The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2021, 11:35 AM

Yeah, but don't forget Lennon. The two greatest songwriters of all time.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The Beatles inspired me to learn guitar, I love Paul and all the tunes he wrote, but....

Music isn't a contest.
This sums up my sentiments rather precisely. During the first third of the Beatles’ recording career they were extremely fortunate to have John Lennon dominating their songwriting output because Paul, his one or two brilliant songs per album aside during this early period, didn’t really come into his own until later in the band’s existence.

So, yes, Paul is peerless in terms of his importance to popular music over the past sixty years. But even he had to start somewhere.

And it’s not a contest.....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-22-2021, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Around the end of the '70s, I was in my favorite 5 beers for a buck bar; D'jais in Belmar NJ on a Saturday afternoon. Now this was in the days of 18 year old drinking so I can't be sure how old the sweet young bikini topped girl I was talking to actually was. Paul and Wings came on the stereo and I asked her if she liked them. She said ''Sure, but did you know he was in another band before Wings''. She didn't know their name but that they were pretty good. I figured we had reached a generation gap here and I'd better go looking for someone a little older to waste my time with!
Old 05-22-2021, 12:24 PM

In terms of notoriety, influence, longevity, ability, and a back catalog of hits, I'm not sure I can hold anyone else up to Paul McCartney.

I took my dad to see him in concert a couple years ago. It was fantastic. Sure, Paul's past his prime, but he was having a blast and can still rip it on bass, guitar, and piano, and his vocals are still great all things considered. Afterwards, my dad and I were talking about how he could have played an entirely different set list and it would have still been full of more hits than most famous pop/rock artists could ever dream of.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:27 PM

If we are limiting this to rock and ignoring bubble gum pop (you know, Taylor Swift and the like), Tom Petty is my popular music king. Sir Paul had a lot more help from his friends.

And yes, totally a matter of opinion.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Around the end of the '70s, I was in my favorite 5 beers for a buck bar; D'jais in Belmar NJ on a Saturday afternoon. Now this was in the days of 18 year old drinking so I can't be sure how old the sweet young bikini topped girl I was talking to actually was. Paul and Wings came on the stereo and I asked her if she liked them. She said ''Sure, but did you know he was in another band before Wings''. She didn't know their name but that they were pretty good. I figured we had reached a generation gap here and I'd better go looking for someone a little older to waste my time with!
That's funny! and D'jais is still going strong!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 05-22-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Billy Crystal used tell that joke.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I'll just vote "I don't know" because pop music is a non entity to me. Not really familiar with the artists or their music. I can honestly say that in 60 years of playing, I could probably count the number of times I've played a Beatles song on one hand. I rarely listen to or play anything newer than 1965. Nothing against it but I'm too old to appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I'll just vote "I don't know" because pop music is a non entity to me. Not really familiar with the artists or their music. I can honestly say that in 60 years of playing, I could probably count the number of times I've played a Beatles song on one hand. I rarely listen to or play anything newer than 1965. Nothing against it but I'm too old to appreciate it.
How old are you? The Beatles became famous in the 60s. And about five or six of their albums came out before 1965.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

First of all, I just don't believe in a "best ever" or GOAT in any sport or entertainment category. But if I was to pick one, it wouldn't be Paul. I mean, he's objectively among the pantheon of greats, but there are a number of artists who's work I enjoy far more - his co-writer was one of them. So it's basically a subjective task, and my subjectives say no, he's not. But I bet he doesn't care what any of us think - I'm sure he's happy with his career and life, for the most part, and is happily riding off into the sunset in his dotage and doing it with a good measure of class.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 05-22-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
Billy Crystal used tell that joke.
If he didn't tell the part about 5 beers for a buck, then he wasn't there!
Old 05-22-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I’m 64 and saw the Sullivan show. There.

Been listening to a lot of Beatles recently and am convinced that Sir Paul is the greatest pop artist of all time. Why?
  • Look at the songs! NO one has written more iconic tunes. No one.
  • Magic melodies and lasting lyrics
  • Superb musicianship
  • A voice that does it all...from sweet ballads (Michelle) to raucous rock (Helter Skelter)
  • Composes serious music as well
  • Multi-faceted instrumentalist-bass, guitar, piano
  • Philanthropist
  • Longevity

OK...prove me wrong.
Given the criteria you're not wrong.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-22-2021, 01:12 PM

It's a question that of course has no real answer. I do have to agree that Paul would have to be right up there - few others were great performers AND songwriters. Others that come to mind are James Taylor, Brian Wilson and Carole King. Of course there were greats before the rock era - Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole and Fats Waller to name a few. How about Antonio Carlos Jobim - amazing song writer, decent musician and performer.
Old 05-22-2021, 01:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
In terms of notoriety, influence, longevity, ability, and a back catalog of hits, I'm not sure I can hold anyone else up to Paul McCartney.

I took my dad to see him in concert a couple years ago. It was fantastic. Sure, Paul's past his prime, but he was having a blast and can still rip it on bass, guitar, and piano, and his vocals are still great all things considered. Afterwards, my dad and I were talking about how he could have played an entirely different set list and it would have still been full of more hits than most famous pop/rock artists could ever dream of.
I think one could make a very good case for this, when we embrace him as both a brilliant songwriter AND an amazing live performer, plus the longevity. Pretty hard to top.

scott memmer
Old 05-22-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
I think it’s pointless to say who’s the best. Why can’t we just agree Paul is on the mount Rushmore a pop artist.
Only if John and George are up there with him.

No need to add Ringo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion