The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 PM

Default Replacing the B and thin E strings with thick, wound strings

I strum rock and roll chords on my resonator, something these instruments aren't built to do. Since it's the B and treble E strings that sound too banjo-like when I play this way, I thought of replacing them with thicker, wound strings. Maybe swap the B with a .024 and the treble E with a .023 (both G strings). Also, those two groves on the guitar nut would have to be widened.

Would this work or would it warp the guitar neck? And have other players done this, outside of asylums for the criminally insane?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Clownmeat View Post
I strum rock and roll chords on my resonator, something these instruments aren't built to do. Since it's the B and treble E strings that sound too banjo-like when I play this way, I thought of replacing them with thicker, wound strings. Maybe swap the B with a .024 and the treble E with a .023 (both G strings). Also, those two groves on the guitar nut would have to be widened.

Would this work or would it warp the guitar neck? And have other players done this, outside of asylums for the criminally insane?
High E: a .012 on a 25.5 scale length guitar is about 23 lbs of tension. An .023 UNWOUND is 86 lbs of tension.

So yeah, even if you could tune a wound .23 to E (which I doubt) you're going to have major problems with the guitar.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:26 AM

You'd be committing guitarcide.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:16 PM

HHP, your post made me chuckle.

I'm going to replace the light/extra-light b and e strings with heavy plain steel .014 and .018. ones. Maybe that will give me the tone I want.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Clownmeat View Post
...I'm going to replace the light/extra-light b and e strings with heavy plain steel .014 and .018 ones. Maybe that will give me the tone I want.
Start with a D'Addario EJ18 set and work from there...
Old 02-17-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Start with a D'Addario EJ18 set and work from there...
Interesting, that's exactly what I ordered online last night. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-15-2024, 01:26 PM

Bass VI Strings have all Wound strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments