The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Default 1943/44 Gibson Banner J-45 acoustic guitar

I have wrestled with this decision for a while, as this has been my #1 guitar for 10 years and is the best I've ever owned. Alas, life priorities change and I'm considering moving it along to the right owner.

This is a rare opportunity to own a fully restored Banner J-45 at a price and condition that allows you to play it often, take it to jams, perform with it, etc. It has definitely seen a lot in its 75 years of play, but is 100% solid and stable, and in great playing shape. Needs nothing.

Ten years ago I was taking lessons from a friend who had a mahogany-topped banner, and I was eager to find one. Another friend of mine tracked this one down at a guitar show in the southeast, fresh from restoration. I was told that David Sheppard did the work, although I have no way of verifying that. The case was labeled "the Ugly Assassin", which I find to be an apt description. Apparently it caused quite a stir at the guitar show, and long story short I've owned it ever since. Over the time I've owned it, I've played probably 10 other banners, all more expensive and none better playing/sounding. It gets a lot of attention, and at various times has been in the hands of Jorma Kaukonen, Larry Coryell, Stefan Grossman, and a few others.

I'll try to be as accurate as I can with the description, questions are always welcome.

- Factory order number 2315-27, dating to late 1943 or early 1944. Registered in the Banner Registry.

- One-piece mahogany top. Original pickguard with one small repaired crack below. One other small square-shaped gouge on the upper bout that is also well-repaired and stable. Original top finish.

- New bridge, period correct and properly installed. It looks like a larger bridge had been installed and removed previously.

- One-piece mahogany back and sides. Several large cracks that look like they may have resulted from a drop. A bit ugly, but all of the cracks have been properly repaired and are 100% stable.

- One-piece mahogany neck with inlaid maple strip beneath the fingerboard. No metal truss rod due to wartime material shortages. Very full rounded neck profile, as these banners are prone to have. Refretted with what looks to be medium-wide fret wire, very comfortable playing action. Fingerboard has a few wear spots that have been properly filled.

- Original tuners with replaced plastic buttons. You can see a footprint where other tuners had been installed at one point.

- K&K Pure Western Mini pickup installed with vintage jack.

I will sell the guitar and custom blue Calton case for $4,200 + shipping and Paypal fees. I'll throw in my copy of John Thomas's excellent book "Kalamazoo Gals" about the banner Gibsons. U.S. customers only, I don't want to deal with international shipping and customs.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique

Last edited by Aaron Smith; 03-18-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Here's a demo of the guitar being strummed.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 AM

Fingerstyle blues demo.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Flatpicking demo. I'm a lousy flatpicker, please ignore the clunker notes.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 03-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Pm sent! Thanks!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:10 PM

KILLER! Sounds great, and even better for a hog top.

Good luck with the sale.....it's a keeper IMO!
Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 PM

It looks like there are some cracks at the back and side. Could you help take clearer photos of them inside and outside?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 AM

I wanted to post clearer pictures of the back and sides. As I described in the OP, they don't look great cosmetically but all of the repairs have been rock solid for the 10 years that I've had the guitar. The guitar is priced well below market to account for the cosmetics.

Hairline crack below pickguard:

Square crack on upper bout. The top still has the original finish.

Two longitudinal cracks along the grain of the back, and many surface scratches. Original finish on back.

A better picture of the top finish.

Upper side of the guitar. Several long cracks, repaired and stable. I believe the finish on the sides has been oversprayed to protect the repairs.

Lower side. Similar cracks to upper side, patch inserted where a jack used to be.

Rectangular patch on the bottom, and vintage jack for K&K pickup.

Daylight photo of back.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 03-19-2019, 08:58 AM

SOLD PENDING ACCEPTANCE

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 03-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Somewhere in the last few days I saw (somewhere) a Want To Buy post looking for a 40's Gibson in this price range. Well, here it is. With a Calton case.
I own an old Gibson that makes this one look rather good. It sounds and plays great and allowed me to get into a model that would have been unattainable otherwise.

I PM'd Aaron suggesting that, particularly with the Calton, this would sell immediately and perhaps he wasn't asking enough.

Don't make me a fibber , this guitar sounds great.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Somewhere in the last few days I saw (somewhere) a Want To Buy post looking for a 40's Gibson in this price range. Well, here it is. With a Calton case.
I own an old Gibson that makes this one look rather good. It sounds and plays great and allowed me to get into a model that would have been unattainable otherwise.

I PM'd Aaron suggesting that, particularly with the Calton, this would sell immediately and perhaps he wasn't asking enough.

Don't make me a fibber , this guitar sounds great.
That was me. It is a wonderful guitar by the looks and sound, indeed and I’m happy it’s going to a new home to be played for a long time. I’m still building up the nerve to spend that kind of money on a guitar unplayed, let alone a vintage one. This was likely the perfect guitar for me tho. Onward!

Last edited by Guitylerham; 03-19-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitylerham View Post
That was me. It is a wonderful guitar by the looks and sound, indeed and I’m happy it’s going to a new home to be played for a long time. I’m still building up the nerve to spend that kind of money on a guitar unplayed, let alone a vintage one. This was likely the perfect guitar for me tho. Onward!

Nice, I was going to buy this but unplayed scares me with the various necks back then. Anyways, where are you located?
Old 03-19-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
Nice, I was going to buy this but unplayed scares me with the various necks back then. Anyways, where are you located?
I’m in Seattle. If I had more disposable income, I’d consider buying and selling online until I found the one I loved. But shipping back and fourth is always stressful for both parties and there’s no guarantee you’ll get your investment cost back!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for their interest. The buyer is someone I sold a guitar to in the past. I'll be sorry to see this one go, it's a honey.

1943 Gibson J-45
Voyage Air VAOM-4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars