The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2021, 12:03 PM

Default New Martin Action Questions

I just bought a New Martin GPC 11-e I'm very happy with the guitar except one major disappointment. It came with the action ridiculously high. I know Martins have high action, but it was unplayable. I had to file the nut and lower the bone bridge (by sanding it) Now for some reason the D string has this loud creaking noise when I tune it. I put silicon slip on the bridge and nut but it still squeaks. Could it be a bad string ? I also had to order a hex key it looks like there's a lot of relief in the neck.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm no expert but I'd have checked and set the neck relief using the truss rid before I ever went after the saddle less still the nut slots. My D18 had a high action whdn I played it in the shop and it just needed a turn of the truss rod to get it within a pretty comfortable margin. I'll see how I feel about it in a couple of months before I consider adjusting the saddle.

I don't know why your d string squeaks. If it's only when you tune, it could be stemming from your tuner I suppose. If it is not bothering when you play I would ignore it and see if it carries over to the next string when you change them. If it does, further investigation of the tuning machine is probably warranted.

Last edited by Coler; 07-25-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:43 PM

I recently made the mistake of lowering the saddle before fixing the relief. Cost me $32 to get a new saddle after the relief was correct. Live and learn.

Squeaky string often is pinching in the nut, since you've already gone there maybe widen that slot a little and try some pencil lead. I only let pros handle my nuts.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:40 PM

Thanks, for the help.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Yes, best to first check relief. Filing the nut slots shouldn't be a problem if you used the usual method of fretting the string between frets 2 and 3, then filing the slot so the string lies just above the 1st fret. That won't depend on what the relief was. Depending on how much you have to dial back the relief after you get the wrench, you may find the saddle is too low, but hopefully not. The D string slot probably just needs to be widened a bit to keep it from binding.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 PM

Here's a video off of StuMac with tips on getting the slot filed correctly so not to bind the string as it exits the nut going to the tuner. You should be able to lift the string out of the nut slot without it binding there.https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...-from-a-blank/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion