The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Cordoba Crossover setup questions

I am new to considering a nylon string guitar, and I'm looking at the Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra. I have located a blemished one that would be a good bargain.

I asked for info on the setup and was told that it currently measures 4/32 on the low E string, and 3/32 on the high e string. There is a hair less than 4/32 on the saddle.

The setup would be a bit high for me on a steel string, but I have also heard that nylon string guitars require a higher setup. I don't know whether that is true for crossover models as well. What do you make of the current setup?

Any advice or insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:06 AM

2.4 mm and 3.2 mm. Pretty good for nylon. Probably fine as is. Maybe go down slightly on the bass side but I'd want to play it first to be sure.

hunter
Old 03-19-2019, 11:30 AM

Honestly, I think 2.4mm (at the 12th fret) for the top string may be a bit low. You could probably get away with this using high tension carbon strings.

I finger pick, and I can be a bit heavy handed (by digging in a lot). I have 2.75mm on the top string and I'm trying out a new saddle to move it up to 2.9 or 3.0mm to prevent fret slap and occasion buzzing.

We'll see how that goes.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 AM

I have an Orchestra CE (Fusion) too, and am a long time steel string player moving to nylon. I am about 6 months into owing it. From my experience where this one is at now is pretty close to the minimum height without experiencing a good bit of fret buzz.

I use high/hard tension trebles and normal/medium tension bass strings. (This model comes from the factory with Savarez HTs.) But the nature of nylon strings is to have a pretty wide arc or deflection compared to steel strings, so you have to have a bit of space for things to move.

Though your technique will need to accommodate this, I think you'll find the effort small and well worth it.

P.S. My "journey" moving from steel strings may be similar to yours. I've got a couple of threads on this forum, and a post on YouTube (search there for "Another Gray Picker") with more details about "crossing over".

1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE
2021 Alvarez AP66ESHB Parlor
2020 Fender Special Custom Telecaster FMT
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
198? Electra X930 Vulcan

Last edited by lkjjr; 03-20-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:28 AM

Thank you all for the responses. They were very helpful in my decision to pursue purchase of the guitar!

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical