The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old 03-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
That will be a stunning guitar. How could it not be with Mark's touch and those woods! That Bubinga is special.
Thanks Tom! The colors will really pop when I put the black binding on this one.
The fretboard inlay colors and additional abalone will also dress things up quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
..to that Bubinga.. it looks like a reflection on a water surface in late light... a bit browner, ok...👌🏻
Thanks Lonzo, the figure has a real sparkle. I see your comparison with water reflections. It is even more pronounced when I move it under light.

Thanks for e comments!
Mark
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #152  
Old 03-24-2021, 06:17 AM
John Osthoff's Avatar
John Osthoff John Osthoff is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Becket MA, USA
Posts: 801
Default

Great work Mark,

Thanks for the nice detail shots. I appreciate the time you put into taking such great photos. My shots from the shop are much more candid. I should at least clean up a bit
__________________
John O
Osthoff Guitars
  #153  
Old 03-25-2021, 02:14 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Great work Mark,

Thanks for the nice detail shots. I appreciate the time you put into taking such great photos. My shots from the shop are much more candid. I should at least clean up a bit
You're welcome John, glad to see you posting!
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #154  
Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default Binding

I'm excited to finish up the trim work on this guitar this week. It will be done with Black Ebony and the top will have abalone purfling.
This is the first Penelope I have done with an arm bevel which will also be Black Ebony. The body binding is pretty much all glued in so Monday I'll finish up the arm bevel and clean everything up:



Thank for viewing!
Mark
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #155  
Old 03-30-2021, 06:16 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default Front Progress Shot

Here are a couple pictures of the Penelope x-over. I've capped the arm bevel and cleaned it up enough for a peak of thing to come:





Thanks for following along!
Mark
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #156  
Old 03-30-2021, 07:35 AM
Lonzo Lonzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Here are a couple pictures of the Penelope x-over. I've capped the arm bevel and cleaned it up enough for a peak of thing to come:





Thanks for following along!
Mark
Such nice guitars we get to see here, the above 2 to start with, and in other current threads... thanks for sharing ! A joy to watch and follow along!
  #157  
Old 03-31-2021, 03:57 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
Such nice guitars we get to see here, the above 2 to start with, and in other current threads... thanks for sharing ! A joy to watch and follow along!
Thanks Lonzo!
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #158  
Old 03-31-2021, 06:27 AM
John Osthoff's Avatar
John Osthoff John Osthoff is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Becket MA, USA
Posts: 801
Default

Hey Mark,

I took a couple of minutes this morning as I was trying to wake up with a cup of coffee to go back through this thread. Thanks for your great posts.

First off, you need to have a messier shop, you are making me look bad.

I really like the Larry Robinson Inlay on the fretboard. He is an incredible talent. I have sketches somewhere in my office (Please don't show me how organized your office is ) Anyway, I have hoped to do some sort of (new) vine flower at some point. It will take some inspiration to get the sketches to implementation. Another thing on my list of things to do.

The wood sets are gorgeous. I love the tree set and the Bubinga is not too shabby either.

On another note, I see you are using the Irwin Quick grip mini bar clamps. You obviously like them. Mine are terrible. They have no clamping power and slip. It is not just one bad one, the whole bunch of them slip. I still have them but only use them when I don't need much pressure. I hate to throw stuff away, but (mine) are junk.
__________________
John O
Osthoff Guitars
  #159  
Old 04-01-2021, 05:23 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Hey Mark,

I took a couple of minutes this morning as I was trying to wake up with a cup of coffee to go back through this thread. Thanks for your great posts.

First off, you need to have a messier shop, you are making me look bad.

I really like the Larry Robinson Inlay on the fretboard. He is an incredible talent. I have sketches somewhere in my office (Please don't show me how organized your office is ) Anyway, I have hoped to do some sort of (new) vine flower at some point. It will take some inspiration to get the sketches to implementation. Another thing on my list of things to do.

The wood sets are gorgeous. I love the tree set and the Bubinga is not too shabby either.

On another note, I see you are using the Irwin Quick grip mini bar clamps. You obviously like them. Mine are terrible. They have no clamping power and slip. It is not just one bad one, the whole bunch of them slip. I still have them but only use them when I don't need much pressure. I hate to throw stuff away, but (mine) are junk.
Thanks John, My only secret to keeping the shop organized is the only things in the shop are for building guitars. If it isn't an active participant it's out of there!

I started using those Irwin Quick clamps a long time ago when I was building cedar strip kayaks. They were black back then. They worked great then and they work great now. They are lightweight and the clamping force is easily adjustable and I am never short on clamping force. I particularly like how easily they are used one handed.

The only slip I ever have is they can slip out of their rubber shoe if I don't line them up correctly. So there you have it, maybe you got stuck with some knock off?



Thanks for your comments
Mark
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #160  
Old 04-01-2021, 10:54 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Hey Mark,

On another note, I see you are using the Irwin Quick grip mini bar clamps. You obviously like them. Mine are terrible. They have no clamping power and slip. It is not just one bad one, the whole bunch of them slip. I still have them but only use them when I don't need much pressure. I hate to throw stuff away, but (mine) are junk.
John, I was wondering how you and I could have such different experiences with those Irwin clamps so I did a little research. You mentioned Irwin quick grip mini bar clamps. That is not what I am using. I am using the quick grip bar clamps which is the next one up in strength.
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #161  
Old 04-01-2021, 03:31 PM
BEJ BEJ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 106
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks John, My only secret to keeping the shop organized is the only things in the shop are for building guitars. If it isn't an active participant it's out of there!

I started using those Irwin Quick clamps a long time ago when I was building cedar strip kayaks. They were black back then. They worked great then and they work great now. They are lightweight and the clamping force is easily adjustable and I am never short on clamping force. I particularly like how easily they are used one handed.

The only slip I ever have is they can slip out of their rubber shoe if I don't line them up correctly. So there you have it, maybe you got stuck with some knock off?



Thanks for your comments
Mark
Mark, I think with a little more careful placement you could get 3-4 more clamps in there.
  #162  
Old 04-01-2021, 05:51 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Mark, I think with a little more careful placement you could get 3-4 more clamps in there.
Hey use 'em if you got 'em
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #163  
Old 04-05-2021, 09:43 AM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default "Tree" Josie small jumbo update

I've been quietly working away these past several weeks french polishing the top of this "Tree" Josie small jumbo. I am now getting to the last steps in this process:



I've also been picking away at some of the other final details like mounting the gold Waverly slot head tuners with Snakewood buttons:



I'm really looking forward to seeing this fat lady sing!
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
  #164  
Old 04-05-2021, 10:14 AM
nootis's Avatar
nootis nootis is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sin City
Posts: 848
Default

That is looking quite beautiful Mark!
  #165  
Old 04-05-2021, 03:21 PM
Mark Hatcher's Avatar
Mark Hatcher Mark Hatcher is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Peterborough, New Hampshire
Posts: 3,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
That is looking quite beautiful Mark!
Thank you nootis. I am getting the French polish to blend well into the other finish. The top of the arm bevel is the urethane finish so there just isn’t any need to touch the French polish at all when playing.
__________________
Mark Hatcher
www.hatcherguitars.com

“We learn who we are in practice, not theory”
David Epstein
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=