The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

ProTools since 1999, on a Mac.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:44 PM

i use logic, reason and live depending upon my mood. ha!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-03-2016, 11:13 PM

This is all very interesting to me...

With the number of recording programs out today there it's good to
see what people are using and why.

It's come a long way since the days of tape recording.

I used to record myself on an old stereo cassette tape recorder
that really didn't sound too bad and still have.

I'm dating myself a bit, LOL!!
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
Mid 80's Alvarez 5009 classical
63 Yamaha No100 classical
89 Gibson Les Paul Standard
04 Gibson Les Paul Supreme
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
05 Gibson SG Special Peter Townsend
95 G&L Legacy
Old 03-03-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
The responses here are very surprising. I thought for sure there would be one or two common software platforms used by most folks, along with a handful of packages trailing in second and third place.

Ray
So far we have 4 respondents listing Logic (full disclosure, it's my DAW of choice) either exclusively or as their primary DAW, 3 for Reaper and 2 for Pro Tools along with several individual options.
While I agree with RayCJ that there are more software platforms cited than I would have expected, the big surprise is that Reaper is used by more respondents than Pro Tools, which to the best of my knowledge (admittedly limited) is still the industry standard. I think this informal survey illustrates how similar many DAWs are and that there is a recording software out there to suit just about any personal preference in terms of work flow and/or specific need.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
So far we have 4 respondents listing Logic (full disclosure, it's my DAW of choice) either exclusively or as their primary DAW, 3 for Reaper and 2 for Pro Tools along with several individual options.
While I agree with RayCJ that there are more software platforms cited than I would have expected, the big surprise is that Reaper is used by more respondents than Pro Tools, which to the best of my knowledge (admittedly limited) is still the industry standard. I think this informal survey illustrates how similar many DAWs are and that there is a recording software out there to suit just about any personal preference in terms of work flow and/or specific need.
I didn't throw my hat in the ring originally, but if you're going for numbers I use Reaper.

Why?

It's the closest thing to Protools without being Protools, and at a very reasonable price. I love their business model and appreciate them placing trust in the user.

It's fairly easy to master the basics of editing and has a very extensive complement of plug ins that are well-designed and easy to use. It uses system resources frugally and doesn't crash. It keeps getting better and I'm now using the latest version for simple video editing. I suspect the developers will expand the video editing capabilities as they progress with refinements.

I always liked the idea of Protools, but didn't adopt as an early user because it was tied to hardware that was beyond my means to purchase.

I suspect the choice of software by respondents is heavily influenced by which platform they compute on. Reaper is more likely to be a strong candidate for PC users.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Reaper, though I'm not very adept at it, nor do much recording.

Used free Audacity for while which is more straightforward for very simple editing (trim, normalize, fade out, convert to mp3). I used to record my daughter's HS jazz and band concerts with my H4n and have the files on-line before the night was over. The other parents loved it!
Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Reaper, though I'm not very adept at it, nor do much recording.

Used free Audacity for while which is more straightforward for very simple editing (trim, normalize, fade out, convert to mp3). ....[snip]...
My story is pretty much the same.

Using Reaper is going fine, and I'm never wanting for more capabilities. However, I don't do enough editing to get deep into those features and I don't use it often enough to remember what I had previously learned.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting, but to me the numbers of people who use of Reaper on this forum is not really a surprise at all, and what I would have expected.
While there certainly some on AGF who's professional careers are specifically tied to recording and or mixing. By far the largest numbers here are home recording enthusiasts , or record in conjunction with or support of various pro and or semi pro careers in music.

Given that Reaper is arguably far and away the most full featured DAW for less than several hundred dollars , @ $60 it is in fact a real bargain and represents a real value. And while I said I tried Reaper but opted not to use it, that is as much a reflection of my being so well versed and comfortable with PT's specific work flow ( and language), as it is there being anything particularly wrong with Reaper.

