The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Italy wins! = 524 points

UK = 0 points

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Paul McCartney...greatest pop artist ever?

Agreement here. I’ve long said this, Paul is the best musician of our generation. Songs, bass lines, singing, longevity, sales, popularity...but especially songs written.
Perhaps if John had lived longer, there would be a comparison.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

OK...prove me wrong.
I won't. He's the GOAT
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 05-22-2021, 06:31 PM

As a huge Beatles fan you'll get no disagreement from me. In my subjective opinion Sir Paul McCartney is a living legend and a few notches above everyone.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
but after going solo succeeded only in trashing his own reputation.
How so? Curious
Old 05-22-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I’m 64.

Been listening to a lot of Beatles recently and am convinced that Sir Paul is the greatest pop artist of all time. Why?
And who else has written a song about your exact age bracket?
Old 05-22-2021, 07:40 PM

I think Paul had as many #1 Hits with Wings as with the Beatles.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
How old are you? The Beatles became famous in the 60s. And about five or six of their albums came out before 1965.
I'll be 76 in a week. During those days, my interests ran mostly to Wes Montgomery, Johnny Smith, Merle Travis, and Chet Atkins. I really didn't have any interest in vocal music and still don't. About the only vocal stuff I listen to is Norman Blake, Doc Watson, and some old stuff like the Delmore Brothers and Floyd Tillman along with Ella Fitzgerald, Sinatra, and Rosemary Clooney. I was brought up on big band, western swing, and old (30's & 40s) country.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sa View Post
I think Paul had as many #1 Hits with Wings as with the Beatles.
Surprisingly, no.

The Beatles had 20#1 hits and 34 Top Ten.

Paul McCartney & Wings had only 1 single #1* and 12 Top Ten.

* That #1 was 'Mull of Kintyre' one of the biggest selling singles in UK history.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 05-22-2021 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Sorry, no.

The Beatles had 20#1 hits and 34 Top Ten.

Paul McCartney & Wings had only 1 #1* and 12 Top Ten.

* That #1 was 'Mull of Kintyre' one of the biggest selling singles in UK history.
I don’t judge the quality of music by how many records are sold.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:07 PM

I think he is . Can’t think of anyone as talented in so many areas of music. He’s forgotten more beautiful melodies than most bands have written.
He’s also the consummate performer and arguably the smoothest bassist ever.
Scott
Old 05-22-2021, 10:36 PM

Louis Armstrong.

He defined swing. He was one of the greatest instrumentalists in a genre where instrumental virtuosity is commonplace (and there is nothing “common” about Armstrong’s playing). And after creating the template for instrumental virtuosity in jazz, he went on to almost singlehandedly create jazz singing.

He isn’t just the greatest pop musician of the twentieth century, he is among the greatest musicians of any genre.

We forget that for the first 50 years of the 20th century, jazz was the dominant pop music in America.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:12 PM

I don't think Paul McCartney would actually like the word "Pop". The Beatles was a Rock 'n' Roll band and then they morphed into something else as their skills and musicianship grew. Paul was a Rock 'n' roller and a folk artist and a Hard Rocker and a Heavy Metalist, and a crooner, and occasionally, a pop artist. He collaborated with the New Wave artist, Elvis Costello on Veronica, a beautiful song and he helped Donovan on Mellow Yellow. He gave songs away like Goodbye to Mary Hopkins, much like Fats Waller would. He learned how to play pretty much every instrument in the orchestra. He and John could add a harmony to the other's song and the harmony was so clever you could not tell any longer which line was the melody and which line was the harmony. Drug use initially helped their songwriting flourish and then it seemed to suck them dry. John's post Beatles hits outnumbered Paul's and for a while George's post Beatles songs eclipsed them both. From something Paul said about George's contribution to the band, he made me realize that George's intros were a big reason for the band's success. It might be good to remember that each Beatle had to submit his song to the others and then they would vote on it.

I like to argue that I liked John's writing more than Paul but if hard pressed, I would probably back down on that. John and Paul wrote hundreds of songs before they wrote their first hit. Rod Stewart only knew five chords on the guitar when he wrote Maggie May. Hmmm.

As for being the Greatest Pop Star of all time? He might consider that an insult. For some of us "pop" has the connotation of Bubblegum music. There's good bubblegum music and lots of bad bubblegum music. My favorite Bubblegum artist would be Cyndi Lauper. Although she's a cover artist, still, she took Bubblegum and turned it into high art, clever writing and melodies, and while other pop artists were doing photo shoots suggesting beastiality and gyrating their hips while grabbing their crotch, Cyndi used Martha Graham-like choreography.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh View Post
It might be good to remember that each Beatle had to submit his song to the others and then they would vote on it.
To me that was the fundamental difference between Beatles era Paul and post-Beatle Paul.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-23-2021, 03:21 AM

Impossible to prove wrong the OPs opinion ,nor would I wish to try, Macca is the man for him and that's absolutely fine.
For my tastes Macca is over rated, much of his solo stuff is poor. But then I never really liked the Beatles either but accept they are an untouchable legend and have their rightful place in music history. Its all so subjective, and not a league table of merit, this artist over that, some of us like one thing some another. The age we are must come into it too, many of us learned guitar to Beatles songs and that will in itself give a favourable view.
I mean no disrespect to the Beatles and Macca, nor to those that love their music, but some find their inspiration elsewhere.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion