vary - then there isn't one.

Just keep time with downstrokes on the beats (or on every 8th note if it's slow enough). What matters is that your strumming hand keeps time with that regular movement - whether you hit the strings with every D and U or not. Which strokes actually hit the strings (down or up) creates the patterns, but that's usually variable. Even in songs with complicated strumming patterns, the hand is still moving in that regular down-up way - you shouldn't ever change direction, or freeze the movement.
Generally, in rock songs you'd accent beats 2 and 4. Upstrokes usually work best when you don't think about them at all: keep time with the downs (counting beats if you have to), and let the pick hit the strings on the way back up if it happens to.

Imagine you're sawing wood: you push down generally, yes? The saw will also bite to some degree as you draw it up, but you don't usually think about that. Obviously it has to come back up before the next down!

Guitar strumming patterns are no more complicated than that really. It's the regular, steady movement that gets the job done. You want to cut deeper? hit harder. That's about it.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Why don't we pick a real tune and go through it?

I’ve been working on The Band’s THE WIEGHT and The Arlo Guthrie version of CITY OF NEW ORLEANS.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...is there a trick to, or how can I improve the ability to detect the strumming pattern of a song I hear or am watching a tutorial for when none is provided?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
...stop trying to figure out the strumming pattern and just FEEL the music....
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
...I didn't get it, at first and thought he was just being unhelpful.After a while this sunk in and it changed my guitar-playing-life.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
If it's consistent timing (e.g., 8th notes), spacers give the timing:

D-DU-UDU

Covers a lot of simple cases.

Last edited by JimCA; 04-09-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly. And that’s what I’m struggling with. Getting the three in sync: rhythm, tempo and melody. Maybe that’s something that will come in time (no pun intended) with practice.
Rhythm - make your stumming hand keep a steady beat, down & up. Continuously. That's rhythm. (tap your foot if it helps) Best basic approach is to strum down on the 1, 2, 3 & 4 beats, and up on the ones in between. That's your rhythm engine - keep it going. Strumming patterns come from not hitting the strings on selected down or up strokes - but your strumming hand keeps on going, regardless of whether you're hitting strings or not.

Tempo - that's just how fast (or slow) your rhythm is

Melody - you don't need to worry about the melody until you develop basic stumming skills. Once you have some control over your strumming, i.e. your rhythm is good and you can hit or not hit the strings when you want, you can let the rhythm of the melody (where the notes fall) help you decide what kind of strumming pattern sounds good. Or you can copy what somebody else is doing. But the vast majority of all rhythm patterns are based on a good solid, rhythmic strumming hand. Get that first.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Rhythm - make your stumming hand keep a steady beat, down & up. Continuously. That's rhythm. (tap your foot if it helps) Best basic approach is to strum down on the 1, 2, 3 & 4 beats, and up on the ones in between. That's your rhythm engine - keep it going. Strumming patterns come from not hitting the strings on selected down or up strokes - but your strumming hand keeps on going, regardless of whether you're hitting strings or not.

Tempo - that's just how fast (or slow) your rhythm is

Melody - you don't need to worry about the melody until you develop basic stumming skills. Once you have some control over your strumming, i.e. your rhythm is good and you can hit or not hit the strings when you want, you can let the rhythm of the melody (where the notes fall) help you decide what kind of strumming pattern sounds good. Or you can copy what somebody else is doing. But the vast majority of all rhythm patterns are based on a good solid, rhythmic strumming hand. Get that first.

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’ve been working on The Band’s THE WIEGHT and The Arlo Guthrie version of CITY OF NEW ORLEANS.
Have you tried playing along with the recordings? You may not be able to hear the acoustic guitar part (if there is one) but some combination of what the bass/drums/keyboards are doing may give you a good place to start. The guitar intro in the studio version of The Weight is trickier than it sounds, but after that just let it flow. I learned to play those songs with the recordings, and while I can't explain to you how I do it, I can do it, no conscious thought involved. Good song choices, BTW

Keep in mind there are really lots of good ways to play a tune. Unless it's Pinball Wizard, or the opening chord "riffs" to a tune like Melissa or Sister Golden Hair, as long as you keep good time no one is going to call the strumming police on you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write