Plus I see three more possible factors at play.
As Rudy 4 noted, if the number ratio here of PC users vs Mac users is anything like the national numbers then there are quite a few more PC users, which would automatically reflect lower numbers for Logic use.
Also because Pro Tools vanilla is still at the upper tier price point for a basic full featured DAW and the fact that Pro Tools has now more or less gone to subscription model, which many object to.
And I would guess the the larger numbers of users on AGF have started recording using a DAW in maybe 5 years or less which puts them in time frame with may more viable options including Reaper then say 10 years ago when Pro Tools and Logic were definitely the big dogs.

But IMO Rudy 4's statement about Reaper being closest to PT is pretty questionable. While most full featured DAWs offer the same basic features and in terms of just recording a music file into the DAW in this respect, almost all DAW's are very similar. But once the file is in the DAW is where there are numerous differences in the the actual implementation of handling, setting up the session , routing, editing, etc. and the DAW specific terminology 9language), and those respects IMO there are significant differences between PT and Reaper and they could hardly be further apart, as say for example comparing PT to Studio One, or Logic.

And yes Pro Tools is still the most used in Professional recording studios but that is slowly changing as for example in Bob Womack's situation.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-04-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:20 AM

My understanding, at least from a discussion I had with a former employee of Daddy's Junkie Music who
worked part time as a recording engineer) explained that the biggest difference between Pro Tools and
other DAW applications was in the plugins.

He felt that any DAW basically does the same thing, records sounds and route the sounds
to suite your particular needs and/or situation.

Now workflow and other considerations obviously is a personal choice with each DAW people use/prefer.

Reaper is hard to beat without having to spend big $$$ to get a flexible and functional working
DAW that can produce excellent results.

The Stillwell plugins that come with Reaper are really quite good and are basically the same as the plugins he sells,
just without the fancy graphics.
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
95 G&L Legacy
Old 03-04-2016, 10:03 AM

A lot of the proliferation of basic DAWs can be attributed to the basic recording function being taken over by API's (operating system calls) rather than application specific custom software. All the "heavy lifting" is done by the operating system and only needs a GUI built around it.

This also results in the quality of the recorded audio (less plug-ins) being about the same as it is mainly a function of the operating system.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
My story is pretty much the same.

Using Reaper is going fine, and I'm never wanting for more capabilities. However, I don't do enough editing to get deep into those features and I don't use it often enough to remember what I had previously learned.
YES! I think I've "learned" the basics about 5 times!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

HI man

Exclusively Macintosh computers and iOS devices at our house…

Main Apps now in use…
  • Logic Pro X
  • MOTU Audio Desk
  • Amadeus Pro
  • Audacity
  • Garage Band (fun to use with kids…I also use it on the iPad/iPhone)

Others which have resided at times on my hard drive and are no longer used…
  • Cubase (shipped free with an interface)
  • ProTools LE (shipped free with an interface)
  • Cakewalk

Most recording programs have the same main features…it's the plug-ins, total number of channels, exportability and editing functions which provoke my individual choices.

I can get-by with a minimalistic, free app if I'm doing a couple simple 2 channel recordings, but if I'm doing a project, it's Logic Pro X.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Ableton Live

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
... the big surprise is that Reaper is used by more respondents than Pro Tools, which to the best of my knowledge (admittedly limited) is still the industry standard.
PT became the 'industry standard' at the dawning of the recording digital age. Avid got it into all the pro studios (along with PT-dependent equipment).
It became the standard because professionals could take a PT project, and load it into any other PT-equipped system anywhere and not have to monkey around. So the Mixing engineer could send the finished mix project to the mastering engineer, who would still have the ability to go into the base
tracks and pull out any details he might want, etc.
We've come a long way since that era. Same thing with plug ins - the sheer volume of plug ins available - free and $$ - is staggering.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-04-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Same thing with plug ins - the sheer volume of plug ins available - free and $$ - is staggering.
Your not kidding, and the improvement in plugins is quite amazing.

I've recently found a folder on one of my backup drives of old plugins
I used 8-9 years ago when I was using Cakewalk. Now I can't count
how many I've "collected" over the years.

It's worse than collecting guitars!!
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
95 G&L Legacy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD